Marlins in talks with James Shields

Jay Ram

I'll pass on James Shields. Really good pitcher but giving a 32 year old pitcher a 5 year deal for a lot of money doesn't sound smart. The Marlins don't need to get a Grade A starting pitcher, they just need somebody who can not get wrecked until Jose comes back, and maybe if they play well enough can knock a Koehler/Hand/Heaney/Desclafani type out of the rotation.

I mean once Jose comes back our rotation looks like...

1. Jose Fernandez

2. Henderson Alvarez

3. Jarred Cosart

4. Nathan Eovaldi

5. Andrew Heaney

Expecting things to even out with injuries, Eovaldi having a bounce back season, Heaney growing into at least a decent #5 pitcher this year, Cosart regressing at least a bit, etc... I would take that starting rotation in a heartbeat no modifications needed. I'd rather this team go and acquire a bat at 1B/2B/SS than spend money on a position we have decent depth at both in the majors and in the minors (once Jose comes back of course). I'm fine with the strategy of just surviving until Jose's healthy.

1. Jose Fernandez

2. Henderson Alvarez

3. Jarred Cosart

4. Nathan Eovaldi

5. Andrew Heaney

Expecting things to even out with injuries, Eovaldi having a bounce back season, Heaney growing into at least a decent #5 pitcher this year, Cosart regressing at least a bit, etc... I would take that starting rotation in a heartbeat no modifications needed. I'd rather this team go and acquire a bat at 1B/2B/SS than spend money on a position we have decent depth at both in the majors and in the minors (once Jose comes back of course). I'm fine with the strategy of just surviving until Jose's healthy.

There are so many ifs and ? marks in that rotation from top to bottom. We need SP help but I agree shields too much $.

1. Jose Fernandez

2. Henderson Alvarez

3. Jarred Cosart

4. Nathan Eovaldi

5. Andrew Heaney

Jose is expected to miss more than three months.

Personally, I'd go after Jason Hammel on a one or two year deal. He pitched well for the Cubs last year and if he comes relatively cheap [i think 2/10 maybe], then he could be a good middle rotation option for a time.

Maybe. Maybe not.

He's not going to be that cheap, but, yes, I'd like to have a guy like Hammel and another pitcher this offseason.

He's not going to be that cheap, but, yes, I'd like to have a guy like Hammel and another pitcher this offseason.

What would you say to giving Josh Johnson an incentive laden one year deal? He'd have to come cheap after not pitching at all in 2013. Like a 1/$2m or something with bonuses at 100, 125, 150, 175 IP. Maybe some strikeout bonuses, an ERA incentive, etc. A vesting option for 2016 if he reaches two of the top goals.

Chances are he ends up getting cut in ST, anyhow, if he struggles.

What would you say to giving Josh Johnson an incentive laden one year deal? He'd have to come cheap after not pitching at all in 2013. Like a 1/$2m or something with bonuses at 100, 125, 150, 175 IP. Maybe some strikeout bonuses, an ERA incentive, etc. A vesting option for 2016 if he reaches two of the top goals.

Chances are he ends up getting cut in ST, anyhow, if he struggles.

I think a team will give him a mlb deal negating your ST theory