8/1 Post Game

gizmo

Dietrich was absolutely awful, really.

Not only were his offensive #'s poor, but he was much worse at 2B than people seem to want to admit.

He definitely has more upside, though.

relax there.

I don't know what you mean by that. He was pretty bad. Hopefully he can work on his plate discipline in the minors and produce more when he's called up again.

Not only were his offensive #'s poor, but he was much worse at 2B than people seem to want to admit.

relax there.

I don't know what you mean by that. He was pretty bad. Hopefully he can work on his plate discipline in the minors and produce more when he's called up again.

He showed a lot of good things. Power, ability to hit lefties, opposite field power, and I think he was pretty solid at second base as well with a very good arm.

Plate discipline? Yes, needs work.

relax there.

He showed a lot of good things. Power, ability to hit lefties, opposite field power, and I think he was pretty solid at second base as well with a very good arm.

I wouldn't count on his ability to hit lefties to be an exciting thing. That was his flaw in the minors, and it was a small sample of 56 plate appearances in the big leagues with a 1.8 BB%/28.6 K%.

As for opposite field power, I don't really care where the guys hit the HR's, but it's worth noting that I don't think I ever saw him go opposite field for a HR so I don't think that's true.

He was also the opposite of solid at 2B. No range.

Just throwing this back out there, I say whenever Cogs come back throw him at second for a while.

But of course who knows there. I thought he was getting ready to come back then not another thing about him

I think the issue with Coghlan at second is he's a terrible defender. He probably can't make that up with his bat.

Dietrichs WAR in 57 G is 0.1 WAR on fangraphs and -0.0 WAR on baseball-reference. I'm not convinced he's the 2B of the future. We don't have anyone at 2B IMO.

I'm not convinced either, but he's still world's better than Solano

I don't know about being "world's better", but he does have more upside than Solano.

relax there.

I wouldn't count on his ability to hit lefties to be an exciting thing. That was his flaw in the minors, and it was a small sample of 56 plate appearances in the big leagues with a 1.8 BB%/28.6 K%.

As for opposite field power, I don't really care where the guys hit the HR's, but it's worth noting that I don't think I ever saw him go opposite field for a HR so I don't think that's true.

He was also the opposite of solid at 2B. No range.

What do you think we should do about our 2b issue?

I'm not convinced that Dietrich is the second baseman of the future. This board overrates him.

You think we overrate everyone.

What don't you like about him?

That's a pretty dumb accusation. I've never said anyone was overrating guys like Yelich, Fernandez, Stanton, Heaney, Ozuna, and Turner.

And I never said that Dietrich has no shot at being a starter. I don't think that his poor range (for a middle infielder) and mediocre plate discipline make him a lock for the 2B job.

I'm not convinced that Dietrich is the second baseman of the future. This board overrates him.

That's a pretty dumb accusation. I've never said anyone was overrating guys like Yelich, Fernandez, Stanton, Heaney, Ozuna, and Turner.

And I never said that Dietrich has no shot at being a starter. I don't think that his poor range (for a middle infielder) and mediocre plate discipline make him a lock for the 2B job.

What's sad (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that we really don't have a decent 2B in our system right now. So Dietrich is the best available for the position.

What's sad is (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that we really don't have a decent 2B in our system right now. So Dietrich is the best available for the position.

Give Dietrich more of a shot in 2014, keep developing the starting pitching depth and make a trade for 2015 if needed for when we'll be in a better place to compete.

I think they should spend money in free agency on a 2B. Since Loria is cheap, the only answer is to hope Dietrich develops.

I don't disagree, but unless we can land Cano :p ain't much out there

Second basemen

Robinson Cano (31)

Alexi Casilla (29)

Mark Ellis (37) - $5.75MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Mike Fontenot (34)

Omar Infante (32)

Kelly Johnson (32)

Nick Punto (36)

Ryan Raburn (33)

Brian Roberts (36)

Ramon Santiago (34)

Skip Schumaker (34)

Chase Utley (35)

Ben Zobrist (33) - $7MM club option with a $2.5MM buyout

I didn't say you didn't. I was just wondering what made you pause about him.

I agree. His defense is suspect. His plate discipline bothers me but I don't think it's as worrisome as his defense, especially if he continues to hit for the power he has so far.