Updated BA Top 20 Prospects for Marlins

MrAndMrsFish

1) Andrew Heaney - Currently in AAA

2) Tyler Kolek - Currently in GCL

3) Colin Moran - Currently in A (Jupiter)

4) Anthony DeSclafani - Currently in AAA

5) Justin Nicolino - Currently in AA

6) Avery Romero - Currently in A (Jupiter)

7) Trevor Williams - Currently in A (Jupiter)

8) J.T. Realmuto - Currently in AA

9) Adam Conley - Currently in AAA (Currently on the 7-DAY DL)

10) Jose Urena - Currently in AA

11) Brian Flynn - Currently in AAA

12) Domingo German - Currently in A (Greensboro)

13) Jarlin Garcia - Currently in A (Greensboro)

14) Sam Dyson - Currently in MLB

15) Justin Twine - Currently in GCL

16) Colby Suggs - Currently in A (Jupiter)

17) Austin Dean - Currently in A (Greensboro)

18) Austin Barnes - Currently in AA

19) Austin Brice - Currently in A (Jupiter)

20) Nick Wittgren - Currently in AA

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=mia

Here's what I'd put the list at most likely

1) Andrew Heaney

2) Colin Moran

3) Tyler Kolek

4) J.T Realmuto

5) Avery Romero

6) Justin Nicolino

7) Anthony Desclafani

8) Adam Conley

9) Trevor Williams

10) Jose Urena

11) Brian Flynn

12) Domingo German

13) Chad Wallach

14) Austin Barnes

15) Mark Canha

16) Austin Dean

17) Justin Twine

18) Austin Brice

19) Brian Anderson

20) Justin Bohn

Guys on the outside looking in but deserve recognition include...

Nick Wittgren

Sean Townsley

Ryan Newell

Felix Munoz

J.T Riddle

Kentrell Dewitt

Scott Lyman

I don't know why Jarlin Garcia is even listed at all. 21 year old in Greensboro getting hammered for a 5+ ERA this year. Colby Suggs is another guy who doesn't deserve recognition given he's been awful since arriving in the minors. Sure, he got a quick call up to Jupiter based on college success but he doesn't seem like somebody who can make a major league roster.

Out of the draft picks we took this past draft the ones I've noticed other than Anderson are Justin Twine, Brian Scales, and Stone Garrett thus far. Might be guys to pay attention to going forward.

Domingo German is a top-5 prospect in the system, imo.

He's got great stuff and potentially a great future, but a 22 year old coming off his first minor league season above Batavia...I just can't rank him above guys who have larger track records in the minor. If he repeats in Jupiter next year what he did in GBoro this year...no doubt in my mind he becomes in the upper echelon of Nicolino through Flynn that I listed above.

I really believe Romero and Wallach could be regulars in the Marlins lineup some time in the future (definitely need to see more than a season in GBoro and some work in Jupiter to make a full opinion, but the upside is definitely there. Wallach's plate discipline is off the charts and Romero's hit tool likewise). Both guys are great hitters. Some point next year I see both these guys becoming the top hitting prospects in the Marlins system, with better upside than a lot of those "good but not great" starting pitchers that are pretty much interchangeable.

Prospects are exactly that so no list can be right or wrong, but this list is missing some key prospects and giving too much credit to others. German should be higher regardless of his age and the class level ceiling that he has had. His stuff is impressive and might be in my top 5. Dean is still in the late teens regardless that he posted a basically identical average to number #6 Romero, but with more home runs, and more rbi in the same amount of games while both in Greensboro. Wallach has out-hit both of the previous in average and has a higher obp while with Greensboro and continues to do so in Jupiter and isn't on the list. Barnes has proven he can play multiple positions as well as hit above .300 in multiple leagues yet still gets little respect (not a top 10 but early teen would be nice). Twine has an upside athletically so I don't mind him being on the list but keeping Anderson off is wrong for sure. In both classes that he has been in he has 34 hits in just 31 games including 6 home runs, 6 doubles, and 1 tripple (24 rbi) and can play the corner as well as 2b. Bohn deserves a nod at 20 or so as well. Batting around .300 all year in both classes, with a ton of doubles and rbi in Greensboro and can play either middle infield position well. The pitchers get a bit fuzzy after Heaney and Kolek. Suggs is a wasted space on the list as of now and the rest of the pitchers as stated earlier are good but not great and very interchangeable.

Domingo German is having a great year and all and we've heard he had great stuff in the futures game but he is about to turn 22, he should be dominating Greensboro if he is a prospect with major league potential.

I think he will be a reliever down the road for us.

Also for those clamoring for Austin Barnes to be on the list I just don't see it. i get the positions he plays and that is nice and all, but he is almost 25 and is borderline incompetent against lefties to the point where he only has 23 AB's against them all year. He also doesn't have much power at all and he obviously isn't going to get on base at the rate he does in the minors at the major league level. He looks like a .650 OPS kinda guy in the majors with no power.

I'm really high on Wittgren but I understand relievers don't have as much value.

Also random but it's a shame injuries have effected Conley this year because I thought he had A LOT of potential (and still does for that matter). He looks like a great reliever as his floor. Look at the stats he put up the last two years as a starter before this year.

Im just rambling at this point but Urena has me very excited to see his future and Brian Flynn has been incredibly disappointing this year.

Also Colby Suggs blows. No control.

It is pretty think but they possibly had a very good draft, so it might upswing fairly quickly.

For the record, I am higher on Justin Bohn than alot of people. He is still pretty young and I think he could be a Brett Gardner type player and slot in nicely at the top of the order in a year or two, although the FSL hasnt been kind to him. Him and Romero should both start and stay in Jacksonville all of next year.