Official 2007-2008 NBA Trading Deadline Discussion

futuremarlinsgm

It seems to me the most important part of the deal is Marion opting out, but can he really get more than 17 million a year?

I seriously doubt he'd leave 17mil on the table. Even if he were not to opt out, the Heat would still win out by getting out from under Shaq's deal a year early. At least it makes for interesting discussion.....but I just can't believe anything Barry Jackson writes. I'm going to wait for other sources.

It seems to me the most important part of the deal is Marion opting out, but can he really get more than 17 million a year?

He is a free agent after the season anyways right?

I am going by this part of the article you put up:

After this season, Marion can opt out of the last year of his contract worth $17.1 million. If Marion opts out, trading O'Neal would give the Heat substantial salary cap space this offseason, when potential free agents include Gilbert Arenas, Baron Davis, Elton Brand, Antawn Jamison, Ron Artest and Corey Maggette.

Gasol traded to the Lakers for Kwame Brown, Crittenton, and 1st rounders in 2008 and 2010.

http://commercialappeal.com/news/2008/feb/...-traded-lakers/

f***in ripoff bulls***!!! What the hell is wrong with the damn Grizzlies? They got anally raped three times over. OMG thats one of the worst trades of all time. The Magic would have given them a better package.

I doubt that. What combo of expiring contracts, draft picks, and a young player could the Magic have possibly put together??

Um, Redick, Garrity, Arroyo, and Keith Bogans and two first round picks. If not better, just as good. The Bulls would have given them Nocioni or Gordon at the least. They basically gave away Gasol for expiring contracts. Crittenton is worthless. Heck, even the Heat could have given them a decent package. There must be like 10 NBA GMs banging their heads against the wall. Has to be one of the worst trades of all time.

I dont think the trade is nearly as awful as youre suggesting. Crittenton alone is better than that Orlando package you mentioned, and getting 2 first rounders plus an expiring 9 million dollar contract is alright

Those draft picks are worthless because the Lakers are well outside of the lottery. Crittenton average 3.3 ppg. How is he even remotely worth anything? Redick averages more points and Bogans at least gives you a defender who can shoot 3s and 10 ppg. Im not saying the Magic package is good. But the Lakers package is pretty much worthless except for cap space, which plenty of teams would have given them.

Am I in the twighlight zone here? There are actually people defending this trade?

Umm...Crittenton is a rookie playing on a contending team, playing a position with 2 more established players in front of him. Just because he isn't playing much doesn't mean he isn't a good prospect. Also, the draft picks aren't worthless. All first rounders have value and are tradeable commodities. Plus they get cap relief. I'm not saying this is a great trade for Memphis, just that it isn't as bad as you guys are making it out to be.

I think too many people have the baseball mentality when looking at NBA players. That's why Heat fans have overrated Dorrell Wright for years. Prospects in the NBA are worthless.

Your statement of "just because he isn't playing much doesn't mean he isn't a good prospect" can be said about 50 other players in the league. A true valuable prospect in the NBA is a young player who has actually shown some production but is stuck. See Travis Outlaw in Portland. Look, they already have two PGs who are their future in Conley and Lowery. They didn't take Crittenton because he is a legit PG prospect.

And what you also don't understand is that outide of the top 10 picks, the NBA draft is a massive crapshoot. The odds of landing an impact player that is 60% of what Gasol gives you are like 1 in 70 and thats only good if you are picking from 10-20. The Lakers are going to be good enough to be in the 20-30 range, which is basically useless.

Worthless?

Ok, how do you explain, Jermane Oneal rotting in the blazers bench before being traded to indiana and shining. Tracy McGrady, Anyone else care to name a few others? HOW ARE PROSPECTS WORTHLESS IN THE NBA????? :banghead

Marion won't opt out, but I am sure we are going to dump Shaq before the trade deadline expires, Pat the Rat is going to have a busy offseason and he'll need all the cap space he can get. I predict Shaq will be traded to the Dallas Mavericks, if not to them to some other desperate contender who plan on taking it all.

The Shaquille O'Neal trade to the Phoenix Suns is not a rumor.

In fact, I expect it to happen sometime early afternoon on Wednesday.

O'Neal will be in Phoenix on Wednesday for a physical, according to a Suns team source.

The Suns have moved Wednesday morning's shoot-around, which was originally scheduled at 9:45 a.m., to 4:45 p.m. - hours prior to their contest against the New Orleans Hornets.

The Suns will part ways with Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks and move to a conventional style with O'Neal playing the 5.

The Suns have major concerns about chemistry issues on the team and feel a trade for O'Neal would alleviate those issues, plus give them the post defender they lack.

The money would be a wash this year and next, but the Suns would be on the hook for $20 million in 2009-10 - the final year of O'Neals' contract. There is a belief that the window for Steve Nash to win a championship is down to this year and next and that O'Neal would give the Suns a better chance to win now.

My sources tell me that O'Neal desperately wants to come to Phoenix and will be rejuvenated to have a chance to win again and that the Suns do not have any concerns over his injured hip.

The Suns will not expect O'Neal to dominate as he did in his prime, in fact his minutes will probably hover around 25 per game as they try to keep him fresh for the playoffs and a potential matchup against Tim Duncan and the Spurs.

Just what this means for Mike D'Antoni is anyone's guess.

It is clear that a trade for O'Neal would be a negative indictment on the Suns current style and would suggest that management does not believe the current run-and-gun style can win a title.

Sports 620 KTAR's Craig Grialou contributed to this report

http://www.ktar.com/sports/?nid=126&sid=724522

Rumor also has it that if we make this deal, that would mean we may have passed on a deal with the Mavs involving Josh Howard.

I figured this was a rumor all along, but looks like it's going down. We rented the guy out for 3 and 1/2 years, got a title, and sent him on his way. I don't want to see it happen, but it's going to free up some big time money.

Wow, same here. I didn't even really think much about it, figuring it was just a stupid rumor making the rounds that would quickly die, but I guess this might really be happening, eh?

Crazy.

I figured this was a rumor all along, but looks like it's going down. We rented the guy out for 3 and 1/2 years, got a title, and sent him on his way. I don't want to see it happen, but it's going to free up some big time money.

I thought the same thing. I haven't even been following this rumor because I figured it'd end up Corey Maggette'D.

This could turn ugly. Imagine if Shaq passes his physical with flying colors and plays right away. I would not be surprised at all if this "injury" he has had all year has been a huge lie. I love Shaq but for the future of this franchise, this is a franchise saver.

Nicely done Riles. You crafty old dog.

Gasol traded to the Lakers for Kwame Brown, Crittenton, and 1st rounders in 2008 and 2010.

http://commercialappeal.com/news/2008/feb/...-traded-lakers/

f***in ripoff bulls***!!! What the hell is wrong with the damn Grizzlies? They got anally raped three times over. OMG thats one of the worst trades of all time. The Magic would have given them a better package.

I doubt that. What combo of expiring contracts, draft picks, and a young player could the Magic have possibly put together??

Um, Redick, Garrity, Arroyo, and Keith Bogans and two first round picks. If not better, just as good. The Bulls would have given them Nocioni or Gordon at the least. They basically gave away Gasol for expiring contracts. Crittenton is worthless. Heck, even the Heat could have given them a decent package. There must be like 10 NBA GMs banging their heads against the wall. Has to be one of the worst trades of all time.

I dont think the trade is nearly as awful as youre suggesting. Crittenton alone is better than that Orlando package you mentioned, and getting 2 first rounders plus an expiring 9 million dollar contract is alright

Those draft picks are worthless because the Lakers are well outside of the lottery. Crittenton average 3.3 ppg. How is he even remotely worth anything? Redick averages more points and Bogans at least gives you a defender who can shoot 3s and 10 ppg. Im not saying the Magic package is good. But the Lakers package is pretty much worthless except for cap space, which plenty of teams would have given them.

Am I in the twighlight zone here? There are actually people defending this trade?

Umm...Crittenton is a rookie playing on a contending team, playing a position with 2 more established players in front of him. Just because he isn't playing much doesn't mean he isn't a good prospect. Also, the draft picks aren't worthless. All first rounders have value and are tradeable commodities. Plus they get cap relief. I'm not saying this is a great trade for Memphis, just that it isn't as bad as you guys are making it out to be.

I think too many people have the baseball mentality when looking at NBA players. That's why Heat fans have overrated Dorrell Wright for years. Prospects in the NBA are worthless.

Your statement of "just because he isn't playing much doesn't mean he isn't a good prospect" can be said about 50 other players in the league. A true valuable prospect in the NBA is a young player who has actually shown some production but is stuck. See Travis Outlaw in Portland. Look, they already have two PGs who are their future in Conley and Lowery. They didn't take Crittenton because he is a legit PG prospect.

And what you also don't understand is that outide of the top 10 picks, the NBA draft is a massive crapshoot. The odds of landing an impact player that is 60% of what Gasol gives you are like 1 in 70 and thats only good if you are picking from 10-20. The Lakers are going to be good enough to be in the 20-30 range, which is basically useless.

Worthless?

Ok, how do you explain, Jermane Oneal rotting in the blazers bench before being traded to indiana and shining. Tracy McGrady, Anyone else care to name a few others? HOW ARE PROSPECTS WORTHLESS IN THE NBA????? :banghead

It's called odds. The ODDS are overwhelmingly against a prospect doing well or at least to Oneal level. That is why they are by and large worthless. For every Oneal, there are 100 Corleone Youngs and Leon Smiths. That is why you don't trade a sure thing for a low probability guy who has shown nothing that could potentially make him worthwhile just because we might get a gold nugget on a rare occasion.

Listen, Tom Brady was drafted in the six round. Does that mean sixth round picks can't be characterized as worthless?

None of you would actually back any of this crap up with an actual bet of money that Crittenton would turn into an all-star because that would show you how low the odds are of you being successful. Why is it ok for the Grizzlies to make the same bet with a player they could have gotten more established players for?

None of you would actually back any of this crap up with an actual bet of money that Crittenton would turn into an all-star because that would show you how low the odds are of you being successful. Why is it ok for the Grizzlies to make the same bet with a player they could have gotten more established players for?

Because they slashed $61 million of payroll over the next 4 years

O'Neal will be in Phoenix on Wednesday for a physical, according to a Suns team source.

The Suns have moved Wednesday morning's shoot-around, which was originally scheduled at 9:45 a.m., to 4:45 p.m. - hours prior to their contest against the New Orleans Hornets.

The Suns will part ways with Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks and move to a conventional style with O'Neal playing the 5.

The Suns have major concerns about chemistry issues on the team and feel a trade for O'Neal would alleviate those issues, plus give them the post defender they lack.

The money would be a wash this year and next, but the Suns would be on the hook for $20 million in 2009-10 - the final year of O'Neals' contract. There is a belief that the window for Steve Nash to win a championship is down to this year and next and that O'Neal would give the Suns a better chance to win now.

My sources tell me that O'Neal desperately wants to come to Phoenix and will be rejuvenated to have a chance to win again and that the Suns do not have any concerns over his injured hip.

The Suns will not expect O'Neal to dominate as he did in his prime, in fact his minutes will probably hover around 25 per game as they try to keep him fresh for the playoffs and a potential matchup against Tim Duncan and the Spurs.

It is clear that a trade for O'Neal would be a negative indictment on the Suns current style and would suggest that management does not believe the current run-and-gun style can win a title.

Rumor also has it that if we make this deal, that would mean we may have passed on a deal with the Mavs involving Josh Howard.

The Heat aren't stupid. They wouldn't pass on Josh Howard.

The Heat aren't stupid. They wouldn't pass on Josh Howard.

The Matrix is a better player than josh howard

the overwhelming reaction out here is that it's a bad deal for the suns

marion has burned a ton of bridges the past couple of years and is as prima donna as they come - people were ready to see him and his huge contract go, but with rumors of okafor and dalembert floating the shaq move seemed like a let down

most feel he's done - there are some people who feel this can put them over the top by giving a big body that can get rebounds, clog the post, pass and start the break with outlet feeds

the thoughts are that with shaq you don't have any big man in the west have a career night against you, you don't have robert horry throwing body checks and you have title experience in the locker room

i think those are pretty good points - i fall in the camp that doesn't think it's a good move because I don't think he has much left in him - i think the years of playing have wore his body down

As long as the Suns aren't expecting the Shaq from the Lakers, or even the 2006 Heat, the trade can work out for them. I think he can still be an effective player when he is surrounded by the type of shooters that the Suns have. As long as he is healthy in the playoffs, this move may pay off for them. He can't do it consistently, but he can still have one of those huge 30 point, 15 rebound games in the playoffs and be a difference in a series. Their window is closing fast and they know it. They better win now, or they are in for a Heat like fall.

For the Heat, this is just a brilliant move. It moves up the rebuilding process a year, maybe 2. They should end up with a top 5 pick, and will either have Marion or another big time free agent to team with Wade. The Heat should be able to get back into contention in the East quickly.

As long as the Suns aren't expecting the Shaq from the Lakers, or even the 2006 Heat, the trade can work out for them. I think he can still be an effective player when he is surrounded by the type of shooters that the Suns have. As long as he is healthy in the playoffs, this move may pay off for them. He can't do it consistently, but he can still have one of those huge 30 point, 15 rebound games in the playoffs and be a difference in a series. Their window is closing fast and they know it. They better win now, or they are in for a Heat like fall.

For the Heat, this is just a brilliant move. It moves up the rebuilding process a year, maybe 2. They should end up with a top 5 pick, and will either have Marion or another big time free agent to team with Wade. The Heat should be able to get back into contention in the East quickly.

yup...and at this rate...it will be the first or 2nd overall pick...plus marion or some other big time free agent...judging by the face our big men dont look like they have much a future...id like to see us focusing on getting a big man and a shooter to compliment wade

Seems like only yesterday he drove up in that big rig. He definitely put this franchise on the map.

uh...i think zo did that...he is gonna be our first hall of famer

Zo made them a championship contender in the 90's, but what I meant was that Shaq filled the seats and helped make them a big market team along with Wade. Wade got a ton of exposure when Shaq came here. All they used to talk about was LeBron and Carmello during Wade's rookie year.