Welcome Guest

Navigation

Welcome to MarlinsBaseball.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
  • Loading Countdowns
Photo

Marlins expected to bump patrol to $75MM for 2015

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

Wild Card

Wild Card

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,510 posts

Ya rizzo isn't going anywhere. I just want like the two worst prospects on that list and id still take that and run.

Rizzo is an animal though. Went to my high school too.

It's funny, because I played with/against and watched a lot of the guys from Stoneman Douglas from 06/07, and Rizzo was probably considered the 5th best between him, David Christensen, Joey Hage, Sean Ochinko, and Brandon Holden.

Christensen was the first round pick out of that bunch, and any of us that watched him for years could have told you that was a mistake. That kid had crazy tools but no ability to hit whatsoever.

fish14

fish14

Hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

It's funny, because I played with/against and watched a lot of the guys from Stoneman Douglas from 06/07, and Rizzo was probably considered the 5th best between him, David Christensen, Joey Hage, Sean Ochinko, and Brandon Holden.

Christensen was the first round pick out of that bunch, and any of us that watched him for years could have told you that was a mistake. That kid had crazy tools but no ability to hit whatsoever.

Ya our baseball team, at least when i went, was known for mass steroid use. Probably not Rizzo but ya, we were not a clean team.

Edit- just remembered the kid the marlins picked in the 50th round from douglas like 4 years ago was busted for steroids very shortly after he signed.

Wild Card

Wild Card

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,510 posts

Ya our baseball team, at least when i went, was known for mass steroid use. Probably not Rizzo but ya, we were not a clean team.

I heard that about Hage, but not the others. Ochinko would have been caught somewhere between LSU and pro ball so I doubt he used. Holden was never huge, just a big tall pitcher, I'd be surprised there as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Christensen did, he was rather unimpressive physically and then all of a sudden he was a crazy athlete with a cannon arm and great speed. Eh, jokes on us, he became a millionaire for being terrible.

fish14

fish14

Hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
Back on topic, I'm just doing research on free agents and the 2015 class and its hard to get an accurate account on the free agents but it says Adam Laroche is a free agent too and I think he would be a solid cheaper addition for the lineup.

Then trade Cishek for an infielder and maybe sign a starting pitcher.

Edit- just trying to come up with ways to improve the lineup. Can not go into the year again without a plan for the future at 2b as well as both Mcgehee and Jones still in there.

CoastieMike

CoastieMike

Sun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLong Island
What if we spend some cash and finally land an international prospect, alas from Cuba, because it seems every one of them of recent has panned out to be pretty good ballplayers.
We need help at the middle infield, Jose Miguel Fernandez can be our man. Lots of comparisons to Robbie Cano.

MarlinsLou

MarlinsLou

Bonifaciennes Unite!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Lou, why would we trade Cishek and/or Eovaldi for a young first baseman when our best major league ready bats are all first base candidates?

Because none of them are going to be good? Seriously over valuing the Marlins prospects if anyone thinks Jensen or Canha is going to be a league average first baseman, especially immediately.

It's a dream scenario for the Marlins to turn Cishek (they can replace 65 IP easily and not pay $7 million for that) and take your pick of Eovaldi/Koehler (I suspect the organization wants to keep Alvarez, Heaney, and Cosart, and the Marlins don't need 6-7 SP with upside considering the absolute mess of depth of infielders in this organization) into two young infielders who are just about MLB ready, and they can match with Realmuto and Romero longterm.

And I don't know who said it, but moving Yelich to 1B is idiotic. Leave the outfield alone.
  • pollyvonwog likes this

Spike

Spike

Marlin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,879 posts
That was me fucker. And it was more of a suggestion for if it comes to that and was contingent on getting a different yet contributing bat for LF.
  • Piazza31 likes this

Piazza31

Piazza31

Pr*ck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts

Because none of them are going to be good? Seriously over valuing the Marlins prospects if anyone thinks Jensen or Canha is going to be a league average first baseman, especially immediately.

It's a dream scenario for the Marlins to turn Cishek (they can replace 65 IP easily and not pay $7 million for that) and take your pick of Eovaldi/Koehler (I suspect the organization wants to keep Alvarez, Heaney, and Cosart, and the Marlins don't need 6-7 SP with upside considering the absolute mess of depth of infielders in this organization) into two young infielders who are just about MLB ready, and they can match with Realmuto and Romero longterm.

And I don't know who said it, but moving Yelich to 1B is idiotic. Leave the outfield alone.

Why is Yelich to 1B idiotic when we have no long term 1B and he recently started playing the OF. Only reason he was in the OF was because he was blocked by Sanchez and Morrison at first.

Piazza31

Piazza31

Pr*ck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts

That was me fucker. And it was more of a suggestion for if it comes to that and was contingent on getting a different yet contributing bat for LF.

This, fuckbag. All of this.

Wild Card

Wild Card

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,510 posts

Why is Yelich to 1B idiotic when we have no long term 1B and he recently started playing the OF. Only reason he was in the OF was because he was blocked by Sanchez and Morrison at first.

None of that is true. He didn't recently start playing OF, he has played OF his entire professional career and was drafted with the intent on being an OFer because wasting his speed at 1B is stupid.

He also ranks as like, the second best LFer in the game behind Alex Gordon this year I believe. So that's a good reason to think moving him to first is stupid. Another is that our back up plan in Jake Marisnick is gone.

MarlinsLou

MarlinsLou

Bonifaciennes Unite!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Under no circumstance do you move your potential star player and mess with his head at a relative new position. He hasn't played 1Bin years

BenderRobot

BenderRobot

Marlin

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,326 posts

Under no circumstance do you move your potential star player and mess with his head at a relative new position. He hasn't played 1Bin years

When Marisnick was a possibility in the future outfield, I wanted to move Yelich to first, but now that there's no Marisnick, keep Yelich in left, is what I say.
  • Wild Card likes this

dim

dim

President of the Robert Andino Fan Club.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,447 posts
I've always said and stand by the idea that Stanton will eventually become a 1st baseman to mitigate the chance of injury. Whatever team we trade him to will see him running full speed in the outfield and diving for baseballs thinking to themselves "Why did we just trade top players/prospects, give a $200+ million contract to a guy who has an injury history and throw him out to a position where he could very easily get hurt?"

Yes, Stanton is an above average right fielder, but there's little doubt in my mind in four years he'll be a full time 1st baseman. Yelich's numbers don't match the production you hope from a 1st baseman (but then again, neither do Garrett Jones' this year).

fish14

fish14

Hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
I wanted Stanton at 1b too at the beginning of the year just because he was always so damn injured. Not too sure now but might be willing to because there aren't many 1b out there that we could use and outfielders are always easier to find

I would be completely ok with him at first

MarlinsLou

MarlinsLou

Bonifaciennes Unite!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts
I think you guys are a little cavalier even conceptually thinking of moving Yelich or Stanton out of the OF, just because of Marisnick while he was here or getting some whatever OF because that guy is better than a 1B option. It's not like they are unproven guys now, or bad defensively, and haven't been anywhere else for 4-5 years of pro ball. This needed to be a decision 2-3 years ago, or something like Marisnick going all Kris Bryant in the minors to start the year to force a situation. now it's pretty nuts

Leave them alone, don't move them.

You move McGehee to 1B if you can get a better 3B. That's the sort of positional option they have.
  • Wild Card likes this

BenderRobot

BenderRobot

Marlin

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,326 posts

You move McGehee to 1B if you can get a better 3B. That's the sort of positional option they have.

Pablo Sandoval!

Wild Card

Wild Card

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,510 posts
I would totally be in on Pablo Sandoval. Makes a lot more sense than Victor Martinez, he would give the FO a lot of flexibility moving into next season...

Piazza31

Piazza31

Pr*ck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts
I stand corrected, he was a first baseman- just not recently.

Draft Report: Christian Yelich, HS First Baseman
http://m.mlb.com/vid...080130/v7172555

BenderRobot

BenderRobot

Marlin

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,326 posts

I would totally be in on Pablo Sandoval. Makes a lot more sense than Victor Martinez, he would give the FO a lot of flexibility moving into next season...

And Sandoval isn't too bad of a defender, either.

MarlinsLou

MarlinsLou

Bonifaciennes Unite!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts
I like the idea of Panda, but I don't like the idea of him getting paid, fat, and lazy. He does that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

JUGS batting cages