Marlins Acquire Chris Reed From Dodgers

Why would you do this?  Dayton was a favorite of mine, was hoping he'd get a shot here soon sometime.  He had really good K numbers at least.  22 walks in 34 minor league innings this season for Reed??!  Why would you do this?  They are so f*cking dumb sometimes.

Why would you do this?  I was hoping Dayton would get a shot here sometime.  He had really good K numbers at least.  22 walks in 34 minor league innings this season for Reed??!  Why would you do this?

More I'm looking into Dayton the more this looks like an asbolute head scratcher. 

FG paragraph on him going into 2015:

10. Chris Reed, LHP 

: Reed also has pedigree as a first rounder out of Stanford in 2011 where he was a reliever, but the Dodgers drafted him to develop him as a starter. While the stuff is there, four years later it looks like Reed’s best fit is in relief and that may happen at some point in 2015. As a starter, Reed sits 91-94 and hits 96 mph with an above average slider but a changeup and command that are often below average.

In relief, scouts think he’s sit 93-96 mph and his slider may play up to plus, so the upside is there to try it and you’d think it would’ve happened last year with the Dodgers bullpen imploding.  The 6’4/195 lefty will get a big league look at some point this year, almost definitely in relief, and if he has some success, he may stick in the big league bullpen for awhile.

this seems like Mark Canha again. 

Keep him throughout his entire minor league career while he does fine at every step, but never give him a call-up.  Then ultimately let him go because why not.

FG paragraph on him going into 2015:

but a changeup and command that are often below average.

well that sounds promising!

how about a 7:1 k/bb ratio so far 30+ innings this season in AAA for Dayton?

I just can't.

MIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNNMIKE DUNN

In defense, Dayton was DFA'd off the 40 man roster and none of the other 29 teams wanted him and he's, I believe, a MILB FA at the end of the year so he's likely gone in a couple months.

But considering our top 3 LH RP right now are Dunn, Hand, and Conley...I don't know why you wouldn't at least see what he's got at the major league level with that kind of track history.

Yeah no idea why they would make this move. I thought Dayton had a real good shot of making it here this year amd definitely be a September call. He's got really good stuff and is terror on lefties. Reed is younger but he just got DFA'D by the Dodgers. If we really wanted him why didn't we get him for free?

WTF? Doesn't reed require a spot on the 40? I am utterly dumbfounded.

he does yes

I mean sure it's waaaay down the totem pole of significance for the team.  But as I always go back to.... when you're the lowest spending team in the league, you gotta be smart even with the small moves. 

We could very well be trading a bunch of pitchers, seems like there'd be spots open soon enough.  Ok on to the next dopey move.