Change background image

Stanton Open to Return- With Security

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Jagsfreak27, Feb 12, 2014.

1. MarlinsLou

MarlinsLou Bonifaciennes Unite!

The people have spoken
    Wild Card likes this.
  2. MarlinsLou

Yep. This decision has already been made. Not signing him longterm the last two off seasons is a clear indication he is (somehow) not in their plans moving forward. They don't want to invest money in him. Maybe it's because they project his knees to breakdown next few years, or think the K's catch up to him, or are really confident in Yelich/Marisnick/Ozuna/Keys/Solarzano/etc. and plugging in one year stopgaps to cover the outfield for cheap the next few years so Stanton is worth more in a trade to get another 1/2 SP and some infielders (which then begs the question why don't do they do that now and supercharge Seattle…), or that they are just cheap and don't want to invest in the team prior to the inevitable Loria sale.

Whatever the reason, it just is what it is. Let's hope they get their heads out of their asses for Fernandez who amazingly is a more important piece than Stanton. They already botched his service time not keeping him down 20 days last year to get another year of service (the super 2 deadline is Juneish, but the extra year of service is end of April… such an amazing mistake that will cost them another $15-20 million if they keep him. They are so good at wasting money its unreal for a small market club), so hopefully they fix that wrong with a big deal next offseason assuming he brings it again this year.
    mystikol87 likes this.
  3. Entendu

Entendu sXe

There are almost no bats available next offseason - even less than this offseason. I hope they just pull the plug on a deal during the deadline or next offseason. If we wait beyond that, then this front office might literally just be retarded.
  4. MarlinsLou

Well, if they get a bat for Cishek at the deadline (likely), they rush Moran to 3B summer 2015 because that is what they do, and trade one of Eovaldi/Alvarez/Turner for a bat (and call up Heaney for the # 4 and sign a veteran SP for 1 year so your rotation is covered and not exposing any of the young SP depth to soon), you've potentially added 3 impact bats to a starting lineup of Stanton, Yelich, Salty, Marisnick/Ozuna, Hech, and G. Jones/Baker (assuming they platoon them….), and still maybe have some excess of Nicolino, Flynn, Conley, DeScalfani, Urena, Koehler, etc. to trade for more bats. It's kind of a nice scenario.

But the issue is, then Stanton is plucked off the team when the team is really rocking and rolling once everyone has their feet wet for 2-4 years… which is why they need to sign him so they have everyone under control during the "peak" years they have everybody on a low payroll and to go for it. Thus, the whole reoccurring "no vision" part.

It's just aggravating. They have really done a good job acquiring talent last 2 years and positioning themselves with a good young core. Getting Fernandez was just tremendous and franchise altering… but they are just still so unbelievably negligent with how they dealt with Stanton I don't know if any of it matters because as soon as they get good, he's going to be ripped from the team by trade or they just don't have another arbitration year left. So dumb. So, so dumb.
  5. Good point Lou about having to lose Stanton from the lineup. If we get in a groove and then suddenly lose him in a year or two, that's a potentially huge step backwards.
  6. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

The team is saying yet again that they aren't going to make him an offer until after the season. Getting tired of this.
  7. Entendu

Entendu sXe

They better get ready to pay full price.
  8. BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27 Hammerhead

The team is already being blamed. Stanton says he dosen't want to talk contracts until after the season.
  9. The team had an entire off season to make him an offer.
  10. MarlinsLou

Two off seasons
  11. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

This is the second year in a row of 'hey, we'll talk after the season' followed by complete silence. Then rinse and repeat.
  12. Entendu

Entendu sXe

He actually said that he didn't want to talk during the season. The season hasn't started yet
  13. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

I really think they've decided that it doesn't matter whether they keep him or not, since it's not like people are going to show up to games just because he's there. I'm sure the baseball people want him, but God knows that Loria thinks.
  14. Him staying won't bring people to the ballpark... but him staying longterm "should" increase our chances of being a consistently winning team, and THAT is what brings people to the ballpark. I hope Loria sees that.
  15. gizmo

gizmo RALLY, BITCH

The way Loria sees it is that people are gradually jumping off the Stanton train and instead hopping on the Fernandez Express.
    curveball likes this.
  16. MarlinsLou

Which is idiotic since he could have had both and still be bottom 5 in payroll for years and years.

I can't wait till they trade him and then he signs some shlubs like Buck, Bell, Dobbs, and C. Lee to longterm deals.
  17. With Loria's track record, I wouldn't rule out him literally signing Buck, Bell, Dobbs, and C. Lee again.
  18. FutureGM

FutureGM All Star

Which is great considering Lee hasn't been employed since the end of 2012.
  19. poptart

poptart Hungover

just read about the extension the Braves gave Simmons and couldn't help but think about MarlinsLou's posts in this thread
  20. fanfish

fanfish Grasshopper

Stanton is as good as gone after this season. He has said nothing in the past two years that makes me think wants to stay in Miami.
    I hope he has a banner season so that his value will peak, then he can be traded to a contending team with deep pockets for several of their top prospects. The thought of Stanton leaving the Marlins won't be so painful every time I see him swing and miss at a low and outside curve ball for the third strike.