What's new

10 Questions With Joyce Harris

10 Questions with Joyce Harris

Dontrelle's mother, Joyce was nice enough to answer 10 questions for us all. Big thanks to her for doing this. Here are the questions and answers.

MarlinsBaseball.com: When thinking of your son, what is your proudest moment?

Joyce Harris: When I think of Dontrelle my proudest moment was when he graduated fron high school, and of course May 9th 2003 his first day in the major leagues.

MB.com: If Dontrelle was traded, would you continue to keep an eye on the progress of the Florida Marlins?

JH: Yes! the Marlins have become family to me, the staff are now my friends also. Even when it is not baseball season I drop by to see them.

MB.com: At what point did you notice the scouts really starting to pay attention to Dontrelle?

JH: When Dontrelle was in the 10th grade scout would come and talk to me, but I didn't think they were serious

MB.com: As a mother, what's it like for you to see your child on television -- to see him idolized not only for his athletic ability, but even more
for his unique character?

JH: Well everyone knows that I don't watch Dontrelle alot on T.V. because it makes me very nervous listening to the annoucers. I don't want people to idolize him because he is only a human being that loves to play baseball. He know that it is a blessing to be on that field. His character is the Guy family trait.

MB.com: How did it feel to see your son make his major league debut with the Marlins and finally achieve his dream?

JH: The day he was going to pitch I was allowed to walk on the field before anyone was there, I cried it was overwhelming.

MB.com: Seeing as becoming a professional baseball player is not an easily attainable career -- as he was growing up, did you ever try to convince Dontrelle to seek a different career?

JH: Most people don't believe it when i say that I didn't think Dontrelle would make it to the major leagues. I really wanted Dontrelle to go to college and major in sports therapy or business.

MB.com: Have you ever considered a move to Florida?

JH: Well now that I have a beautiful grand baby I would do it for a few months out of the year.

MB.com: What is the best Mother's Day gift Dontrelle has gotten you over the years?

JH: The best mother day gift that his has given is hard to say, but the best gift he has given me so far is a world series pendant that is just like his ring and and on the back it says "I love you mom thanks, Dontrelle" It made me feel like I played in the world series.

MB.com: Did Dontrelle play any other sports while growing up and if so which was his best sport outside of baseball?

JH: Dontrelle did play other sports while growing up, football and basketball. Dontrelle was a great basketball player.

MB.com: What advice do you have for other parents who have children who'd like to become professional baseball players?

JH: The advice I have for parents who have children who'd like to become professional baseball players, is let the kids play the game like it is fun. Don't try and force too much practice on them. If they want to play they will want to practice. And parents, root and encourage every kid on every team it will show your kids how to be good sportsmen.

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
She should press the mute button when she's watching on tv. :)
or the SAP button

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
This is awesome. I can see where Dontrelle gets his great sportsmanship!

FlummoxedLummox

Good work Admin. Did you get to speak to her over the phone or did you email?

Shaq-Man

Muckdog
Reaction score
Great questions, Admin, and thanks a ton, Dontrelle's mom.

Shaq-Man

Muckdog
Reaction score
Awww, she's sweet.
I agree.

She should post on here more. I like her.

From Joyce:

Thank you everyone for you comments i wish i could email all of you back, and thanks for the sound advice about the MUTE Button ;) why didn't I ever think of that. God Bless all of you Go Marlins

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
From Joyce:

Thank you everyone for you comments i wish i could email all of you back, and thanks for the sound advice about the MUTE Button ;) why didn't I ever think of that. God Bless all of you Go Marlins
Aww... I hope she keeps in touch with us :) .

Top Bottom