International cricket killed after being hit by a ball

JackRubysDog

You guys will not have heard, but one of Australia's leading cricket players (cricket is a baseball-like game that's a lot less fun to watch), Phil Hughes, has died after being struck in the head by a ball during a domestic game.

The blow compressed an artery, which then split. Blood pulled in Hughes's brain, and doctor's worked on him for two days before he suffered a cerebral haemorrhage and d

I keep thinking about our own super-human slugger. Hughes was only 25, like GS.

Also feel for the guy who bowled the ball. He must be devastated.

I did hear about this, actually. Was pretty saddening.

I'm curious, what is a "domestic game"? Is that like an exhibition, doesn't count?

Back to the story - the video was a little bit scary. I didn't see where the ball hit (later read behind the ear?), but did see him stay standing for a moment before collapsing. Just crazy.

May he rest in peace.

I'm curious, what is a "domestic game" ?

International cricket (like England v Australia) is far bigger in cricket than domestic games, which are league games between competing states or counties (which is what we in England call states, although they are a lot smaller). Each county in England has its own cricket team, but only 18 are deemed big enough to warrant a place in the league. Hardly anyone goes to watch the "domestic" games (and we're talking attendances of less than 100) but the international games are always sold out.

In Australia I think they have seven or eight states in the league, but most of Australia in uninhabited.

International cricket (like England v Australia) is far bigger in cricket than domestic games, which are league games between competing states or counties (which is what we in England call states, although they are a lot smaller). Each county in England has its own cricket team, but only 18 are deemed big enough to warrant a place in the league. Hardly anyone goes to watch the "domestic" games (and we're talking attendances of less than 100) but the international games are always sold out.

In Australia I think they have seven or eight states in the league, but most of Australia in uninhabited.

Oh, so, basically, if the Marlins played the Rockies, that's a "domestic game" then, yeah? Since both are from the US. That makes sense.