Welcome Guest

Navigation

Welcome to MarlinsBaseball.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Just imagine...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Mickey Mantis

Mickey Mantis

Hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
This has been going through my mind everyday since the All Star break but just imagine if Loria had actually opened up the check book a bit more and signed a guy like Jose Abreu to bat right behind Stanton...Jesus. And if we had a healthy Jose Fernandez, we would easily be one of the wild card teams. But of course, this is only my imagination talking.

fanofthefish

fanofthefish

The Grinch's Biggest Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts
Its too hard to imagine a Loria that opens his wallet, its not as hard to imagine a Loria that opens his wallet for a season and then immediately slams it shut and trades away the players he opened it for in the first place!
  • wild blue likes this

fish14

fish14

Hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
I would be happy if we start getting into the market for these cuban players already. We were in on Cespedes, Chapman, Abreu and others and not one has failed yet. Plus most of the times these guys are major league ready already.

Even a guy like Alex Guerrero looks incredible in AAA before Olivo ate him.
  • Spike likes this

Erick

Erick

Marlin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,342 posts
We did get Hechavarria.
  • pollyvonwog likes this

fish14

fish14

Hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

We did get Hechavarria.

I know you're joking but I'm talking about signing guys directly out of cuba. The fact that we haven't had one is a little sad.

wild blue

wild blue

Hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Its too hard to imagine a Loria that opens his wallet, its not as hard to imagine a Loria that opens his wallet for a season and then immediately slams it shut and trades away the players he opened it for in the first place!

Couldn't have said it better.... Thats what makes it hard to remain a Marlins fan. It's a vicious circle- fall in love with the players, have a great season, then they're all traded away.

Spike

Spike

Marlin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,787 posts

I would be happy if we start getting into the market for these cuban players already. We were in on Cespedes, Chapman, Abreu and others and not one has failed yet. Plus most of the times these guys are major league ready already.

Even a guy like Alex Guerrero looks incredible in AAA before Olivo ate him.

the only one on your list I would want is abreau. Chapman is a really expensive reliever and cespedes is expensive and not very good
  • palette likes this

SongInTheAir

SongInTheAir

LET'S BASEBALL!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,340 posts

the only one on your list I would want is abreau. Chapman is a really expensive reliever and cespedes is expensive and not very good

I agree. I'd gladly take Abreu but I don't think Cespedes would start over any of our current outfielders.

fish14

fish14

Hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

So you're telling me you wouldn't want him?

Javi Zayas

Javi Zayas

Hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
Loria will have to open his checkbook this offseason. No fan no matter how loyal can go through another firesale. With a few moves this team can be great for years to come. It is time!
  • CyggyMarlin likes this

SilverBullet1929

SilverBullet1929

Zephyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts

Loria will have to open his checkbook this offseason. No fan no matter how loyal can go through another firesale. With a few moves this team can be great for years to come. It is time!

So it's either spend big or have a fire sale? There's no middle ground? Ok then.

fish14

fish14

Hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

So it's either spend big or have a fire sale? There's no middle ground? Ok then.

The Stanton decision is actually going to be a pretty good indicator.

Javi Zayas

Javi Zayas

Hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
Middle ground as in make no moves and try to get better through the farm system?

Piazza31

Piazza31

Pr*ck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

I know you're joking but I'm talking about signing guys directly out of cuba. The fact that we haven't had one is a little sad.

Throw 50mm to a guy fresh off a boat in a new country facing elite competition? Sure why not.

I mean, it's not like it's known these Cubans are future all stars: instead of guys with no position (Abreu), No seasoning (puig), need minor league coaching (chapman) , no plate discipline (cespedes) or just not very impressive (Hechevarria).

All of them have pretty big question marks, why take the gamble of paying a bust more than 20 guys on your roster

fish14

fish14

Hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Throw 50mm to a guy fresh off a boat in a new country facing elite competition? Sure why not.

I mean, it's not like it's known these Cubans are future all stars: instead of guys with no position (Abreu), No seasoning (puig), need minor league coaching (chapman) , no plate discipline (cespedes) or just not very impressive (Hechevarria).

All of them have pretty big question marks, why take the gamble of paying a bust more than 20 guys on your roster

Because if they evaluated the talent correctly they could see that these guys can become very valuable players.

Piazza31

Piazza31

Pr*ck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Because if they evaluated the talent correctly they could see that these guys can become very valuable players.

No one evaluated them correctly. They overvalued them, but did not evaluate correctly.

canada-marlin24

canada-marlin24

Marlin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,163 posts
Didn't they make a very competitive offer of like 50 million?

BenderRobot

BenderRobot

Marlin

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,856 posts

For Abreu? I believe so. Maybe a little more than that.

Piazza31

Piazza31

Pr*ck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Yup, overvalued him. Just because he was Cuban. If he were Panamanian or Mexican with the same skills and same name and apperance with the same resume in the Cuban Leagues and WBC he would have gotten 10mm total as a free agent.

And I like the guy.

BenderRobot

BenderRobot

Marlin

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,856 posts

Yup, overvalued him. Just because he was Cuban. If he were Panamanian or Mexican with the same skills and same name and apperance with the same resume in the Cuban Leagues and WBC he would have gotten 10mm total as a free agent.

And I like the guy.

Well, I know it's after the fact, and there's a ways to go on his contract, but ...

G      PA  AB  R   H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB  SO   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS OPS+  TB
107   462 418 63 127 29  1 31  89  1  0 32 103 .304 .361 .600 .962  164 251

Not exactly overvalued. Granted, White Sox aren't in a playoff position, but, those numbers would be MVP worthy. He'll be taking home Rookie of the Year unanimously.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

JUGS batting cages