Questions

OldSand

Honestly, what I've been trying to get at is why countries like Cuba or Venezuela are considered enemies of the US. Because they sure as hell are not a military threat.

Why should they allow American corporations to exploit their workers and resources while reaping all the profits? If they choose a different path, who are we to impose things upon them? Personally I do not think it is fair. Not taking into account Castro's dictatorship here...I don't believe in restricting freedoms, but how much better off wil Cuba be as a capitalist economy? Not much...fact of the matter is Cuba is a small island with limited resources...capitalism on the island wouldn't benefit its people all that much, it would only benefit foreign investors.

Syria's switch to the Euro is only surprising in that it did not happen sooner (we froze their US assets in 2004). Iran switches next month. By switching to the Euro, foreign countries make themselves less vulnerable of being influenced by our policies. This is becoming more and more common. I expect this conversion to accelerate in Asia, the Middle East, and South America. This is shaping up to be Bush's legacy. And Greenspan has made sure that we are exceedingly vulnerable.

Syria Decides to Replace US Dollar By Euro for Trade Deals

By Middle East and North Africa Business Report, Amman, Jordan

Feb. 14--Syria has decided to replace the US dollar by the Euro for its deals to cover its overdue exportation, importation and services payments. According to Kuna, the country's Prime Minister, Mohammed Naji Al-Otri issued a notification in this regard to avoid any obstacles the banks overseas might practice within the framework of imposing sanctions on Syria.

Director General of the Commercial Bank of Syria, Dureid Dargham, said in a press release that this move was very important as there are threats from the USA against Syria which would result in complicating the banking procedures and the transfer operations into the country from corresponding banks in Europe.

He added that the notification of the premier comes as a precautionary measure.

Sources claim that this latest Syrian decision was considered an attempt to safeguard the national economy, especially when the American laws stipulate that any financial transactions in the US$ have to pass through the US banking system.

Red Orbit