Kevin Gregg, however: still awesome.

#3 Retnuhrace

Retnuhrace

Muckdog

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 144 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 04:38 PM

Missed the game, HA had 3 hits?!?!? Were they legit?

#4 Wild Card

Wild Card

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 17,411 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 04:39 PM

Kevin Gregg, however: still awesome.

Hope you're not implying I've ever said this.

#5 dim

dim

President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 9,957 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 04:41 PM

I hated all the trash I got from people here when I suggested Alvarez would be a better long term option than Eovaldi. I understand the skepticism given Eovaldi's stuff is stronger, but I love the control Alvarez has over all of his pitches. Super exciting to see him harnessing everything in his arsenal and putting together what should be an All Star season.

#6 Marlins9703

Marlins9703

GCL Marlin

• Members
    • Pip
    • 6 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 04:42 PM

Hello everyone! Been lurking for a bit and decided to join. I've been to 3 games this season and we lost all 3 (2 this past week!). I must be a bad luck charm.

About the game, great game! Glad to see HA pitch well as always and Salty wake up a bit at the plate. I, like everyone else here, have an extreme dislike towards Kevin Gregg but at least we were able to win despite him. Also, awesome to see us winning the series against a good team like the Cards!

#7 SongInTheAir

SongInTheAir

So it goes.

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 3,338 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 04:45 PM

Hope you're not implying I've ever said this.

Not at all. It was more of a how the hell is Redmond still letting him pitch thing. We're cool, WC.

#8 Wild Card

Wild Card

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 17,411 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 04:48 PM

I hated all the trash I got from people here when I suggested Alvarez would be a better long term option than Eovaldi. I understand the skepticism given Eovaldi's stuff is stronger, but I love the control Alvarez has over all of his pitches. Super exciting to see him harnessing everything in his arsenal and putting together what should be an All Star season.

He was my favorite piece of that trade at the time. Moving from the AL East to the NL East, and Marlins Park, what a difference that can make for a guy with his stuff. You throw that many strikes in those AL East parks and it's really easy to get torched by some good hitters. Couple that change of scenery with the command he's been able to maintain, and you have a big time combination for success.

#9 Wild Card

Wild Card

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 17,411 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 04:50 PM

Not at all. It was more of a how the hell is Redmond still letting him pitch thing. We're cool, WC.

I guess if you're going to let him pitch, do it with a big lead... Glad he didn't come in 1-0 or something. He'll be DFA soon enough.

#10 SongInTheAir

SongInTheAir

So it goes.

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 3,338 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 04:55 PM

I guess if you're going to let him pitch, do it with a big lead... Glad he didn't come in 1-0 or something. He'll be DFA soon enough.

True, but he's been getting the 8th inning and was up warming before the lead got big. I would say Redmond is an old dog, but these aren't even new tricks: ERA in the 7s? Not a set up guy.

#11 pollyvonwog

pollyvonwog

Sun

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 8,238 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 04:55 PM

Hey Spike can you do one of those Godzilla things for WC's opening post please? 

#12 Vince0926

Vince0926

Hammerhead

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 1,601 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 04:56 PM

We gain on Atlanta, ok then!

#13 Larry

Larry

The Head Fish

• Admin
    • 28,928 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 04:56 PM

Hello everyone! Been lurking for a bit and decided to join.

Welcome!

#14 Wild Card

Wild Card

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 17,411 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hey Spike can you do one of those Godzilla things for WC's opening post please? 

Are those not the thoughts of most of our board members? People can't be good, can't get better, etc etc.

#15 dim

dim

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 9,957 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hello everyone! Been lurking for a bit and decided to join. I've been to 3 games this season and we lost all 3 (2 this past week!). I must be a bad luck charm.

About the game, great game! Glad to see HA pitch well as always and Salty wake up a bit at the plate. I, like everyone else here, have an extreme dislike towards Kevin Gregg but at least we were able to win despite him. Also, awesome to see us winning the series against a good team like the Cards!

Welcome! If you have a love for the Marlins, are willing to keep an open mind and contribute whatever you can to the board, then you should fit right in here.

Just a note of warning, new posters take abuse early on when they back up their thoughts without facts, stats, etc... When I first joined in '08 I was attacked for baseless opinions as much as everybody who joins now and it helped me change the way I post and become a more knowledgeable fan. The posters you see on the board today are the ones who can take the back and forth that comes with being a part of this board and roll with it. Some guys on here will resort to name calling and all that s***, but you just gotta say f*** it. There's a lot of good info that comes from this board that you aren't going to find anywhere else on the web. Hope you stick around and most importantly have some fun! This team and this forum is a hell of a lot more fun than last year.

• mystikol87 and Marlins9703 like this

#16 pollyvonwog

pollyvonwog

Sun

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 8,238 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 05:01 PM

Are those not the thoughts of most of our board members? People can't be good, can't get better, etc etc.

1) McGhee can't sustain this

2) No one ever said Salty doesn't have power and the only thing I've mentioned is that you are wrong in saying his power #s are "identical" to last year

3) Now you're making stuff up.

And the fact that you're once again using a one game sample for your little check list and everything

Spike? 

#17 Spike

Spike

Sun

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 8,529 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 05:06 PM

What we learned...

Casey McGehee can not sustain this!

Saltalamacchia does not have power.

Henderson Alvarez is not that good.

godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm-face

• BenderRobot and pollyvonwog like this

#18 Spike

Spike

Sun

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 8,529 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 05:08 PM

godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm-face

• BenderRobot and pollyvonwog like this

#19 Spike

Spike

Sun

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 8,529 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 05:11 PM

1. McGehee really cannot sustain this. He is walking at a rate much higher than his career norm and he has a ridiculously high BABIP.

2. No one said Saltalamacchia doesnt have power, he just doesnt have the kind of power you think he does. He benefited from playing at Fenway for three years. He still doesnt work counts or get on base so at the end of the day he is still a poor hitter.

3. No one ever said Alvarez isnt good, so much as debating where he best fit into the rotation.

My gosh you cannot possibly be this dumb.

#20 dim

dim

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 9,957 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 05:12 PM

First let me point out that McGehee can't sustain what he's currently doing. BUT lets point out that his line drive rates are still pretty damn strong, meaning he's getting damn good contact of the ball and isn't getting all that many "fluke" hits. While his average and clutch hitting stats are likely unsustainable for an entire season, he'll sacrifice some of that and gain some power along the way. He's not a one home run guy, given his 29 homers in Japan and his career prior. He's likely a 10 to 15 home run a season guy now, so some of that contact ability should eventually die out to make way for some doubles (which he has plenty of already) and homers.

Saltalamacchia is having a damn good year. He's not a superstar, and he's playing up to the contract we've given him. He provides the power we didn't have with Mathis/Brantly that we were trotting out last season, and while we downgraded defensively from Mathis to Salty we did gain an actual threat in the everyday lineup. People want to trash Salty and say that we have to ignore the great April he had, but at the same time can't we just say his bad month of June is just as fluky as his great month of April? Long term he's somewhere in the middle of those two numbers. If Salty ends the season with a .750 OPS like he's currently doing, its a huge huge huge huge win. I wish he'd improve defensively, but on the offensive side of the ball he's giving us exactly what I expected and what I hoped.

As for Alvarez, Wild Card has a point in that I specifically remember some people arguing ME in particular about Alvarez not being a long term option for this team. Many of the board wanted to trade him when there was discussion of trading some of our starting pitching depth to gain some offense. The consensus on the board back in April was Eovaldi was the long term 2 and Alvarez was the long term trade bait. I made the point of saying Alvarez's outstanding control and ground ball ability made him a great number 3 and potential 2 in the way that Anibal was for us not to long ago if everything went right for him. I didn't expect his stuff getting THIS good and nobody really anticipated Alvarez being low 2 ERA good, but I was one of the few on the board who truly believed in Alvarez. I'm always willing to admit to the mistakes I've made when trying to project players on this board, but there are others on this board who will play revisionist and try to change the fact that they didn't believe Alvarez was a long term player for this team. WC might say dumb things sometimes (sorry WC), but with regard to Alvarez it really took until Fernandez went down for people to really start buying into him.

• gizmo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

JUGS batting cages