Change background image

Stanton Open to Return- With Security

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Jagsfreak27, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Jagsfreak27

Jagsfreak27 Grasshopper

2. MarlinsLou

MarlinsLou Bonifaciennes Unite!

Stanton doesn't want to stay in Miami. He will if they throw a boatload of cash at him and the years are limited enough to allow him to be a free agent in his prime (huge). It's that simple. 5 years, $90-100 million. That will get it done and thats all the Marlins can hope for at this time. next offseason, when he is guaranteed another significant arbitration tender, makes it worse and no shot they offer him a contract $200+ million because this is Loria we're talking about.

Enjoy him while he is here.
  3. mystikol87

mystikol87 Boom Shaka Laka VIP

This isn't really a positive statement from Stanton, as far as staying on the Marlins is concerned. OP, I think you're misreading the situation. Also, this was already posted in the other thread about Stanton.
  4. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Can't say the guy is shy about speaking his mind...
  5. Jagsfreak27

Jagsfreak27 Grasshopper

He used the words "very pleased" when describing the Fish. I can't remember the last time I heard that from a Marlins star.
  6. Entendu

Entendu sXe

This is what he said:

He said he's very pleased with his situation. I interpret that as being pleased with the way his career is turning out. I'm pretty sure he's not 'very pleased' with the organization.
  7. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

I took it as he is happy with the current contract. Him saying he dosen't want to deal with negotiations during the season seems to escape some people here. "Just throw more $$$ at him. It's the cure all."
  8. MarlinsLou

Locking yourself (and your grand children) up for life with $50 million after taxes, paying your agent, etc. (assuming its around a $90-100 deal) is certainly not a cure all to a guy who has made under $2 million in his career and has a modest arbitration tender for $6.5 million (pre-tax) right now. If he gets seriously hurt - that's it. You are naive to think Stanton would turn down a massive 4-5 years extension that sets him up for life and allows him to be a free agent in his prime under 30 years old. That's the balance - set yourself up for life, but don't drastically limit your financial potential and give away prime years you can sell in free agency (you can bet your ass when Trout signs an extension with Angels, he will demand he becomes a free agent 29-30 years old and if not the Angels are going to seriously pay for it. Angels can maybe afford that, Marlins cannot, plus Stanton's not so secret desire to get back out West). Risking your financial future is not worth it when faced with the reality you have 2 more arbitration years and 3 seasons where something could go wrong. It's not smart and bad business compared to "oh I just hate the Marlins." So what, it's the longterm what Stanton's agent is going to hammer into his head and say, listen you are risking a ton by not taking this guaranteed money right now, and maybe it works out, but maybe it doesn't. $100 million is big gamble.

You take the money. It's obvious. There is no doubt in my mind if they offered him 5/$100 extension before the season (before the HR barrage starts) he signs quickly and is thrilled. It is silly to think otherwise. It is the cure all, for Stanton. Now if he was a year away from free agency, and already has two years of arbitration and two 35+ HR seasons under his belt in 2014/2015, this analysis is radically different and you go to free agency. But 3 years out? No way sir.
  9. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

Losing is no fun, so I read into what he said is that he won't accept a long term contract from the Fish if they don't start trying to win. That being said, the pitching staff is looking pretty good for the future. If the Marlins just spent a little more money for a couple of legit veteran hitters to put in front and behind Stanton in the lineup, I think the can be a good team and convince him to stay.
  10. This is a good point in the sense that "team security" doesn't automatically mean three world championships, 12 guys with long term no trade clause deals, and Loria himself being ousted. Team security could be a vague term and Stanton is the only who knows what he has in mind.
  11. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

He's going to cost more than $100 mil in a long-term deal, just look at what Freeman got.

also that 'pleased' comment was the fact that the team didn't lowball him on the 1-year deal he just got. They could have taken him to arbitration, but obviously they are trying to keep him as happy as they can for now.
  12. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

I think its too late for the marlins to sign him. It wouldn't make sense to me to sign him for 5 @ 100m when this team can't afford 2ply in the bathrooms. Trade him sometime this season and thats that.
  13. MarlinsLou

Freeman's deal is 8 years, Stanton getting $75-100 over 4-5 and to free agency sooner (Freeman will not be a free agent in prime), is significantly more valuable looking at the total deal.
  14. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

15. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

Pretty much right on. Missed the fact he didn't want to even talk about long term right now, just the one year deal. And keeping him as happy as they can for now also means not forcing him to think about any other contract. IOW, don't try to force feed him something he dosen't want. If they REALLY want to keep him they will have to sign some guys/names to no trade, long term contracts. If they don't do that then them continuously "leaking" they want to sign him long term is just public relations crap. So if things don't work out with him being here they can always say, "We tried our best. It's his fault he's gone."
  16. ...

... Sun

You entirely miss the point that he WILL sign for 4-5 years for 75-100 mill if it's offered, and it probably will be, assuming that some ridiculous trade offer doesn't come along. No matter what he or anyone says about the state of the team or anything else. Doesn't matter if Loria is bankrupt, some MLB team is gonna pay him every single dime of that money.

Everyone with 2 firing synapses on the planet would sign that deal, as opposed to possibly winding up with relative peanuts in the event of a serious or career-ending injury in the next 2-3 years. And we're talking about a guy with some experience of being on the DL for extended periods of time.

If there is a Marlins offer, when he signs it he'll be thinking about the 6-7 year deal for 200+ mill that he'll sign when he's 28-29.

It's a lot easier to take the long view of 200 mill when you already have 100 in the bank than it is to take the long view of 100 mill when you have 2 mill in the bank. (Divide everything by 2 to take account of federal and state income taxes, agents, managers, etc.)
  17. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

Exactly, there is simply no chance Stanton would decline a 100 mil deal right now. It's not a question.
  18. YearOneMarlinFan

YearOneMarlinFan Grasshopper

Does anyone here really think that, after the failed attempt in 2012, Loria is going to sign a some big-bat veterans to long-term, no trade deals in order to keep Stanton? It doesn't seem likely to me.
    ColorNapkin likes this.
  19. ...

... Sun

Loria doesn't need to sign anyone to keep Stanton, he just has to offer him the money. And even Stanton's deal wouldn't be no-trade, they don't do that, nor should they. Stanton would have zero objection to any deal that could trade him only to any CA team. But even that will never happen, it'll be trade me anytime, anywhere you want to.

They're hoping that Yelich, Ozuna, Moran, etc. provide good bats and they can trade excess pitching for any others they need, plugging in cheap FAs where needed.

The next deal after Stanton is to lock up Fernandez. The extra 25 mill/yr from the new MLB TV deal should be enough to cover those two guys. Beyond that, fans have to show up. The 2012 disaster happened because they spent, sucked, lost a lot of games, fans didn't show up and they lost about 60 mill for the year. That situation is not comparable to anything possible going forward.
  20. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

no I don't either. You could argue he probably had that in the back of his head when they went out & got Salty (he's not a huge FA but you get the idea).

But yeah what Loria is probabaly banking on is that the Eo/Alvarez/Yelich/Ozuna gang all look like really good pieces of a contending team this year. And that at least some of Heaney/Conley/Marisnick/Moran/Dietrich/etc tear it up in the minors.
    Because then it's not really a matter of needing to go sign a bunch of pricey FA talent to surround Stanton. They'll have enough to make a run at it, just fill a hole here & there, and pick from the AA/AAA guys.

Course there's probably 12 other teams with that same outlook right now...

More likely is that they sit on their hands, make him an offer too late, then deal him for a young SP and infield prospect.