Marlins 1b situation

pollythewog

I would like for them trade for Kyle Blanks. Shouldn't cost us much too much to get him. However if they want to make a bigger splash I would call the Dodgers and ask about Adrian Gonzales. Not sure he would be available but with the new management in LA and them try to shed some salaries maybe they will listen.

That's interesting, but I'd rather not add declining 32 year old signed for 20 mill annually until 2019.

I think we shouldn't be impulsive here.

I mean part time 3B job.

As in, Headley needs a day off, basically? I get ya.

Although, in that scenario, I can't help but be reminded of Jorge Cantu. Little different situation, I know, but still would worry me slightly. Cantu played pretty well over at first, but when he had to go and play third after we got Nick Johnson, ehhh not so much.

The Marlins have constantly said they are going to surround Stanton and he took the lower salaries in the first 3 years for a reason. I do not think they are going to stand pat or go with minor fixes.

The problem is, after Laroche went to Chicago there are no really good infield solutions, at least none that are obvious right now, and thus the best possible solution may very well be to just stand pat.

But with the Stanton deal seemingly forcing them to make a "big" move, I'm more than a little afraid that they'll make a completely unnecessary move just for the sake of making a move.

Isn't he going to start for the Red Sox next year? They've got no replacement.

If Hanley plays LF as is being reported, I'm guessing they trade Cespedes. But there's the possibility that Cespedes moves over to RF and Rusney Castillo plays CF. They also have Jackie Bradley Jr. and spare parts like Allan Craig who could play some OF.

Betts could be available and I'd love him for 2B. Actually, I wouldn't mind Allan Craig depending on what we'd have to give up. We could probably buy low on him.

It's still too early, but I agree with those of you who are unwilling to make major trades. We missed out on LaRoche, the best bet might be to upgrade from within.

I still hope this opens up the possibility of Shields for us. We would have one of the best rotations in baseball and it would give Jose Fernandez some extra time.

Unless there is a chance to bring in a major impact player on the cheap, I would hold onto our players.

If Hanley plays LF as is being reported, I'm guessing they trade Cespedes. But there's the possibility that Cespedes moves over to RF and Rusney Castillo plays CF. They also have Jackie Bradley Jr. and spare parts like Allan Craig who could play some OF.

Betts could be available and I'd love him for 2B. Actually, I wouldn't mind Allan Craig depending on what we'd have to give up. We could probably buy low on him.

Betts is exactly the kind of player the Marlins want. A 2B with speed that could hit leadoff. You've got to think that the Marlins are going to propose something. The issue is that other suitors have better pieces to give. If the Red Sox want Hamels, then you've got to think that the Phillies will want to get Betts back.

For what it's worth, I'd definitely give up Heaney for Betts. That probably wouldn't be the Red Sox first choice, but if they can't put a package together for a guy like Hamels, trading for a cost-controlled pitcher like Heaney could make sense for them. Betts would be perfect for us.

As for Allan Craig, he could make sense for us at 1B. He's also the type of guy that the Marlins front office would probably like since the Marlins seem to place a value on RBI's...

I agree with you that he'd fit if it was a buy-low situation. His BABIP was way down last year, which should normalize. However, the rise in K's and the drop in ISO is substantial. I'm not sure if I'd stick him at first if the intention is to contend next year. We can't blow half a season betting on Allen Craig without a legitimate Plan B - which, needless to say, we don't have.