Is Hermida the new Joe Borchard?

I was being sarcastic as well with the Ruth joke.

I have a feeling Jeremy will only start producing once he's out of Florida.

Hes producing decently right now depending on what you consider producing. He is drawing walks at an obscene rate.

In all seriousness

Hermida has looked good IMHO this year, and I am usually critical of him. His patience at the plate is a very welcomed departure from the rest of the lineup and even his defense looks better this year, even if he did have a few moments in a game or two already. But I don't have any major complaints about Hermida this year. I do wonder if he could maintain that effectiveness at the plate though if was moved up in the order, maybe to the #2 spot. If Maybin picks up a bit more and Bonifacio struggles more then I'd like to see Maybin & Hermida go 1,2.

In all seriousness

Hermida has looked good IMHO this year, and I am usually critical of him. His patience at the plate is a very welcomed departure from the rest of the lineup and even his defense looks better this year, even if he did have a few moments in a game or two already. But I don't have any major complaints about Hermida this year. I do wonder if he could maintain that effectiveness at the plate though if was moved up in the order, maybe to the #2 spot. If Maybin picks up a bit more and Bonifacio struggles more then I'd like to see Maybin & Hermida go 1,2.

I agree, and its funny that I didn't even check this thread before posting about the same exact thing in the post game thread. I'm another person critical of Hermida, but seeing him walk 21 times thus far this season, he can be very productive for this team. His abilities aren't being used to the fullest in the spot he currently is in, and it needs to happen that he bats 2nd, get the pitchers timing off, he can ride up pitch counts and draw walks. And with Maybin in front of him, we still have our base stealing ability at the top of the lineup, and it seems to me always that Maybin bats better when he sees the pitcher first and doesn't have to wait until the 2nd-3rd to bat for the first time.

In all seriousness

I agree, and its funny that I didn't even check this thread before posting about the same exact thing in the post game thread. I'm another person critical of Hermida, but seeing him walk 21 times thus far this season, he can be very productive for this team. His abilities aren't being used to the fullest in the spot he currently is in, and it needs to happen that he bats 2nd, get the pitchers timing off, he can ride up pitch counts and draw walks. And with Maybin in front of him, we still have our base stealing ability at the top of the lineup, and it seems to me always that Maybin bats better when he sees the pitcher first and doesn't have to wait until the 2nd-3rd to bat for the first time.

And not to get totally off topic with Maybin, but during his productive moments when he was called up last year, he was batting leadoff almost exclusively. But I also like Hermida in the #2 spot because even without the speed of other guys, if he's getting on base before Hanley and Cantu, the team will be better off for it.

Yes, obviously.

Cameron Maybin is also the new Preston Wilson and Emilio Bonifacio is/was the new Luis Castillo.

Josh Johnson is the new Kevin Brown. Andrew Miller the new Wes Obermueller.

Alfredo Amezaga the new Ozzie Smith.

Hanley Ramirez the new Benchwarmer.

Matt Lindstrom the next Ricky Vaughn...

well if you're going to be that way, Emilio Bonaficio would be better compared to Willie Mays Hayes.

Dan Uggla the next Pedro Cerano

John Baker the next Jake Taylor

Wouldn't it be great if Bonifacio(ut) did a pushup everytime he hit a fly ball? :p

It's a shame Cantu doesn't play 3B anymore. He'd easily be Dorn (forgot the first name).

Uhhh Roger Dorn?

The question I posed had to do with living up to their potential. I think this is a make or break for Hermida. I think he's been playing well I just think Borchard was such a talent that Hermida is and never made it. At times I start to worry about Hermida. He needs to adjust to start hitting those changeups.

The question I posed had to do with living up to their potential. I think this is a make or break for Hermida. I think he's been playing well I just think Borchard was such a talent that Hermida is and never made it. At times I start to worry about Hermida. He needs to adjust to start hitting those changeups.

He's not a Borchard but he's not a Giles or Drew either like some around here think. He could be a Damon as far as BA, OBP and SLG but Jeremy Ks a lot more and Damon is a good base runner while Jeremy is horrible on the bases.