Playoffs? You Kidding Me? Playoffs? Well...Maybe.

At this point, Kershaw and McCutchen are the only competition, really.

I feel like Kershaw would win it if there wasn't a clear-cut position player that could take it. Stanton is that clear-cut position player right now. As long as he doesn't fumble it at the goal line, he should be able to make that push into the endzone.

See what I did there? Made a Stanton football reference. Rich and Tommy would be proud!

I feel like Kershaw would win it if there wasn't a clear-cut position player that could take it. Stanton is that clear-cut position player right now. As long as he doesn't fumble it at the goal line, he should be able to make that push into the endzone.

See what I did there? Made a Stanton football reference. Rich and Tommy would be proud!

He needs to make his free throws, too.

Bam, basketball thrown in, as well.

They'd be even more proud.

I personally think 2B would be fine with a healthy Dietrich and Kike platoon, to be honest. C, 1B, and especially SS are the positions in most dire need of an upgrade.

Ozuna could use more finetuning in the minors but in the long run I honestly think he will be fine. He was simply rushed to the show.

I personally think 2B would be fine with a healthy Dietrich and Kike platoon, to be honest. C, 1B, and especially SS are the positions in most dire need of an upgrade.

Ozuna could use more finetuning in the minors but in the long run I honestly think he will be fine. He was simply rushed to the show.

I'd be cool with Dietrich and Kike splitting second base. Too bad they'll both be too busy playing for the Zephyrs...

It's so difficult to find good catching, after watching last season I find Salty acceptable. In comparison to Brantly/Mathis he is a savior. I would let Salty finish out his deal, or at least 2015, and eventually Realmuto and Wallach will be the future.

Hech, in comparison to last year, has also become acceptable. People really make him out to be so bad, but defensively he is just fine and offensively he's not the worst in the league. He has zero power and never walks, but can make good contact often enough for your #8 hitter. While we could certainly upgrade, they won't and it could be worse. We could have Ruben Tejada.

First Base is interesting. Jones and Baker, combined, are exactly what we hoped for believe it or not. Just look at their splits. It's just a matter of platooning them the right way. They could stick with these two guys next year and I'd be OK with it. We also have a few options in the minor leagues that could provide an upgrade on a budget between Bour and Jensen/Canha. All three should be ready.

At this point it's pretty clear Ozuna is a major leaguer, any time in the minors would be useless. Unfortunately he had to learn in the majors, but he has performed like a major leaguer offensively and defensively. While he has struggled at times, he usually works his way through it. He will continue to get better, it's a matter of patience, but like you said he should be fine.

I'd be cool with Dietrich and Kike splitting second base. Too bad they'll both be too busy playing for the Zephyrs...

It's so difficult to find good catching, after watching last season I find Salty acceptable. In comparison to Brantly/Mathis he is a savior. I would let Salty finish out his deal, or at least 2015, and eventually Realmuto and Wallach will be the future.

Hech, in comparison to last year, has also become acceptable. People really make him out to be so bad, but defensively he is just fine and offensively he's not the worst in the league. He has zero power and never walks, but can make good contact often enough for your #8 hitter. While we could certainly upgrade, they won't and it could be worse. We could have Ruben Tejada.

First Base is interesting. Jones and Baker, combined, are exactly what we hoped for believe it or not. Just look at their splits. It's just a matter of platooning them the right way. They could stick with these two guys next year and I'd be OK with it. We also have a few options in the minor leagues that could provide an upgrade on a budget between Bour and Jensen/Canha. All three should be ready.

At this point it's pretty clear Ozuna is a major leaguer, any time in the minors would be useless. Unfortunately he had to learn in the majors, but he has performed like a major leaguer offensively and defensively. While he has struggled at times, he usually works his way through it. He will continue to get better, it's a matter of patience, but like you said he should be fine.

Ruben Tejada's defense actually makes him more valuable than Hech.

Tejada: 0.5 fWAR/1.0 rWAR

Hech: 0.2 fWAR/0.0 rWAR

Yes, but you made the point that hech is acceptable and clearly he is not.

Yea, well, eh. I won't really argue this.

One thing I will say, though. I don't think anybody hated Alex Gonzalez this much, or thought he was all that terrible. He also put up a -2 WAR season early in his career. Especially defensively, we all thought he was robbed of a Gold Glove year after year. The metrics didn't really like him, either, in retrospect. Just saying.

Guest Vince0926

Next season we should be a few games better and might sniff the playoffs. It's 2016 I'm interested in as they should have more payroll to sign some players and honestly need to push that year considering they are going to let one of the best players in baseball walk. It's all about 2016 kids.

That would make it 13 years that we havent make the playoffs. Im not sure about 2016. People may have injuries.

Guest Vince0926

No shit people may have injuries. The goal for the marlins is to have a good amount of cheap young talent all play together. 2016 will be the final year with Stanton, and they will receive a payroll boost as long as loria invests the new tv deal money into the team. So they will be able to upgrade at a couple positions.

So that will guarantee a 2016 title. Gotcha!

Hechavarria actually is the worst in the league, at his position, by a pretty wide margin.

And according to Fangraphs, Saltalamacchia is the 20th best catcher in baseball. Granted, Saltalamacchia is far and away better than Hechavarria but still not what I would call "acceptable". Being better than a combo of Jeff Mathis and Rob Brantly shouldnt be celebrated, it should be expected.

Teams can possibly win with these types of players, or a black hole at 2B and below average production at 1B, if they only have one of these problems. The Marlins have all of them, they are below to well below average in 4/5ths of their infield, and who knows what Casey McGehee will be next year if they retain him, although his production has seemed to normalize.

Ozuna is a ML player and I am happy with him. I think he will be fine, in the long run, as I said. But he definitely needs to work on his plate discipline and pitch recognition.

I could see this team hanging around by the skin of their teeth next year as they have this year, if they have the same benefit of players playing above their heads for certain lengths of time, but I just cant fathom how they could be a legitimate contender now or in the foreseeable future when they desperately need to upgrade over half of their everyday lineup.

Next season we should be a few games better and might sniff the playoffs. It's 2016 I'm interested in as they should have more payroll to sign some players and honestly need to push that year considering they are going to let one of the best players in baseball walk. It's all about 2016 kids.

Based on Frisaro's blog comments today, the payroll will be increased to around $75 Million next year. They want to make a run right now. I'm not so sure 2016 should be the goal anymore...

Hechavarria actually is the worst in the league, at his position, by a pretty wide margin.

And according to Fangraphs, Saltalamacchia is the 20th best catcher in baseball. Granted, Saltalamacchia is far and away better than Hechavarria but still not what I would call "acceptable". Being better than a combo of Jeff Mathis and Rob Brantly shouldnt be celebrated, it should be expected.

Teams can possibly win with these types of players, or a black hole at 2B and below average production at 1B, if they only have one of these problems. The Marlins have all of them, they are below to well below average in 4/5ths of their infield, and who knows what Casey McGehee will be next year if they retain him, although his production has seemed to normalize.

Ozuna is a ML player and I am happy with him. I think he will be fine, in the long run, as I said. But he definitely needs to work on his plate discipline and pitch recognition.

I could see this team hanging around by the skin of their teeth next year as they have this year, if they have the same benefit of players playing above their heads for certain lengths of time, but I just cant fathom how they could be a legitimate contender now or in the foreseeable future when they desperately need to upgrade over half of their everyday lineup.

I've already conceided Hech. Just had a positive moment.

Salty has had a dreadful couple of months, his first two months were unsustainable but so were the second two. He's a league average starting catcher, and he's acceptable. Upgrading that position anytime soon will not be easy, or cheap, to do.

Second base is kind of wait and see. It could go in many directions. First base, as I mentioned, is not really a black hole between Jones and Baker as long as they're used properly. That's been happening more and more often, so we should be OK for a while.