Welcome Guest

Navigation

Welcome to MarlinsBaseball.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Stanton Open to Return- With Security

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Jay Ram

Jay Ram

Hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
I'm interested in knowing how is recent conversations have gone with Samson, Loria and the front office. Assuming he doesn't trust any direction they set, he probably needs reassurance and won't sign on for too long.

Obviously hoping it works out.

SilverBullet1929

SilverBullet1929

Zephyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts
Well I know its just one measly interview on a random day in spring training but that's definitely the most positive and straightforward we've heard Stanton in over a year.

Most other interviews have been "eh yeah Im happy, I guess, maybe, sorta ehhh actually I don't wanna talk about it." Maybe they just caught him in a really good moment.

Larry

Larry

The Head Fish

• Admin
  • 31,188 posts
  • LocationNew York
I'd be happy too if I signed for $6.5 mllion

BroncoBob27

BroncoBob27

Marlin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts
Maybe to all of the above. Trying to sign him right after the debacle of 2012 would have been counter productive. And I can't blame him for not wanting to talk long term contract now. Trying to force something on him right now would also be counter productive. It would be like telling him that him and his reps are too stupid to know what is best for him. We know better, so shut up and sign on the dotted line. Better to let him take his time and just see how things transpire. He knows he's getting another hefty raise again next off season no matter what. The real question is whether or not he wants to stay here.

el penguino

el penguino

Marlin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,525 posts
He'll go where the money is; the Marlins won't have it. They already blew their chance to sign him affordably.
  • FutureGM and cdy_0513 like this

Wild Card

Wild Card

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,351 posts
Really cool Stanton Vs. Puig story on ESPN

http://espn.go.com/mlb/hot?id=10628295

FishFan24

FishFan24

Marlin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,078 posts
I think this is absolutely the last chance that the Marlins have to prove to Stanton that they are moving in the right direction. If they can some how be competitive this year and start to push through on expectations and Loria mans up and actually decides to invest some real money into this team, then I think there is a good chance Stanton sticks around for years to come.

Now another 100-loss season and another fire sale and we can start seeing Stanton jerseys going on deep sale before too long.

SilverBullet1929

SilverBullet1929

Zephyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts
If we have another 100 loss season, Stanton won't have a choice cause he'll be the first one shipped out to initiate the next fire sale.

squall

squall

8==========D

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,951 posts
If we have another 100 loss season, Stanton won't have a choice cause he'll be the first one shipped out to initiate the next fire sale.
There is nothing to really sell off right now.

FutureGM

FutureGM

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,569 posts
Well they can move Stanton, but yeah other than that there isn't a lot to trade.

el penguino

el penguino

Marlin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,525 posts
They could sell of Salty, I guess.

Eddie Altamonte

Eddie Altamonte

Marlin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,117 posts
http://www.sun-senti...Sentinel Blogs)

Juan Rodriguez indicates that if the Marlins offered a contract along 8 years/146 mill should be about the right number to sign Stanton but if they wait to the off-season it will likely be rejected by Stanton

Jay Ram

Jay Ram

Hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
http://www.sun-senti..._campaign=Feed: marlinsblog (Florida Marlins | Sun-Sentinel Blogs)

Juan Rodriguez indicates that if the Marlins offered a contract along 8 years/146 mill should be about the right number to sign Stanton but if they wait to the off-season it will likely be rejected by Stanton

I just think a resolution has to come soon, because Jose and Yelich, honestly, should get extended as early as next winter if Miami is serious about keeping a home grown core.

Wild Card

Wild Card

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,351 posts
Those are more than fair offers to extend him...

FutureGM

FutureGM

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,569 posts
I would be surprised if this team offered him Mike Trout money. I think that's high anyway.

MarlinsLou

MarlinsLou

Bonifaciennes Unite!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts
http://www.sun-senti..._campaign=Feed: marlinsblog (Florida Marlins | Sun-Sentinel Blogs)

Stanton is not going to sign a contract for that "low" amount to wipe out all his free agency years and not give a second opportunity at a large mega contract, which is the whole point. Trout will be a free agent in his prime. This cannot be emphasized enough. The Marlins would have to step up to a $175-200 mil deal for 8 years (assuming he is awesome and what we all expect).

A much more realistic scenario if this is going to happen (which I think not and they trade him) is a 4-5 year extension at a lot of money, $20 million annual range. This allows him to be a free agent in prime (29-30 years old) to get an insane deal, and that kind of money sets him up for life and then some. There is still something to be said about a player 3 full years away from free agency where they'd sacrifice a few free agency years even if the Marlins have overwhelmingly blown it. That's where the focus needs to be with Stanton. Get 2-3 free agency years and feel happy you get those because you neglected to sign him 2012-2013 like a bunch of idiots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

JUGS batting cages