Change background image

Sunday Sports Buzz

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Rapp/Laettnerfanatic, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Rapp/Laettnerfanatic

Rapp/Laettnerfanatic Grasshopper

### The Marlins' decision to sign first baseman Garrett Jones and very likely trade Logan Morrison isn't about money, but their belief they needed a power bat and a concern internally that Morrison (.242, six homers in 85 games in 2013) will not return to being the player who hit .283 as a rookie in 2010 or 23 homers in 2011. As one Marlins person said this past season, after two knee surgeries, Morrison has an old body for a 26-year-old.

Before targeting Jones, the Marlins called about pricey Mike Napoli andCorey Hart (.270, 30 homers, 83 RBI), but Hart wasn't ready to move as quickly as the Marlins wanted.

### Boston, Milwaukee and Tampa are among the teams reportedly interested in Morrison. One executive with an AL team said Morrison remains an attractive commodity because he's a young left-handed hitter with upside. MLB.com identified Rays and former Miami Braddock High third basemanSean Rodriguez as a potential Marlins target if the Marlins and Tampa engage in Morrison trade talks.

### Garrett Jones should be effective against right-handers, based on his career metrics (.271 career hitter against them, with considerable power). But he's only a .193 career hitter vs. lefties. One option would be using outfielder Justin Ruggiano at first base against lefties. Ruggiano, a career .270 hitter vs. lefties, took ground balls at first base late last season.

### One Red Sox front office official said even though new Marlins catcherJarrod Saltalamacchia's .273 average for Boston in 2013 was a huge jump from .235 and .222 the two previous seasons, 'I don't think it was a fluke. He's still a big swing and miss guy, but he's not going to be a sub-.300 on base guy any more and he might have more success in the National League.

'He didn't get enough credit for the turnaround with our pitching staff last year. He's improved calling games. He's such a hard worker and so committed to getting better that you have to respect guys like that.'

Whereas the Marlins hit .193 with two outs and runners in scoring position last season, Saltalamacchia hit .283. Among qualifying catchers, he was seventh in average, ninth in RBI (65) and 10th in homers (14). A switch-hitter, he's better against right-handers (.294 last season) than left-handers (.218).

### The lighter side: The pastor at Morrison's wedding at a Cabo resort last month joked that it was beautiful that Morrison would invite a 'homeless person.' The 'homeless person' was actually outfielder Bryan Petersen, sporting a long, unwieldy beard. Peterson left the Marlins for the Rangers last week.

-Barry Jackson Miami Herald
  2. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

I think I would rather have Logan Morrison over Garrett Jones.
    EricWiener likes this.
  3. fanfish

fanfish Grasshopper

I have a feeling the the Marlins are still upset about LoMo's outspokenness. After being asked to restrain himself, he failed to stop bad mouthing the front office a few years ago and was sent to the minors for a couple of weeks for running his mouth a little too much. LoMo then took the Marlins to some sort of players union complaint board.
    I think there is still some degree of bad blood between them. Who knows how much of a problem it may be causing in the clubhouse if LoMo is speaking badly about the team to his teammates or others.
    And now that he is not playing as well as they hoped, they planned to get rid of him once the 2013 season was over. It showed by the Marlins making a play for Abreu, Napoli, and now Jones. It didn't surprise me.
    Eddie Altamonte likes this.
  4. Eddie Altamonte

Eddie Altamonte Hammerhead

"### One Red Sox front office official said even though new Marlins catcherJarrod Saltalamacchia's .273 average for Boston in 2013 was a huge jump from .235 and .222 the two previous seasons, 'I don't think it was a fluke. He's still a big swing and miss guy, but he's not going to be a sub-.300 on base guy any more and he might have more success in the National League."

Its funny how the Boston official states clearly what I was jumped on for commenting like I had no idea what I was talking about...He indicated 2013 was not an outlier/fluke that he should do better in the NL... I was just concern about players tend to regress to the mean statistically . I wish him and the Marlins FO to be right in this case...my position was simply will Marlins fan want him out of town on a rail if he hit .225 12 HRs and had 180 K and 35 RBIs
    I am hoping we never need to find out
  5. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

Those numbers would all be worse than his career average in those categories. So you would not be saying his 2013 was a fluke, you'd be saying he's on the steep decline. Big difference.

And if he puts together that line, we should be pissed. I sincerely doubt he will though.
  6. Eddie Altamonte

Eddie Altamonte Hammerhead

I Know it would be more like .245 and 17 HRs if it were his average without last season and only about 140 Ks
    I was just considering HRs should drop anyway due to how the ball travels in Marlins park a lot of HR's will be warning track outs
    BTW I am way over the top on Ks because Mathis should catch 40 or 50 games we should be looking at around 130 Ks
    for Salty
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  7. Vince0926

Vince0926 Hammerhead

Fan fish,
    Excellent comment as to why lomo will be dealt. And it kind of supports my statement on the win now philosophy that marlins have in my opinion. No distractions. In 2012, we had that p.o.s. manager, lomo, and that stupid show for example. This year I want no issues.
  8. I thought there new philosophy was no OBP
  9. Erick

Erick Marlin

Is the Garrett Jones signing official?
  10. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

If they replace LoMo with Jones and add Juan Francisco you're absolutely right.
  11. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

No, we haven't had anything confirmed and we don't even know the exact terms (though they have been said to be 2/7-8)
  12. Erick

Erick Marlin

Huh?
  13. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

If they Marlins replace LoMo with Jones and add Juan Francisco, their new philosophy must have something against On Base Percentage.

How did I lose you there?