Change background image

Third Base

Discussion in 'Miami Marlins' started by Backin2008, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Erick

Erick Marlin

And now filling the hole...Caseyyyyyyyyy Mcgeheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Woooo.
  2. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Casey McGehee = Mark Trumbo = Hanley Ramirez
    Cause he fills the hole.
  3. squall

squall 8==========D VIP

I'm trying so hard not to make a bunch of s***ty jokes about filling holes.
  4. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Too bad we don't really need old, retired pitchers, cause Dick Pole would fill that perfectly.
  5. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

You don't make any sense. When a good player leaves a "hole," in order for a replacement to "fill" the hole, he needs to match the predecessor's production. That's what "filling in" something means.

It sounds like you realized it was dumb to claim that Trumbo has the same value of Hanley (even a bad Hanley) and now you are trying to backtrack from it.
  6. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

Hechavarria also fills in the "hole" left by Jose Reyes.
  7. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Teal Avenger .

I was expecting to see a few of them already.

I am dissapoint.
  8. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Or I never said that, am still saying the opposite, and you continue to pick fights for no apparent reason. Somebody "filling a hole" could be taken any number of ways.
  9. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Many of which squall wants to mention.
    mystikol87 likes this.
  10. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

But in a baseball sense it only means one thing, which Wild Card doesn't seem able to grasp.
  11. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Sorry, is there a Websters "Baseball-Sense" Dictionary that you're referencing? Because as far as I am concerned, it can be taken in several different contexts. Unless you can show me somewhere that, for a fact, "Filling a hole" means equal production.
  12. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

It's more about logic and common sense. Technically speaking (according to your logic), couldn't Ed Lucas be filling the "hole" left by Hanley? Why would the Marlins even need Trumbo if Lucas or your boy Zack Cox could do it? I mean, equal production doesn't matter, right?
  13. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

You could absolutely say Ed Lucas is filling the hole left by Hanley Ramirez. If he's the one playing third base, than he is absolutely the one filling the hole. Nobody is saying he's Hanley, but the position was empty, and yes, he filled the hole.

Have you ever read, or written, an article, for instance? Go read Joe Frisaro's writing, and I guarantee he will say something similar about signing Rafael Furcal OR Casey McGehee (just for example). I guarantee there's some kind of reference similar to this that says they "filled the hole" at second/third, or something close to that. It's just an expression, it's absolutely not meant to be taken so literal. You're just always reaching to pick some kind of a fight.
  14. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

So filling a hole, according to you, means simply getting another able body who plays that same position regardless of productivity? Gotcha. That's such an insightful way of analyzing the efficacy of transactions.
  15. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

That's my point, it shouldn't have been a comment that was analyzed at all. All I said was Trumbo can fill a hole, and you think I said he is Brooks Robinson.
  16. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

You must have missed the sarcasm.
  17. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

Sure I did.

Hey, why don't you go talk to Garrett Jones about padding his stats or something?
  18. el penguino

el penguino Marlin

He's too busy sulking over the realization that Jeffery Loria duped him into thinking that he'd be in the lineup everyday.
  19. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Joe Frisaro is probably the worst (official) Marlins writer currently. Don't read his writing.

I'm also biased cause he's a douche.
  20. You guys are wayyy too hard on wild card here. I don't always agree with his posts but I completely understand what he meant. He never once said Trumbo was greater than Hanley.