Mike Dunn Agrees to 2-year Deal

(from Fish Bytes)

Left-handed reliever Mike Dunn avoided salary arbitration Sunday by signing a two-year extension with the Marlins for $5.8 million.

The deal calls for Dunn to receive $2.35 million in 2015 and $3.45 million in 2016.

Dunn, 29, the Marlins' lefty workhorse out of the bullpen, has appeared in 282 games for them since coming over from in the 2010 trade with Atlanta for Dan Uggla. Dunn has made 75 relief appearances in each of the past two seasons.

Last season, he went 10-6 with a 3.16 ERA.

Dunn had filed for a 2015 salary figure of $2.6 million while the Marlins had countered with $2.35 million, the figure the reliever will, in fact, receive this coming season with his new contract.

With Dunn and Mat Latos out of the way, the Marlins have only one remaining arbitration case. That is with pitcher David Phelps.

The signing of Dunn breaks a long-standing Marlins internal policy in which they have refused to make deals with players once arbitration figures have been exchanged.

Not that it means much but Dunn is gonna climb up some lists for Marlins pitchers, appearances , holds, etc, he's been here a lifetime in reliever years. 13 years from now we'll say The Faces of the Marlins Franchise are Stanton and Michael Dunn lol.

Seriously though glad to see it's a fair deal, I'm ok with it. Smart guy accepting the Marlins initial arby offer and just locking in an extra year.

I'd rather not have Mike Dunn in the bullpen, but at that money it's really whatever. 3.16 ERA last year doesn't look awful, but I just remember how frustrating he can be at times. Always nice to have a lefty in the 'pen ready to go.

Absolutely. Especially against lefties. Lefties hit 1 point better against him than righties!

I actually hate watching Dunn pitch, but the reality is that he's probably the most underrated player on the team based on what people say about him. He's not a bad reliever and he's actually not bad at all against lefties. He's actually better against lefties than he is against righties so I'm not sure why people continue to say he's better against righties. Even Tommy Hutton and Rich Waltz seem to say it a lot for some reason. 

He's actually been really good the past two years. It's not easy to find a lefty who can get both lefties and righties out. He also improved his peripherals last year, and his year (vulture wins not included) was more impressive when you consider how poorly he started. 

I actually hate watching Dunn pitch, but the reality is that he's probably the most underrated player on the team based on what people say about him. He's not a bad reliever and he's actually not bad at all against lefties. He's actually better against lefties than he is against righties so I'm not sure why people continue to say he's better against righties. Even Tommy Hutton and Rich Waltz seem to say it a lot for some reason. 

He's actually been really good the past two years. It's not easy to find a lefty who can get both lefties and righties out. He also improved his peripherals last year, and his year (vulture wins not included) was more impressive when you consider how poorly he started. 

​Yeah, he's definitely one of those guys who seems like he's awful but then his numbers show that he's actually well above average. I feel like (with absolutely no data to back this up) Dunn has melt downs which are quite memorable, but when he succeeds he isn't a fist pumping, sky pointing guy so we don't remember the good, only the bad.

Like I said, Dunn is one of those guys that the eye test says is a risk anytime you throw him out there, but the stats support him. I think it's really that he has a knack for limiting damage and keeping games from getting out of hand. Always nice to have guys like Dunn in the 'pen to start off an inning like the 7th, but I absolutely hate every time he enters a game with runners already on base.

I'd rather not have Mike Dunn in the bullpen, but at that money it's really whatever. 3.16 ERA last year doesn't look awful, but I just remember how frustrating he can be at times. Always nice to have a lefty in the 'pen ready to go.

​He stranded 35/66 runners last year. Don't mind having him in the pen.