Change background image

Stupidest things in current marlins lore

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by pollyvonwog, Dec 18, 2013.

1. I posted about one in another thread and figured it'd be a service to the community to post a list of the stupidest ideas bouncing around in fish village. You're all welcome.
    1) Stanton and protection. This is stupid.
    2) adeiny is a good shortstop. This is stupid.
    3) Jeff Mathis calls a great game. José would do just as well with me catching. This is stupid. He's also not very good at framing pitches.
    4) Ryan webb was good and should have been signed. This is stupid.
    5) Greg Dobbs is a professional. This is not stupid.

Anything else I missed?
  2. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Zack Cox, Brent Keys, and Derek Dietrich all have futures.
  3. Erick

Erick Marlin

Is this about the front office or the board?

For what it's worth, some of these things aren't "stupid." It's pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things because I don't think Ryan Webb is a big deal either, but the better move probably would've been to sign him anyway. Considering he actually got more money as a free agent than his projected arb. salary, they could have acquired a minor leaguer for him.

But to continue, platoons don't work because the Rays have never won a World Series. Or something like that.
  4. Remember that time we traded a 3.5 WAR 3B (escobar) for Dietrich? That wasn't very smart

Erick: I was referring more to the board but that sorta overlaps with the FO. I disagree about Webb obviously. Good riddance.

Edit : didn't read yr whole Webb post but now I agree w you
  5. Entendu

Entendu sXe

Wasn't the Marlins' team ERA much lower when Mathis was catching? Unless he caught better pitchers than the other catchers, I don't see how you could ignore that (provided that it's sustained, but until it's not we shouldn't call it stupid.)
  6. Erick

Erick Marlin

#5 is definitely the worst one.
  7. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

I think grouping Dietrich with Cox and Keys is pretty stupid. Not the worst thing done on this board but it could be up there.
  8. Giancarlo Stanton

Giancarlo Stanton Grasshopper

I'm tired of people saying that Giancarlo Stanton is not the sexiest man alive. He very clearly is.
  9. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Dietrich has the most potential of the three, yes, but he still shares something in common with the other two.
  10. Anonymous

Anonymous Sun

Wild Card?
    Giancarlo Stanton likes this.
  11. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

I think there was a legitimate difference in pitching performance between having Mathis and Brantly as a catcher. This might have more to do with Brantly than Mathis, however.
    Backin2008 likes this.
  12. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I think Zack Cox could fill the same roster spot as Greg Dobbs and produce the same numbers for 1/3 of the money.

I think Brent Keys will find a long major league career, at the very least as a 4th OFer.

Derek Dietrich will actually become a pretty decent everyday major leaguer.

Did I miss anything?
  13. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Logic and common sense.
  14. Dr Beinfest

Dr Beinfest Larry's Little Helper

But why do you care? Greg Dobbs isn't exactly an expensive player. Don't use Lorialogic to justify it.
  15. ...

... Sun

I suppose whether or not Mathis calls "great" games is debatable, but I rather doubt that José would have done just as well with you catching. He's said more than once that whatever Mathis put down was just fine with him, he just threw it. Rarely shook him off.

As for being good at "framing pitches," well, nobody is. Because umpires, most of them anyway, aren't totally stupid. Hutton yammers on and on about this and always seems to miss the fact that virtually never does an umpire care where the glove is, or should I say has been moved to after the fact. Umpires call pitches at the front edge of the plate, and even in the rare circumstance where one of the dumb ones seems to want to rely on the position of a catcher's glove for assistance, they almost never get the call.

"Framing" pitches -- most of which amounts to an attempt to deceive the ump, that is, an attempt to cheat -- is obvious to the ump and a waste of time.

I look forward to the day when balls and strikes are called electronically. I'm sick of watching incompetents call pitches, not to mention the rubbish about how this guy or that guy has a large or small strike zone on a particular day or generally.

That said, hopefully Mathis doesn't catch more than 50 games this year.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    pollyvonwog likes this.
  16. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

I want your list of Marlins prospects who will not be successful in the majors.
  17. Sorry guys a little drunk last night! Happy Festivus!
  18. fanofthefish

fanofthefish The Grinch's Biggest Fan

#3 the only way you catch a Fernandez fast ball is when its stops rolling....................:D
  19. mystikol87

mystikol87 Boom Shaka Laka VIP

I read differently. MLBTR's dude projected him at ~$1.7MM if I remember correctly, and his deal seemed to line up with what he would get over this year and the next. But feel free to demonstrate differently.
  20. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

We'll see who's right with some time. I personally feel you spend a little too much time contextualizing numbers instead watching the game. That's just me, I guess.