RANT: Get off Red's back

Admin

Its a movearrow-10x10.png nearly every manager makes once the seasonarrow-10x10.png is a couple weeks old, its a move I say no manager makes on Day 1.

​I'd put $5 that says Maddon would make that move.

​Too bad we will never know

He would have. Certain managers don't care about starter labels and player salaries; they just play matchups.

Maddon didn't even start his starting catcher in Game 1 because he wanted his backup to catch Jon Lester.

If Maddon were managing the team, Salty would probably never play against LHP since he's never been good against them even in his one good year.

I don't mind Redmond and I do agree that he gets criticized too much at times, but he tends to disregard platoon splits a lot. He's an old-school, show me your grit and character type of guy who doesn't care much for advanced statistics as is the case with the organization as a whole. It is what it is.

Salty's one good season was thoroughly unsustainable and even the slightest glimpse at his numbers beyond batting average would have told the Marlins that. .372 BABIP for a guy who runs like he's in quicksand? Never going to repeat that. Anyone with a slight analytic mind knew that Salty would regress and that it would be ugly. Even when he was "good", he struck out in 30% of his plate appearances and only walked in 9% of them.

I know this topic is about this year, but last year Red made a lot of questionable moves or lack of. Maybe the Marlins should install a rocking chair in the dugout for McKeon to give some advice to Red when in time of need.

But it all seriousness, no way he would've pinched hit for Salty, he's not ruining the team chemistry within the first few days.

and I did ask if TK was coming back out for the 7th in the game thread, but it's damn if you do damn if you don't for Red, just the nature of the sport and media.

Actually if Red had pinch hit for salty and the game ends up being tied after a double play, I don't think anyone blasts him. Tie game, and even casuals know salty is garbage. It's not like the situation came up in the 3rd inning.

​Incorrect IMO. Pinch hitting for your starting catcher in his first opportunity of the year is the wrong move. If he is not going to be allowed to hit there, stop starting him.

Red is proably being forced to start Salty tbh, due to his terrible contract.

If you PH for Salty in that spot, there is no logical reason he is the starting catcher. And he probably shouldn't be the starting catcher but he IS.

​I think that's terrible logic.

I'm not really into finance or economics so I don't really recall the exact term, but you can't judge something's value based off it's original perceived value. If it's netting you a loss, you cut your losses before you lose more.

You use your players the best way to get a win. Not PH a guy with a career .597 OPS against LHP with a career .868 OPS (Baker) late in a close game with a huge scoring opportunity is terrible decision making. Anything about "starting catcher" is fluff and doesn't mean anything when it comes to wins. Runs do.

​Incorrect IMO. Pinch hitting for your starting catcher in his first opportunity of the year is the wrong move. If he is not going to be allowed to hit there, stop starting him.

​I mean, he should be a platoon starter to begin with. He was with every team before coming here.