Change background image

Nice Article on Nick Wittgren

Discussion in 'Minor League Baseball' started by Entendu, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Entendu

Entendu sXe

There's also a video. I've linked the page below.

I think this guy is going to be pretty good. I love our bullpen's future outlook.
    BenderRobot likes this.
  2. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Sweet.
    Maybe a midseason callup, eh?
  3. Eddie Altamonte

Eddie Altamonte Hammerhead

No Doubt in my mind if not mid-season he will be a September call up once the roster is expanded
    He could just make the team in April if the Marlins feel their Bullpen Depth is too thin, I know there is no need to rush players and start their arbitration eligibility clock but this kid is ML ready in every way. He doesn't need to work on any pitches and mechanics-wise they don't come any more sounder (if that is an actual term). The way he pitches he could have 100 appearances right now with no wear whatsoever on his arm... Wittgren and Cishek together would make a ballgame a 7 inning game ...that is pretty tempting! You add Ramos and Dunn into the mix and that is a solid bullpen, after the 6th inning, it would be pretty much bagels for every one. Capps looks to be talented but he was pretty hittable, he had problems with left-handed hitters and gave up too many HRs, Marlins stadium should keep more balls in the park for him, but he will still need to work on his vulnerability against left-handed hitters. At this moment Wittgren is a much more finished product than Capps and Capps would actually be the one pitcher that would keep him off the Roster in April
  4. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Eddie, while I do believe in Wittgren, I think you're going a tad bit overboard there. He has barely pitched at the Double-A level. I agree he has been exceptional at every level, and I certainly hope that continues, but to say he is ML ready in every single way is questionable to say the least. You might even be right, but that's certainly an assumption.
  5. Eddie Altamonte

Eddie Altamonte Hammerhead

I thought I would be called out on saying that Wittgren is more ML ready than Capps, because that was my own opinion, in reference to Wittgen being ML ready was the post AFL scouting profile posted by Entendu that clearly explains why Wittgren is so successful even though he can't throw a baseball through a brickwall. When you look at Nick Wittgren 2 things jump at you
    1. Physical Maturity
    2. Pitching IQ
    This is from the MLB article cited by Entendu
    "Wittgren has shown deception, command, control, repertoire, an ability to strike out hitters, and most importantly, he can slam the door on the opposition at the end of the game.
    Most of Wittgren's success is based upon repeating his delivery with little to no wasted effort. He is smooth and deliberate. Wittgren finds his rhythm quickly and remains in sync from the first batter he faces to the last. He is equally tough against right- or left-handed hitters".
    I am not a scout but lets make a checklist on what a Pitcher needs to be successful to be a ML reliever
    quality of pitches
    repertoire
    control and ability to locate pitches
    ability to mix pitches
    Deceptive Delivery
    solid pitching mechanics
    If you go by that Wittgren has a checkmark on each
    I am not saying he is a finished product, I am saying that besides the fact that he has had a brief minor league career
    he is an extremely polished pitcher right now...He is almost unhittable and has pinpoint control and 3 plus pitches
    He also has rock solid pitching mechanics
    I don't know if has troubled holding runners on base because if they are already on they never score and he rarely puts any runners on himself
    He shows confidence and a very high pitching IQ
    What else would he need to show to be ML ready?
    floridafly likes this.
  6. dim

dim President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

7. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

Seriously the pen is in really good shape. I mean there's enough randomness in relievers that they might just be okay instead of great from one year to the next, but they are at least set with capable bodies and depth in the minors for years, and with any luck they'll be really good.

That's one thing the org has gotten right lately. Develop your own relievers.
  8. Entendu

Entendu sXe

There's still backwardness when it comes to relievers. A savvy organization should take advantage of the fact that closers are valued higher than any other reliever while providing the exact same service (if not less)