2014 off-season thread

pollythewog

Pablo Sandoval. Damn.

Let me see if I understand you. We are going to pay 10 million a year. For a guy who plays adequate defense. Who will hit .280 and have an OBP around .330 and have an ISO under .150. Essentially we are paying him to play for the marlins and hoping his BABIP goes up because he is in Marlins park half the time. Is this really a wise bet for 10 million dollar per year?

Assuming Kike Hernandez's hitting is not a fluke. He should be in the lineup. Honestly we should trade Koehler and Deitrich for a 3B/SS who will hit. Not someone who might hit.

Okay but I sorta doubt there's a team out there with a good SPARE 3b/SS thinking "hey we should trade our good infielder for a #5 starter and a 2b who isn't even starting for the worst infield in the majors."

Let me see if I understand you. We are going to pay 10 million a year. For a guy who plays adequate defense. Who will hit .280 and have an OBP around .330 and have an ISO under .150. Essentially we are paying him to play for the marlins and hoping his BABIP goes up because he is in Marlins park half the time. Is this really a wise bet for 10 million dollar per year?

A $10 Mill AAV for Panda would be a gift.

We're not LA/New York/Boston. The Marlins don't have $10 million+ a year to go out and get a slightly above average third baseman in Sandoval when we're already bitching about how we'll have the funds to give Stanton a long term deal in the first place.

I don't want to sign anybody for more than $5 million per year in free agency this upcoming season. Most important things I want to see is getting Stanton a long term deal, along with Yelich and Ozuna under contract well into their free agency years. If possible lock down Eovaldi for a cheaper rate since it feels very likely he's going to bounce back next year.

THAT needs to be the priority. Use the funds we got to lock down the good players we already have. McGehee is fine to go into next year, we can live with Hech because he's here forever, Kike/Dietrich will be alright to survive on, and Salty can't be as bad as he was this year. 1B, and a starting pitcher are the things we need to focus on in free agency. NOT SANDOVAL.

This is the same guy that plays half his games in a humongous ballpark in San Francisco. Size of the ballpark won't bother him.

He'd be an improvement at one of the corners. He's a better defender than McGehee and a better hitter than Jones (I won't even bring up defense on this side).

And yes, Dim, Sandoval.

Oh I'm sure he'll get $12 million a year because GM's are panicky and dumb at times. I just know that it's the BAD general managers that give guys like Sandoval $10+ million a year when they're working on a $50-60 million payroll at best. Oh hey look 18% of our payroll is tied to a 3rd baseman giving us a .730 OPS. That'll DEFINITELY help our chances of making the playoffs? >_>

Some suggestions people come up with on this board are just asinine at times. Makes it hard to have real conversations. Not saying Sandoval is nearly as ridiculous a suggestion as some of the players I've seen talked about on this board, but wanting to turn Sandoval into the team's highest paid player when we know Stanton's getting a blank check and guys like Ozuna/Yelich/Eovaldi/Cosart/Cishek deserve extensions that take them at least two years into their free agent years...That's just a sign of poor thought processing. Is one Pablo Sandoval worth not being able to afford REAL key pieces to a playoff team like Ozuna/Yelich some years down the road? Abso-freaking-lutely not.

This is the same guy that plays half his games in a humongous ballpark in San Francisco. Size of the ballpark won't bother him.

He'd be an improvement at one of the corners. He's a better defender than McGehee and a better hitter than Jones (I won't even bring up defense on this side).

And yes, Dim, Sandoval.

Casey McGehee will likely earn a contract between $3-4 million next year. Even with his terrible second half McGehee still ended the year with a .356 OBP and a .700+ OPS.

Sandoval is not a bad player. He's an above average 3rd baseman that I would like to have on my team over Casey McGehee. But Sandoval is in a free agent year, meaning he's going to get overpaid on the open market to the point of $10-12 million per year for producing a slightly better version of what Casey did for us this year. Sandoval has more power, but Casey got on base more by a considerable margin, and while Sandoval is likely better defensively I don't think the margin is that considerable.

When you pay a player $10+ million a year, he HAS to be a game changer. He has to be so much better than the alternative that you have no choice but to spend that money. That is one of the biggest reasons why even after how bad of a season Saltlamacchia had this year, I would 100% give him that same contract for that same money all over again, as the alternative of going back to Mathis/Brantly was just not viable.

What you're telling me is that Sandoval's value is worth nearly three times what Casey's production would be for us next year. I don't see any way that Sandoval in 2015 is three times the player that McGehee will be. Yes he will be better, but not at 15-20% of our total payroll.

For $10 million a year, I would love Pablo Sandoval. Too bad he's going to make 20.

When you pay a player $10+ million a year, he HAS to be a game changer.

Just throwing it out there, Jason Vargas has a contract with an AAV of $8m. He's a below average pitcher, and made near "game changer" money. $10m is not "game changer" money these days. John Danks, by your definition, is making more than game changer money right now [14.25m], and uh, he kinda sucks.

So, $10m is not game changer money. It's about normal player money nowadays, for around his production. That'd be incredible.

EDIT - just to add, I never said he'd replace McGehee. I'd prefer he replace Jones, put Garrett on the bench and have him play sparingly (and only against RHP). Move McGehee to first (oh no, McGehee doesn't have the power to play first! - save it.), Sandoval at third, and now we have two guys who drove in 70+ this year at the corners. Jones had almost 5x the amount of homers that McGehee had and still drove in 23 less runs.

I can't make excuses for some teams spending money poorly. But if I'm a GM, I don't spend $10+ million unless I'm getting at least Henderson Alvarez/Justin Upton caliber player. The major league market is too plush with undervalued, underpaid talent to be spending $10 million+ per year on the Ricky Nolasco's of the world.

Justin Upton is not equal to Henderson Alvarez. Upton is worth a high level pitcher. Currently alvarez sits at mid level. Upton is an every day outfielder with pop at a premium position defensively. Justin upton should be making 15-20 on the open market. Alvarez is young enough that i guess 10 is fair. But otherwise Alvarez is a bit of an overpay at 10.