Game thoughts

Minnesota Twins > Florida Marlins

Simple as that.

True. Despite the fact that in all reality Minnesota and Johan in particular are a better team, it was simply a frustrating game to watch. Giving up two home runs to Mauer, a triple of Johan and a few defensive miscues are just painful to watch no matter who we're playing.

A few things about today's game were frustrating to me.

1) At least from my view (from Section 101), it seemed like Aaron Boone's throwing error in the 4th hit off of Nick Punto's hand (which was raised up in the air) and into the outfield. I was furious, that should have been a routine out, and it didn't look to me like it was even Boone's fault.

2) I think Fredi kept Kim in there too long. He had been struggling after 5 innings, having given up 5 runs and thrown 100 pitches already. Why leave him in instead of bringing in someone from the bullpen? Well Kim went out there and gave up another homer to Mauer (who had his 2nd and 3rd of the year today, not exactly a power hitter) and the game went from a managable 5-2 to a much harder to overcome 7-2 deficit

3) Does anybody know the attendance? It was pathetic how empty the stadium was. If people don't come to see the best pitcher in Major League Baseball, on a team that has never played down here before this weekend, when will they come out?

1) At least from my view (from Section 101), it seemed like Aaron Boone's throwing error in the 4th hit off of Nick Punto's hand (which was raised up in the air) and into the outfield. I was furious, that should have been a routine out, and it didn't look to me like it was even Boone's fault.

2) I think Fredi kept Kim in there too long. He had been struggling after 5 innings, having given up 5 runs and thrown 100 pitches already. Why leave him in instead of bringing in someone from the bullpen? Well Kim went out there and gave up another homer to Mauer (who had his 2nd and 3rd of the year today, not exactly a power hitter) and the game went from a managable 5-2 to a much harder to overcome 7-2 deficit

3) Does anybody know the attendance? It was pathetic how empty the stadium was. If people don't come to see the best pitcher in Major League Baseball, on a team that has never played down here before this weekend, when will they come out?

1.) I think Boone hit him in the helmet area. That's an error I don't agree with either. But Olivo has had the same type error called on him at least twice this year. Throwing to 2nd on a steal, places the ball exactly where it needs to be, and it hits the runner and goes out into the OF. Unfortunetly, it's called an error on the throw.

2.) I kept looking up at the pitch count after 5 and then looking down at the pen. No one warming up. To BKs defense tho, he wasn't pitching all that bad. I believe he had 2 outs in the 6th when he gave up that dinger. Mauer isn't exactly known for his power. I think Fredi was going with the odds and they failed him this time. Fecal matter occurs from time to time. Turns out the final score says it wasn't a game decision. But who knows.

I was watching Kim during pre game warm ups in the pen. Looks like the South Florida heat and humidity bothers him to some degree. Every few pitches he was stopping and toweling off. He does mix his pitches and speed up very well but I get this feeling he may just be a 5 inning pitcher as a starter for us. Wouldn't mind seeing him in middle relief when we can afford that luxury.

3.) Friday: 15,271, Saturday: 21,368, Sunday: 15,035. Average for a home coming weekend series vs a team that has never been here before with some very fine players on it at a time when we are definetly in the mix to make a move for the NL East, AND when Friday night's game wasn't even televised: 17,225.

Pathetic. Humiliating. Sickening. But I never had any problems leaving the parking lot and driving right onto the turnpike for the long drive home. Keep up the good work South Florida. We are really showing those "hicks" to our north why we deserve that tax break on a new stadium.

A very poorly managed game by Gonzalez.

We had Santana on the ropes in the 4th and he should have pinch hit for Kim and went for the knockout punch. Plenty of arms in the pen with an off day tommorow.

And lets not even talk about not IBB'ing Mauer.

A very poorly managed game by Gonzalez.

We had Santana on the ropes in the 4th and he should have pinch hit for Kim and went for the knockout punch. Plenty of arms in the pen with an off day tommorow.

And lets not even talk about not IBB'ing Mauer.

I agree with you. Even though it was only the 4th, Kim had already thrown 89 pitches at that point, and at a critical point in the game with runners on base, we could have used a run or two to bridge the 5-2 deficit that was there.

1. You're right. Boone threw the ball over Punto's right shoulder and Punto made a heads-up play by raising his arms in a deliberate attempt to deflect the ball. And it worked. It hit off his right arm. Not a bad throw by Boone there.

2. Agree

3. It was 165 degrees out there

-It looked like the ball hit his arm that went in the air originally but after watching a couple more times it looks like it got his shoulder.

-We dont necessarily have an endless supply of bullpen arms after our starter went 3 innings the day before. We needed 4 innings from our starter yesterday even with today off.

- It was ridiculously hot indeed. After sitting through Saturday nights game I wasnt sure I could watch a Santana-Kim matchup in that heat

I really dont think the black jerseys matter. The players chose to wear them, probably because they realize theyre not feeling any hotter in black than they are in white. Its insanely hot no matter what, I know I cant tell the difference on a hot day when Im wearing white or black and playing.

- It was ridiculously hot indeed. After sitting through Saturday nights game I wasnt sure I could watch a Santana-Kim matchup in that heat

Marlins on t.v > Sunday home day. Marlins losing + heat = moody me. I could never sit in that heat for 3 hours. I give those people tons of credit.

Marlins on t.v > Sunday home day. Marlins losing + heat = moody me. I could never sit in that heat for 3 hours. I give those people tons of credit.

*In best Dr. Evil voice: "We shall call her: Moody-Me"

-It looked like the ball hit his arm that went in the air originally but after watching a couple more times it looks like it got his shoulder.

-We dont necessarily have an endless supply of bullpen arms after our starter went 3 innings the day before. We needed 4 innings from our starter yesterday even with today off.

I really dont think the black jerseys matter. The players chose to wear them, probably because they realize theyre not feeling any hotter in black than they are in white. Its insanely hot no matter what, I know I cant tell the difference on a hot day when Im wearing white or black and playing.

-From where I was sitting it looked like that ball hit around his helmet. I don't get the "benefit" of watching all the replays, but it sounds like my original view was correct.

-Every Sunday we sit in our "adopted section" and look for who are the "idiots" sitting in our seats out there. I gotta hand it to you people that go to day games and cheer in that heat and humidity. Seriously.

-The black jersey thing. I've always scratched my head on that. But listening to 560 on the way home from Sunday's game the dj was saying something about those day game black jersey's are some kind of new material that are actually cooler. I have no idea what they were talking about.