Change background image

Third Base

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Backin2008, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

Are you guys comfortable with the guys we currently have on the roster that can play 3B? I think it's a huge black hole. Dietrich, Dobbs, Lucas and Solano don't get me excited one bit. I think the Marlins should keep the pitching staff together for 2014. The free agents still out there are Reynolds, McGehee, Youkiilis, M.Young, Chavez and Betancourt. Don't think I would give them anything more than a 1-year deal. Will Middlebrooks, Dayan Viciedo or Chase Headley all make sense, but none of them would come too cheaply and I don't think the Marlins should trade any pitching right now. Sean Rodriguez, Cole Gillaspie, Jeff Keppinger, Mike Olt, Rickie Weeks and Jordan Pacheco could be other trade targets. What do you guys think?
  2. Erick

Erick Marlin

They should just let Dietrich play at this point.
    MrMarlinPride likes this.
  3. MrMarlinPride

MrMarlinPride Unsung Hero

Agreed, just give the kid the AB's instead of wasting money on someone who's old and is going to be bad anyway.
  4. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Just sign Chavez and Baker and call it a day. Jeez, FO.
  5. Jokersgoon

Jokersgoon Squall's Bench Coach

the return of John Baker.. I dig it !
  6. Both Chavez and McGehee could probably be had on one year deals in order to rebuild value. And it might be hard for them to turn down an offer where they'd almost be certain to start.
  7. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

This Baker I speak of does have the first initial J, but it's not John.
  8. Backin2008

Backin2008 Backin2008

Jeff Baker has been a guy I have been getting on my soapbox about. He would be a great platoon mate at either 1B or 3B for the Fish. He destroys lefty pitching.
  9. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

They should at least sign Scott Sizemore to minor-league deal. If he's healthy he could hit LHP in platoon with Dietrich. I'm going to just obsess over him like I did with Ryan Hanigan at catcher.

He's still only 28 and put up decent numbers in 2011 before ACL surgeries .245/.342/.399/.741, and even better vs lefties.
  10. Larry

Larry The Head Fish .

I agree with the Jeff Baker idea
    Entendu likes this.
  11. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

I am really not high on the idea of dealing a top prospect arm for a young 3b with Moran possibly only a year away. I guess you'd do it hoping he could move to 1b eventually, they'd just better have a plan if they do this.

Have some freaking foresight for once.
  12. Entendu

Entendu sXe

I think that's plan. They don't want to trade for a stopgap, and they want someone versatile enough to fill a need afterwards.
  13. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

It reminds me of the time when the Marlins traded away a young 3B for a sack of s*** and had no other 3B in the system.
    Eddie Altamonte likes this.
  14. Rydawg

Rydawg Hammerhead

I would try to acquire Olt if the price is right. The only reason I would try to acquire a young controllable player is because we don't have any options in the minors at the corners other than Moran. If Moran comes up next year or at the end of this season, then you could move Olt or whomever we acquire to 1st base. Jones contract is only for two seasons and I doubt he will last that long.
  15. YearOneMarlinFan

YearOneMarlinFan Grasshopper

I said this at the end of the Furcal thread, but since no one responded I'll say it again here. If we want Dietrich to concentrate on improving his hitting, why on earth would anyone want to force the guy to learn a new position at the same time? ML pitching isn't enough stress by itself? He should be starting at 2b this season.
  16. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

They do fielding and hitting drills all the time as it is, so learning a new position wouldn't put too much stress on him, if they go that route.
  17. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

As much as I seem to disagree, apparently they don't want him starting anywhere.
    I would only be interested in Olt if he can be had really cheap. I would rather have Christian Villanueva if we're making a deal with the Cubs.
  18. Mickey Mantis

Mickey Mantis Grasshopper

I've always been intrigued by Michael Young but for some reason I get this feeling that he just does not like the Marlins as an organization.
  19. Mickey Mantis

Mickey Mantis Grasshopper

Also, what do you guys think it would take to acquire someone like Middlebrooks?
  20. Piazza31

Piazza31 Pr*ck