Marlins still have interest in Peavy...

This could also hint towards Eovaldi being dealt.

Nah. If Haren retires the rotation becomes

Alvarez

Latos

Cosart

Peavy

Eovaldi

Unless the front office feels confident in Koehler being our #5 to start the season AND feel good with our backup options of Hand/Nicolino/whoever, I'd say we need Eovaldi. Koehler becomes one hell of an insurance policy for any pitchers getting injured/performing poorly while also being incredibly useful in the bullpen until then.

Again, this is all under the assumption that Haren retires, and given the circumstances we shouldn't be expecting him to pitch in Miami even if decides to play again anyway (he'll be traded to the West Coast without a doubt).

This makes me think Haren is either close to a decision, close to being dealt, or is being pushed by the Marlins to make his decision sooner rather than later.

If Peavy is suddenly attracting more interest he won't be a free agent for long. And if our push for him is dependent on Haren he'd better hurry it up because Peavy isn't gonna wait forever once he gets an offer he likes.

If this is Loria's idea of spending after that backloaded Stanton contract, I'm disappointed.

How is it Loria's fault? Paying Peavy anything more than that would be an overpay and FYI, it'd have to be substantially more for him to leave San Fran probably. 2/25 wouldn't do it. We're talking maybe 2/30+. It doesn't make sense to throw money around just to throw it around

If this is Loria's idea of spending after that backloaded Stanton contract, I'm disappointed.

How is it Loria's fault? Paying Peavy anything more than that would be an overpay and FYI, it'd have to be substantially more for him to leave San Fran probably. 2/25 wouldn't do it. We're talking maybe 2/30+. It doesn't make sense to throw money around just to throw it around

it does if you made it a point that money was going to spent on new players. every move that's been made so far has been structured so payroll doesn't increase at all. and they saved a few mil over the next 2 seasons with the Stanton contract.

Loria never absolutely said payroll would increase. He said we would be a more competitive team and for a longer sustained time. Its like if this team had Stanton, Kershaw, King Felix, and Trout and we found a way to make the payroll stay under $70 million people would be upset that the payroll is so low. Who cares what the payroll is?

it does if you made it a point that money was going to spent on new players. every move that's been made so far has been structured so payroll doesn't increase at all. and they saved a few mil over the next 2 seasons with the Stanton contract.

And why is that bad? Does spending more money for the sake of spending money actually equal more wins?

Is Morse being paid with imaginary money?

He tried to sign Headley and Peavy. Paying more than they got would be dumb. I know some people fixate on payroll but it'd be dumb.