Inception

jmp

I still am absolutely confused as to exactly what this movie is about, but I'm going to see it. I have a rule with movies, and that is if certain actors+certain directors+certain type of movie, it is going to be a success.

Leonardo DiCaprio+Christopher Nolan+Action/Intellectual Movie=Major Success.

I want to see this too, even though I'm one of the few people who disliked The Dark Knight.

This has been a horrible year for summer movies. Inception is the only film that looks remotely watchable. In fact the whole year has been bad. I don't think I've seen a movie in a theater since Avatar.

Yeah it has been a pretty bad year for movies, my highlight at the movies was probably watching Toy Story with my little brother. I was looking forward to Splice but was disappointed, hopefully this one lives up to the hype.

Planning to go and see this on Friday night. I used to hate DiCaprio solely because he was associated with Titanic/Romeo & Juliet but nowadays I really like a lot of his films such as Catch Me If You Can, The Departed, Shutter Island and Blood Diamond. Hopefully can add Inception to that list.

I want to see this too, even though I'm one of the few people who disliked The Dark Knight.

This has been a horrible year for summer movies. Inception is the only film that looks remotely watchable. In fact the whole year has been bad. I don't think I've seen a movie in a theater since Avatar.

How did you not like Shutter Island?

I love when I walk out of a theater and all I can do is think about the movie. I have so many questions, so many things I still can't put together. Thoroughly entertaining film, I need to watch it again to figure out if a lot of the things I noticed in the film were actually clever or just there. One thing I can say about Nolan is that the guy knows how to make an entertaining film, I don't think I have liked the concept of a movie so much in a long time.

OK so after watching it for a second time I think I have made up my mind... somewhat.

I think in the end he stayed stuck in limbo. He never came back to reality, not the way we see it anyway, it was reality for him, but not the reality we see in other parts of the film. The way I saw it, after Moll died, Cobb was never sure of what reality was, his only connection to reality were his children. I say that he was never sure of what reality was because of things I picked up during the film, my first clue was when Ariadne sneaks into his 'memory prison' and he takes her to the memory of when he left his children, he said something along the lines "I have to get back home, I have to get back to reality", that was kind of the first thing that jumped out at me, and made me think he doubted his reality. As the film went on I started seeing his wife as his subconscious representation of his doubts. Perfect evidence of this is towards the end of the film when he is talking to his wife and she pretty much spells out his doubts, I can't recall the exact words she said but I remember her mentioning getting chased around by unknown companies and stuff like that. On to the ending.... it was obviously left open to interpretation, the totem looks like is about to stop spinning but we never actually see it stop. However, there are other things that jumped out at me from the last scene, his kids are wearing the same clothes they were wearing in his memory of them in the house, they are also playing in the same spot they were in his memory, they are also the same age as they were in his memory, we are never told how long he has been away from them, but I suspect it has been at least a year if not more, yet they seem the same age, I may be reading too much into that but its just something to think about. Another thing is that earlier in the film when Cobb talks to his children they are with their grandmother, leading me to believe they live with her, possibly in her house, yet in the end they are in his house and the grandmother is never seen. His father was apparently a teacher in Paris, so he obviously wasn't living with the children, yet he is the one we see in the end. These things can probably be taken to mean something else or even to support the fact that he indeed ended up in 'reality', but I just saw it this way.

There are other little things I noticed, but can't quite figure out whether they fit anywhere in this puzzle or not. The scene where he is being chased by Cobol Engineering and runs into an impossibly narrow alley and all we see is white light, yet when he emerges on the other sides everything kind of materializes. Another scene is when Ariadne makes her totem and then shows it to Cobb, for some reason that scene stayed with me, yet I can't really say if it means anything or not. Something else I noticed is that everybody else in the film seems kind of empty, none of them have families, or at least they never talk about them, we never learn if they have any motivations or how they got to that point, the only one who seemed human to me was Cobb, which could be a clue that what was portrayed as 'reality' in the film was in fact just another dream layer and Moll was right after all, but that's another interpretation....lol.

Now here is the thing I couldn't really understand, so if any of you could shed some light, please do. I don't understand how he ended up in the limbo where Saito was, did he have to kill himself, or did he die from Moll's stab? Or was that the same limbo where he already was, if so, why didn't he age like Saito did?

Anyways, I would like to hear your interpretations.

Saito and Cobb were in the same limbo because they both died within the multi layered dream. Saito was shot and eventually died while in the dream layer in the end in the mountains. Remember he was originally shot in the car chase, so the fact that he died in a later layer meant he went what they would call "too deep" into the dream state, thus he became too sedated to wake up and ended up in limbo.

Cobb died in the water during the car chase. In the dream state where he is with his wife, he could've fell off the building like Ariadne did and thus given himself the kick to wake himself up in the car and escape. However, they showed him just stay with his wife and never showed Cobb actually go off the building to give himself that kick, thus he just stayed in that dream layer, drowned inside the car and ended up in limbo with Saito.

How I perceive it is once he figured out while with Saito in limbo that it wasn't reality, he gave himself that kick and woke himself out of it, thus the reason right after he figures it out you see him on the plane with everybody else. You remember when he was in limbo with his wife he needed to achieve inception in his wife's mind that the reality they were living in wasn't actually reality in order for them to get that kick and wake up in reality. Thus, I believe the plane, everything you see at the end of the movie, with Cobb hugging his children, is all true reality. Because it is the exact type of scenario that got his wife out of their dream state and back into reality.

Man, I totally confused myself with the way I presented that. This movie definitely takes a lot of thinking to come up with a conclusion for the ending.

Saito and Cobb were in the same limbo because they both died within the multi layered dream. Saito was shot and eventually died while in the dream layer in the end in the mountains. Remember he was originally shot in the car chase, so the fact that he died in a later layer meant he went what they would call "too deep" into the dream state, thus he became too sedated to wake up and ended up in limbo.

Cobb died in the water during the car chase. In the dream state where he is with his wife, he could've fell off the building like Ariadne did and thus given himself the kick to wake himself up in the car and escape. However, they showed him just stay with his wife and never showed Cobb actually go off the building to give himself that kick, thus he just stayed in that dream layer, drowned inside the car and ended up in limbo with Saito.

How I perceive it is once he figured out while with Saito in limbo that it wasn't reality, he gave himself that kick and woke himself out of it, thus the reason right after he figures it out you see him on the plane with everybody else. You remember when he was in limbo with his wife he needed to achieve inception in his wife's mind that the reality they were living in wasn't actually reality in order for them to get that kick and wake up in reality. Thus, I believe the plane, everything you see at the end of the movie, with Cobb hugging his children, is all true reality. Because it is the exact type of scenario that got his wife out of their dream state and back into reality.

Man, I totally confused myself with the way I presented that. This movie definitely takes a lot of thinking to come up with a conclusion for the ending.

Well Cobb could also have died in the mountain dream state, since he didn't make the kick and the place blew up with him inside, still doesn't explain why Saito had aged so much and he hadn't aged at all.

On other thing I forgot to point out before, Cobb never got to spun his totem after he woke up from the dream in the chemist's basement, in fact he didn't spin it again until the end of the movie if I remember correctly, just another thing I noticed.

Just saw it and it was amazing, great acting and story from all parts.

I don't know how to spoiler something so I'm just going with a quick observation in my eyes.

At the end he finally did see his kids faces, something he never could do in his dream state thus it was actually reality.

i honestly got soooo pissed at the ending.

I don't know how to spoiler something so I'm just going with a quick observation in my eyes.

At the end he finally did see his kids faces, something he never could do in his dream state thus it was actually reality.

A few things.

At the end he did see his kids face. He had refused to see them at the dream stages (in Limbo at the end with his wife) because he didn't want to give into temptation. I believe that it would just be too much to bear if he saw his kids and his wife begging him to stay with them.

So you can actually say, that because he saw his kids face, he really didn't care about the totem falling or not, he just knew he wanted to stay with them.

Playing devil's advocate here. You can also make an argument that when he saw his kids, he KNEW he was in the 'real' reality, hence he didn't care/ he just knew he was in the right place.

So, I really hate to say it, but I think it's left open to interpretation. I'm an optimistic, so I go for reality at the end, my wife thinks otherwise.

A few things.

At the end he did see his kids face. He had refused to see them at the dream stages (in Limbo at the end with his wife) because he didn't want to give into temptation. I believe that it would just be too much to bear if he saw his kids and his wife begging him to stay with them.

So you can actually say, that because he saw his kids face, he really didn't care about the totem falling or not, he just knew he wanted to stay with them.

Playing devil's advocate here. You can also make an argument that when he saw his kids, he KNEW he was in the 'real' reality, hence he didn't care/ he just knew he was in the right place.

So, I really hate to say it, but I think it's left open to interpretation. I'm an optimistic, so I go for reality at the end, my wife thinks otherwise.

This is kind of the way I saw it, like I said before his kids were his only connection to reality, besides spining his totem which he did after waking up, every time. I don't think that he couldn't see his kids faces because he didn't remember them, I don't think that's plausible, its just that the fact that he didn't allow himself to see their faces in the dream world allowed him to confirm he was indeed dreaming, therefore when he finally saw their faces in the end he gave in and to him that was 'reality' because he was home. Now whether that reality is true reality or just his reality is what is up for debate.

Btw you add spoiler with the tags "[ spoile r][ /spo iler]". Sorry for bad grammar/spelling errrors I'm on my phone and its hard to proof read...lol

My guess is that in the end, he was back in reality. To me, if you listen very carefully as the top is spinning when the screen goes to black, it sounds as if it toppled over. In the theater I cursed very loudly at the ending, lol.

Such a fantastic movie.

My guess is that in the end, he was back in reality. To me, if you listen very carefully as the top is spinning when the screen goes to black, it sounds as if it toppled over. In the theater I cursed very loudly at the ending, lol.

Such a fantastic movie.

I can CONFIRM that this is not the case.

Although, I do think he's in reality as well- but it has nothing to do with the totem.

After some thought, I've changed my opinion on what the ending meant.

I actually believe now that the ending meant he was in a dream state. I mean his kids were in the same exact kind of setting as he had last seen them, they hadn't aged, and the whole point of the ending was that it really didn't matter to him what "reality" truly was, as long as he was with his kids in whatever universe they are in, he's happy. I think the ending was more symbolic of his love and will to be with his children than anything else, and that in the end he found the happiness with his children he had been seeking.

After some thought, I've changed my opinion on what the ending meant.

I actually believe now that the ending meant he was in a dream state. I mean his kids were in the same exact kind of setting as he had last seen them, they hadn't aged, and the whole point of the ending was that it really didn't matter to him what "reality" truly was, as long as he was with his kids in whatever universe they are in, he's happy. I think the ending was more symbolic of his love and will to be with his children than anything else, and that in the end he found the happiness with his children he had been seeking.

This is actually what I thought right after watching the movie (and I still do-sorta). However,

The kids they showed at the end were not the same actors AND they were wearing SIMILAR clothing, not the same. The easiest part to notice are their shoes. I believe that in the dreams they were wearing shoes while at the end they had sandals- or something to that extent.