Change background image

Third Base

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Backin2008, Dec 14, 2013.

1. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Never said that you thought Trumbo was better than Hanley. However, you did say that Trumbo can fill the same hole, which suggests that you feel that they are equivalent.
  2. Nny

Nny JohNNY

Hanley in 2011 was bad and injured.

Hanley in 2012 had power again, showed basically the same offensive skill set as his earlier career with the exception that he was sporting the lowest BABIP of his career.

All signs were there that he would come back fine.

We traded him at low value but that shouldn't come as a surprise. It was dumb to trade him when we did and it was rather dumb to trade him at all.
    MrMarlinPride likes this.
  3. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

I didn't intend to say Hanley and Trumbo were equals. I didn't even think I insinuated that. I just said the return we got for Hanley wasn't s*** as suggested.
  4. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

It was a s*** return.
  5. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

6. YearOneMarlinFan

YearOneMarlinFan Grasshopper

I don't remember a lot of folks saying that at the time - some, perhaps, but I don't think it was the prevailing opinion.
  7. Nny

Nny JohNNY

That's because a lot of people don't like Hanley.

He had a .51 BB/K (.57 in his career), .181 ISO (.204 in his career, and just moved into a lot worse hitting stadium), and a .271 BABIP (.334 in his career). Normalize his BABIP and you're looking at a very different line from him.

Now, nobody saw this explosion coming from him. I'm definitely not saying that we should have expected him to go monster mode, his season last year was just crazy. But him being a .850+ OPS bat again was so incredibly far from being far-fetched that it more or less should have been expected to be.

I didn't like it because signs pointed that his line would improve and we were selling low. I also didn't like it because "bad" Hanley is still a 3 WAR player. It was just dumb all around.
  8. YearOneMarlinFan

Unfortunately it was beginning to look like Hanley was injury-prone, plus he wasn't living up to the "team leader" responsibility the FO ridiculously laid on him. A lot of the reasons for his being traded were not in the statistics, just as you suggested.
  9. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Easy to say now. At the time, I don't think everyone was up in arms. I'll be happy to dig it up. And if Eovaldi turns out to be the #2 arm everyone thinks he'll be, it really wasn't.

And Penguino: All I meant was Trumbo could fill the whole, not that they were equals.
  10. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

Who thinks eovaldi is a number 2 arm? He still has a lot to prove.

Even still, Hanley > a #2 arm. Dumping Hanley was a mistake, and I wasn't happy about it then, and I'm still not happy about it.
  11. Nny

Nny JohNNY

Except Eovaldi is a #4, #3 maybe. Certainly not a #2. He's basically the definition of an average SP. No, he's not "s***", but he was a s*** return because we sold low.

And no, a lot of people weren't up in arms because a lot of people don't like Hanley as I said before. For things like "lack of leadership" that YearOne brought up among other dumb things. I'm happy for Hanley as a human being to not be on this team anymore because ownership, the team, the fanbase, basically everyone treated him like s***.
  12. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

I felt like well... let's wait & see if they do anything with the "Hanley money" saved.

how's that coming along so far? Stanton? anyone?
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  13. dim

dim President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

14. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

it absolutely was. and the main reason a lot of people weren't ripping the return was that that was basically all you were going to get for Hanley when you deal him at that low point AND don't throw in any of his salary. it's selling low, which is what we do.
  15. dim

dim President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

A lot of the people who defended the Hanley trade did so on the assumption that the money saved from Hanley's contract would be spent on improving the team. It was pocketed by Loria.

That should infuriate everybody here.

EDIT: To be fair, the team just spent money on a guy like Salty for a few years, but at the time of the deal nobody saw the Blue Jays trade coming and we thought the "willing to spend" Loria was a for real thing.

EDIT2: I also read through the Hanley thread again, and I came across this post I made in the thread.

Oh god why
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  16. YearOneMarlinFan

I skimmed it, and I do know there were plenty of folks who didn't like the deal. Still, there were many who wanted Hanley gone for a variety of reasons, including some of those who objected to the Dodgers deal. Personally, I doubt he would have flourished if he had stayed on this team so I too think it was good to move him. But I agree that we should have gotten a much better return.
  17. YearOneMarlinFan

:D Got a kick out of EDIT2! Thanks for sharing your old post.
  18. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

If you say that Trumbo fills Hanley's hole, doesn't that mean that Trumbo is matching Hanley's production?
  19. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

Its clear now that the Hanley trade happens even with him playing well.

I hate my team. s*** ownership. s*** FO.
  20. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Dude stop picking fights. No, that's not what that means. For instance, Rafael Furcal was signed to fill the hole at second base. Doesn't mean he'll be any better, it just means that's what he is here to do.