Post Game 9/16

Eovaldi's sudden downturn has become another notch in why the Cosart trade was so huge for us. Amazing how well that's turned out for us thus far.

Marisnick as an Astro- .265/.296/.326, 0.6 WAR

Moran as a Hook (Astros AA)- .304/.350/.411

Martes in Astros Rookie Ball- 1 run, 5 hits, 12 strikeouts in 11 innings pitched

Cosart as a Marlin- 2.05 ERA, 3.59 xFIP, 1.2 WAR

Hernandez as a Marlin- horribly mishandled in favor of Donovan "God Damn" Solano

Wates as a Zephyr- .252/.314/.333

The main point here will be Cosart vs. Moran. Marisnick and Hernandez will probably end up with similar WARs over the next few seasons, at least, and Wates will be nothing but a 5th outfielder if he ever plays in the Majors. Martes is a wild card here because he could develop into something, but he has a long way to go. Also, the draft pick is not insignificant. Overall, I don't hate the trade, but it was by no means a landslide in the Marlins' favor. At least not yet.

Ok ok Song, I gotta admit, as I was typing what I wrote I was thinking of how that could be misintrepreted and yes I know exactly what you mean. I guess I just meant that so far this trade has been quite fruitful for the Marlins. Cosart has been more than great and its helped fill in for Jose's absence, has stepped up when Alvarez has had his oblique issues, and has helped to bandage Eovaldi's recent suck. So yes, while the trade is more than just those factors, Cosart so far has been a very nice piece. That is all.

If we trade Eovaldi this offseason, we aren't going to get shit for him. I'd rather hold on to him.

I really disagree. I think Eovaldi will have plenty of value for many reasons.

1. Age/Cost/Service Time

2. Velocity/Stuff

3. Starting Pitcher

4. About 200 IP in 2014

This is not Jacob Turner. Eovaldi is early enough in his career that many teams will want him, and they'll pin their hopes on a "change of scenery" and/or "the great stuff/makeup/durability/etc".

Eovaldi on the open market is probably worth around what Jared Cosart was, honestly. Maybe a tad less because he has more service time, but the circumstances are pretty damn similar.