Change background image

Trae Turner or Jacob Gatewood?

Discussion in 'Minor League Baseball' started by Eddie Altamonte, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Eddie Altamonte

Eddie Altamonte Hammerhead

http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2013/10/top-14-for-14-college-hitters/#more-3142

1. Derek Fisher / OF / Virginia — Fischer is going to have to hit — he doesn’t have the arm strength or instincts to be anything but a left fielder — to earn this ranking, but he certainly has the offensive tools to justify it. The left-handed hitting outfielder has above-average bat speed and a linear swing that should lead to above-average power numbers, though we haven’t seen that translate into games as much as one would hope. Consistency has been a problem for Fischer, but with a strong junior season you could see him go very early, as he’s one of the few middle of the order type bats in this class.

2. Trea Turner / SS / NC State — Turner was outstanding over his sophomore campaign, but an ankle injury essentially ruined his Team USA experience this summer. Turner’s speed is élite, and with above-average pitch recognition and hand-eye coordination, many scouts believe he is a future prototypical leadoff hitter. Defensively he was outstanding in 2013 as well, using his speed to make plays to his left and right with above-average arm strength for the position. Don’t be surprised to see Turner go off the board in the first five picks of the 2014 draft.
    3. Max Pentecost / C / Kennesaw State — Pentecost may not be a household name right now, but has drastically improved his draft stock with a very strong summer. Pentecost has average power from the right side (with potential for more) and shows good patience and pitch recognition. He isn’t a lock to stick behind the plate, but if a team believes he can catch due to his athleticism and arm strength he could be a top 15 candidate.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  2. Eddie Altamonte

This is from an article in June just after the draft...Much has changed and much more will change by next June's Draft

1. DP: Jacob Gatewood, SS, Clovis (Calif.) High

"Perkin likens Gatewood (6-foot-5, 190 pounds) to a young Troy Tulowitzki and calls him a "once-in-a-decade talent," noting his fastball reaches 92 mph on the mound, his "ballet-like fielding skills" and his prodigious power."

http://www.scout.com/2/1305636.html

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130610/draft-prospects-carlos-rodon/#ixzz2iAoaOS00

Pretty Swing, kind of reminds me of Hanley Ramirez
  3. Eddie Altamonte

more Turner/Gatewood...

http://fansided.com/2013/10/16/pitching-talent-abounds-top-2014-mlb-draft/

Miami has a crop of pitching talent in both the minors and at the big league level with the likes of ace Jose Fernandez, Jacob Turner and Nathan Eovaldi. For this reason, I believe Miami will look to add an impact bat in the draft, choosing between either shortstop Trea Turner of North Carolina State, who according to Baseball America, “offers bat speed, athleticism and top-of-the-scale speed when healthy” or third baseman Jacob Gatewood of Clovis HS in California. Baseball America says that Gatewood has “a plus arm and arguably the best power potential in the class.”

Most websites actually show the Marlins selecting Tyler Kolek a RHP from Texas in the mold of Roger Clemens/ Josh Beckett that dials it up to 99 mph
  4. I think marlins go after pitching too as the painful truth is that they really think adeiny is a future all star
  5. Erick

Erick Marlin

We do not need a SS guys, sorry. #teamadeiny
  6. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

MiLB and the AFL have Colin Moran listed as a shortstop. Draft Gatewood and make this happen!
  7. Entendu

Entendu sXe

8. Eddie Altamonte

On a different note I would like to see The Marlins draft a top catching prospect fairly early in the Draft, it is looking more and more that the top catching prospect in the Draft is Alex Jackson - Rancho Bernardo HS (CA) after that a few names pop up in no uncertain order like Jackson Reetz from Norris HS (Ne) and Max Pentecoste Kennessaw State. I don't believe the Marlins would use the 2nd overall pick on Jackson. Someone that maybe available later in the draft but who's stock is greatly increasing is avery interesting name to all us Marlins fans because of his dad having been the catcher for the Marlins in it's inaugural season.
    Benito Santiago of Coral Springs Christian Academy is impressing scouts all over the country

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=8643
    https://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=297379

He is atheletic...,good to great in reference to his defensive skills behind the plate, can steal bases
    extremely strong arm can throw from his knees with accuracy and strength
    great bat speed and power
  9. Eddie Altamonte

http://throughthefencebaseball.com/2014-mlb-mock-draft-2-0-draft-order-set/38280

TTF has a very interesting Mock in which the Marlins select Turner with the 2nd overall pick
    and Jackson Reetz C Norris HS (NE) Who may well be the 2nd best catching prospect in the draft
    If The Marlins did that I would be in fan heaven but it would be so Un-Marlin like for that to happen
    A SS and a C with the 1st 2 pick!!!...No Pitcher????

I feel its what the organization needs... but will it be what it does?
    In the history of The Marlins they have gone without selecting a pitcher with one of it's first 2 picks only
    on 5 occasions and since 2000 only twice (2007 & 2002)
    In 2007 The Marlins selected Matt Dominguez and Giancarlo Stanton
    2002 The Marlins selected Jeremy Hermida and Robert Andino
  10. Wild Card

Wild Card Batting Third

11. Eddie Altamonte

12. Eddie Altamonte

They show one columnist showing the Marlins selecting Alex Jackson who has 40 HR type of power but it is not certain he will stay as a Catcher in Pro ball he may become a right fielder
    BTW Jackson has a rifle for an arm
    The other columnist has The Marlins selecting Hoffman good prospect but certainly not the 2nd best pitching prospect in the draft
  13. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

If Piazza could stay behind the plate for as long as he did, then I think this guy could, as well.
    40 homer type power, if that's legit, draft his ass.
  14. Eddie Altamonte

It's not that Jackson would be a bad defensive catcher its that his with type of hitting ability most team would rather not have him cope with the rigors of having to catch everyday
  15. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

Yeah, I get that - but, tell him to not block the plate. Braves did it with McCann. Not the best example, I know, but he wasn't exactly overly injury-prone.
    If we draft him, he may as well stay behind the plate, especially with our outfield depth right now.
    And who knows? We draft him, by the time he's up in the bigs, maybe the NL has the DH so his bat stays and his health remains.
  16. Eddie Altamonte

BTW Gatewood is described to have even more power than Jackson, however Jackson is a more polished hitter
    in other words Gatewood will hit em farther but at this moment Jackson would hit them more often
  17. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

But he's not a catcher. :p
    We'll see what happens!
  18. 97marlin

97marlin Grasshopper

Why not instead of deciding now we wait to see how the NCAA season turns out. I don't think Kris Bryant was as highly thought of until he led NCAA in home runs. So why don't we wait and see if another guy like that comes around this season.
  19. BenderRobot

BenderRobot Hello! VIP

It's why rankings change come June. We'll have to wait and see. Not like we're drafting NOW.
  20. dim

dim President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

I have a good feeling that even when June comes along, the Marlins will be making the decision between Trea Turner and Jacob Gatewood. Gatewood being the high school power hitting shortstop who is getting comparison's to Troy Tulowitzki, or Trea Turner, the polished NC State star who steals bases like few people possibly can and who many scouts say has deceiving power and is a great defensive SS. Basically, it'll be a choice between what may be the safe choice in Turner (who will also be only a year or two away from being major league ready) or going for the mass potential that comes with a guy like Gatewood who simply looks like Byron Buxton based on his frame alone.

Even with the draft half a year away, I'm going to say the Marlins will select Gatewood. I'm a little upset we won't get a shot to draft Rodon, but I'm happy we'll have the choice of any hitter in the draft (albeit we got that pick by sucking tremendously last season).