Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Just imagine...

74 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

This has been going through my mind everyday since the All Star break but just imagine if Loria had actually opened up the check book a bit more and signed a guy like Jose Abreu to bat right behind Stanton...Jesus. And if we had a healthy Jose Fernandez, we would easily be one of the wild card teams. But of course, this is only my imagination talking.

Posted · Report post

Its too hard to imagine a Loria that opens his wallet, its not as hard to imagine a Loria that opens his wallet for a season and then immediately slams it shut and trades away the players he opened it for in the first place!

Posted · Report post

I would be happy if we start getting into the market for these cuban players already. We were in on Cespedes, Chapman, Abreu and others and not one has failed yet. Plus most of the times these guys are major league ready already.

Even a guy like Alex Guerrero looks incredible in AAA before Olivo ate him.

Posted · Report post

We did get Hechavarria.

Posted · Report post

We did get Hechavarria.

I know you're joking but I'm talking about signing guys directly out of cuba. The fact that we haven't had one is a little sad.

Posted · Report post

Its too hard to imagine a Loria that opens his wallet, its not as hard to imagine a Loria that opens his wallet for a season and then immediately slams it shut and trades away the players he opened it for in the first place!

Couldn't have said it better.... Thats what makes it hard to remain a Marlins fan. It's a vicious circle- fall in love with the players, have a great season, then they're all traded away.

Posted · Report post

I would be happy if we start getting into the market for these cuban players already. We were in on Cespedes, Chapman, Abreu and others and not one has failed yet. Plus most of the times these guys are major league ready already.

Even a guy like Alex Guerrero looks incredible in AAA before Olivo ate him.

the only one on your list I would want is abreau. Chapman is a really expensive reliever and cespedes is expensive and not very good

Posted · Report post

the only one on your list I would want is abreau. Chapman is a really expensive reliever and cespedes is expensive and not very good

I agree. I'd gladly take Abreu but I don't think Cespedes would start over any of our current outfielders.

Posted · Report post

So you're telling me you wouldn't want him?

Posted · Report post

Loria will have to open his checkbook this offseason. No fan no matter how loyal can go through another firesale. With a few moves this team can be great for years to come. It is time!

Posted · Report post

Loria will have to open his checkbook this offseason. No fan no matter how loyal can go through another firesale. With a few moves this team can be great for years to come. It is time!

So it's either spend big or have a fire sale? There's no middle ground? Ok then.

Posted · Report post

So it's either spend big or have a fire sale? There's no middle ground? Ok then.

The Stanton decision is actually going to be a pretty good indicator.

Posted · Report post

Middle ground as in make no moves and try to get better through the farm system?

Posted · Report post

I know you're joking but I'm talking about signing guys directly out of cuba. The fact that we haven't had one is a little sad.

Throw 50mm to a guy fresh off a boat in a new country facing elite competition? Sure why not.

I mean, it's not like it's known these Cubans are future all stars: instead of guys with no position (Abreu), No seasoning (puig), need minor league coaching (chapman) , no plate discipline (cespedes) or just not very impressive (Hechevarria).

All of them have pretty big question marks, why take the gamble of paying a bust more than 20 guys on your roster

Posted · Report post

Throw 50mm to a guy fresh off a boat in a new country facing elite competition? Sure why not.

I mean, it's not like it's known these Cubans are future all stars: instead of guys with no position (Abreu), No seasoning (puig), need minor league coaching (chapman) , no plate discipline (cespedes) or just not very impressive (Hechevarria).

All of them have pretty big question marks, why take the gamble of paying a bust more than 20 guys on your roster

Because if they evaluated the talent correctly they could see that these guys can become very valuable players.