Welcome Guest

Navigation

Welcome to MarlinsBaseball.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Braves, Cubs Discussing Derrek Lee Trade

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

dom2613

dom2613

Zephyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 18 at 10:40am CST] 10:40am: The Braves and Cubs are "way along in the process" of working out a deal, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick (all Twitter links). Lee appears willing to accept the deal, but the clubs haven't determined which players would go to Chicago. Not surprisingly, the Cubs don't seem likely to get big-time prospects in the potential deal.

9:57am: The deal "has legs," according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). Lee must still waive his no-trade clause. Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com also hears that the Cubs and Braves are working on a deal.

9:22am: The Braves are close to trading for Derrek Lee, according to David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com. Lee, who vetoed a deal to the Angels last month, must approve any trade the Cubs propose. Sources close to Lee told Kaplan that the first baseman would likely approve a deal to Atlanta. Kaplan's sources say the trade would be a salary dump and is near completion.

The Cubs owe Lee $3.4MM between now and the end of the season, when he hits free agency. The 34-year-old has a .251/.335/.416 line in 475 plate appearances and projects to be a Type B free agent this offseason. Lee has a .939 OPS since the All-Star break, but is currently dealing with back soreness.

Lee isn't an obvious platoon partner for Troy Glaus, since both players have a history of hitting left-handers a bit better than they hit right-handers. Glaus, a longtime third baseman, isn't considered an option at the hot corner anymore, but he has been slumping (.575 OPS in the last two months), so the Braves could replace him with Lee.

I don't wanna see Lee in a Braves uni.

gizmo

gizmo

RALLY, BITCH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,854 posts
Lee would be an upgrade over Glaus defensively, but he doesn't hit the ball as well anymore.

I Love Me Some Fish

I Love Me Some Fish

2013 = year of the fish?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts
Well Lee has been hitting very well of late and maybe a change of scenery will get him more consistent. And I dont think he is close to being done at all...he had a hell of a year last season.

I Love Me Some Fish

I Love Me Some Fish

2013 = year of the fish?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts
It's all but done according to MLBTradeRumors

coby858

coby858

Fat guy in a little coat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Glaus will be a RH batter off the bench, while he is healing his tired legs. I can see him playing 1B and 3B after that as well as being a force off the bench as a PH.

Lee gives the Braves a great D 1B which Glaus was terrible in that dept.

All in all it would be an amazing deal for ATL as long as we do not give up a top prospect.

coby858

coby858

Fat guy in a little coat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Heck...

Maybe we do good in the playoffs and decide to sign him long term. Have Freddy Freeman start learning LF and boom...we got a lineup.

Rabbethan

Rabbethan

Member of Captain Mitre's Pirate Crew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,922 posts
This is what we call a minor upgrade. A "whatever" trade.

BTW, talking about Braves trades:

Alex Gonzalez: .241/.311/.407
Yunel Escobar: .311/.365/.434

Solid trade Bravos.

el penguino

el penguino

Marlin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,525 posts

Solid trade Bravos.

Getting rid of a clubhouse cancer is more important than offensive production is.

Rabbethan

Rabbethan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,922 posts

Solid trade Bravos.

Getting rid of a clubhouse cancer is more important than offensive production is.
Clearly. Jays must be kicking themselves right now.

2Brave2Bscared

2Brave2Bscared

Muckdog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Solid trade Bravos.

By the way, talk about clueless idiots:

Rabbethan

Rabbethan

Rabbethan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,922 posts

Solid trade Bravos.

By the way, talk about clueless idiots:

Rabbethan
Touchy touchy Braves fan.

2Brave2Bscared

2Brave2Bscared

Muckdog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

It's true: stupidity offends me. I can't help it.

Entendu

Entendu

sXe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Solid trade Bravos.

The first of many, hopefully. I f***ing hate the Braves with a passion.

Rabbethan

Rabbethan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,922 posts

There's nothing healthy about self loathing.

But instead of being an idiot and just insulting me, how about you defend trading away a young SS for an old SS who's not as good defensively or offensively.

Marlins Phenom

Marlins Phenom

July 5th is the day!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

But instead of being an idiot and just insulting me, how about you defend trading away a young SS for an old SS who's not as good defensively or offensively.
I dont see anything wrong with the trade.. He wasn't well liked in the Braves, wasn't playing well. So might as well trade him

Rabbethan

Rabbethan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,922 posts

I dont see anything wrong with the trade.. He wasn't well liked in the Braves, wasn't playing well. So might as well trade him
But he wasn't playing well for, you know, three months? Trading someone who has been one of the top SS for the last 3 years because he had a bad 3 months? And then trading him for someone 6 years older who's had the best 3 months of his career (which was still below what Yunel did in the previous 3 years)? It's the exact opposite of what you're supposed to do; buy low, sell high. That's what the Jays did, the sold a guy who was hitting way above his head for someone younger and better who was hitting below his head. And since the trade everything's gone just how it was expected, Yunel picked up and Seabass slowed down.

Marlins Phenom

Marlins Phenom

July 5th is the day!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts
Your just talking about stats.. He was NOT liked at all in the clubhouse! He had no future with the Braves

Rabbethan

Rabbethan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,922 posts
Your just talking about stats.. He was NOT liked at all in the clubhouse! He had no future with the Braves

I'm just talking about stuff that actually wins you baseball games.

Also, even if you want to trade him because of some silly clubhouse stuff, wait til he's hitting and don't trade him for something worse. If they had traded him in the off-season or traded him at the end of the season after his bat came back, it would have worked out way better. Instead they waited til his value was at his lowest and traded him for something who's value was at the highest it would ever be again.

MrMarlinPride

MrMarlinPride

Unsung Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,349 posts
They officially get Lee. Hopefully he doesn't do well because he was heating up with the Cubs...

Also the Yunel trade was ridiculously dumb which ever way you put it, and they threw in a guy who could be good in JoJo Reyes.

Schnellders

Schnellders

The Sinister Scotsman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,358 posts

Solid trade Bravos.

Toronto is 19-12 since acquiring Escobar. Suggests the "clubhouse cancer" tag may not be all its made out to be as they are playing successfully with him in their lineup. The Braves have an almost identical record at 19-13 since the trade

JUGS batting cages