What's new

29 innings of scoreless baseball!

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
WOW, that's awesome.

JUPITER (FSL) RHP NIC UNGS extended his scoreless streak to 29 innings in the Hammerheads? 3-2 loss in 13 innings to the Daytona Cubs. Ungs, who was selected by the Florida Marlins in the 12th round of the 2001 draft, scattered five hits and struck out a season-high seven batters over six innings, but did not figure in the decision. Between the first and fifth innings, the 23-year-old Iowa native retired 12 straight batters and completed his fifth consecutive scoreless outing in the sixth by inducing a double play to strand a runner in scoring position. Over his last four starts, Ungs has allowed just 15 hits, walked three batters and struck out 22.

*Cabrera over .400?

? Marlins No. 1 prospect Miguel Cabrera had two more hits yesterday to bump his average over .400 and is now 24-for-49 in his last 12 games for Double-A Carolina.

*Will "I can't rap" Smith is on the DL,

? Marlins Double-A outfielder Will Smith was placed on the Double-A disabled list with a sore wrist, and first baseman Pat Magness, who was on the DL with a sore wrist, was activated.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minor...highlights.html

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Cabs is gonna be one amazing MLer

nice to see that on Ungs

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yes - Cabrera appears to be the real deal.

Hutch, Levinski & Ungs form a formidable trio for the Hammerheads.

Looks like Stokes has been struggling in Jupiter - hopefully he gets things going soon.

Does anyone remember the "young Vlad" type outfielder the Marlins signed last year? I can't seem to remember his name. I've looked on all the minor league roster but can't find him. Please help.

Thanks.

:mischief2

CyggyMarlin

Here For The Plan
Reaction score
Cant spell it right, but was it something like Ulysses Powell?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
i checked baseballamerica.com and no sign of him playing anywhere

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
If Cabrera continues to hit like he is....

You would assume a promotion to Triple A in early June if not sooner.

If he has success in Triple A, its not beyond the realm of possibilities to see him get called up in September and depending on where the Marlins are in the race get a few starts to get him acclimated to MLB.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
Why do you want to bring up DW so badly?

The prudent decision would be to let him develop in the minors for this year in Double A, and next year in Triple A.

Then in 2005, you make him a part of your rotation if he continues to thrive.

However, that most likely wont happen.

Unfortunately.

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
Cant spell it right, but was it something like Ulysses Powell?
Thanks Cyggy. That's exactly right.

Anybody know what happened to that guy???

Edcanes - have you heard anything about him lately?

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hey what happened with Chip Ambres? Our top pick a few years ago... I don't hear his name mentioned much.

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ulysses Powel is waiting for the Gulf Coast League to start up in summer after the draft He might go to the Jamestown Jammers of the New York-Penn League for more advance players (college players who are drafted) also starting up in the summer.

Top Bottom