Muckdog
Reaction score
TEN in the last 4

wtf is wrong with this guy ???

:confused

flasportsfan88

Muckdog
Reaction score
Didnt he mention something before the season about how hes capable of 35 homers? I looks like hes trying to hitt everything in the air...

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
there's nothing wrong with him...he's just regressing to the mean

flasportsfan88

Muckdog
Reaction score
there's nothing wrong with him...he's just regressing to the mean

No man i disagree, his swing seems tweaked a little bit...

flasportsfan88

Muckdog
Reaction score
TEN in the last 4

wtf is wrong with this guy ???

:confused
He just isn't as good of a player as some people think.

Uhh, theres a few second baseman in the league who can contribute the way he does...

flasportsfan88

Muckdog
Reaction score
Few less you mean? Of NL 2B he is at the bottom for BA and OBP. Even for the power hitter he tries to be, his SLG this year is below average.
3rd in MLB in rbis
2nd in MLB HRs
2nd in MLB in R
5th in the MLB in hits
4th in Slugging
Ill take a .282 average
... as a rookie

I know we are talking about it this year, but You cant convince anyone hes not one of the better 2b in the league because of his OBP. If you think hell never have a season like his rookie year again thats the only argument you have.

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
He chases crap in the dirt on 2 strike counts
I agree, he also needs to get rid of that waggle.

JonDigital

Muckdog
Reaction score
We do not know if that is a direct cause for his problems. Or do you want him to get rid of it b/c it personally bothers you?

flasportsfan88

Muckdog
Reaction score
We do not know if that is a direct cause for his problems. Or do you want him to get rid of it b/c it personally bothers you?

With alot of guys swinging at balls in the dirt comes with a slump. Usually when theyre not seeing the ball well do to something altered in their swing. Remeber when A gon had those great streaks, he was never swinging at those balls in the dirt, same with Preston, same with D Lee. Im thinking the same with Uggla...

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well, I think he gets to antsy when he is batting. Maybe if he calms everything down (the waggle) he wont be as anxious to swing at everything in sight.

flasportsfan88

Muckdog
Reaction score
Few less you mean? Of NL 2B he is at the bottom for BA and OBP. Even for the power hitter he tries to be, his SLG this year is below average.
3rd in MLB in rbis
2nd in MLB HRs
2nd in MLB in R
5th in the MLB in hits
4th in Slugging
Ill take a .282 average
... as a rookie

I know we are talking about it this year, but You cant convince anyone hes not one of the better 2b in the league because of his OBP. If you think hell never have a season like his rookie year again thats the only argument you have.
As a rookie. And what were his numbers in the latter stages of his rookie year. This sophomore slump was predicted by many it comes as no surprise. He just isn't good enough of a hitter to counteract the adjustments the pitcher's made against him.

This season he is far below average offensively for NL 2B. Why is his first half of 2006 a better representation of his true ability? It's not uncommon for players to wash out after strong starts.

A slump at the end can just as easily be caused by fatigue from his longest year of his life. Its April, guys are working things out, hes been hard to watch at times this year, but hes still up there in some power catigories... If he continues in this form obviously you have a point. I know there are Angel Barroas out there, But ifs based on what we saw 162 games last year i cant agree.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
3rd in MLB in rbis
2nd in MLB HRs
2nd in MLB in R
5th in the MLB in hits
4th in Slugging
Ill take a .282 average
... as a rookie

As a rookie. And what were his numbers in the latter stages of his rookie year. This sophomore slump was predicted by many it comes as no surprise. He just isn't good enough of a hitter to counteract the adjustments the pitcher's made against him.

This season he is far below average offensively for NL 2B. Why is his first half of 2006 a better representation of his true ability? It's not uncommon for players to wash out after strong starts.

A slump at the end can just as easily be caused by fatigue from his longest year of his life. Its April, guys are working things out, hes been hard to watch at times this year, but hes still up there in some power catigories... If he continues in this form obviously you have a point. But ifs based on what we saw 162 games last year i cant agree.

After his torrid start, he cooled off considerably, from post-All-Star break 2006 to now, he's like a .250 hitter. This is Dan Uggla. The league's adjusted, he hasn't.

What exacerbates the problem is that he isn't really a good 2-hole hitter, but whatever.

flasportsfan88

Muckdog
Reaction score
3rd in MLB in rbis
2nd in MLB HRs
2nd in MLB in R
5th in the MLB in hits
4th in Slugging
Ill take a .282 average
... as a rookie

A slump at the end can just as easily be caused by fatigue from his longest year of his life. Its April, guys are working things out, hes been hard to watch at times this year, but hes still up there in some power catigories... If he continues in this form obviously you have a point. But ifs based on what we saw 162 games last year i cant agree.

After his torrid start, he cooled off considerably. This is Dan Uggla. The league's adjusted, he hasn't.

What exacerbates the problem is that he isn't really a good 2-hole hitter, but whatever.

Thats another thing, if Hermida gets it together and becomes a great #2 hitter, then we can drop him down into a spot where its more exceptable to have a lower OBP and Good Slugging... Maybe hes not a prototypical 2nd batter, but thats not what hes expected to be...

AGonzalez11

Muckdog
Reaction score
uggla's problem is simple: he's trying to pull everything.

how often did we see him go the other way last year as compared to this year? alot to very little, if ever. he's gotten caught up in the homer craze. he's still running into one every so often, but is producing very little aside from the occasional bomb. he's on pace for around 35 home runs - but also has a .230 average along with it.

i'd much, MUCH prefer 25 home runs like last year if it meant hitting .300 (like we was most of last year before he went into a tailspin in the last two weeks)

hopefully he gets that fixed up. gonzalez needs to move him out of the two hole. a guy hitting home runs and nothing else should get no where near the 2 spot. drop him down, put alfredo there (who can sacrifice/play smallball if needed) and see if that cures uggla's woes.

ramirez
amezaga
cabrera
jacobs
willingham
uggla
ross
olivo

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I fully expect to see Uggla in this kind of a "sophomore" slump.

I expected worse in April, but hopefully this will be the valley and he will improve as the season goes on and he gets comfortable again.

His defense (doing ok right now) is my main concern, his bat won't give up any runs.

BobbyBowden

Muckdog
Reaction score
Pitchers are finally figuring out not to throw the fastball and keep all stuff low and away. Guy can't lay off it.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
ramirez
amezaga
cabrera
jacobs
willingham
uggla
ross
olivo

I know you're entitled to your opinion, but that lineup is awful.

Reaction score
Uggla is struggling a little bit as those K's indicate, but I think we are making too much out of this. Last April he had the same numbers before he picked it up. WE just have to wait and see him do so this year; if he doesnt, THEN you move him down in the lineup, but not now. Despite his "offensive struggles" we are still in the top 3 offensive teams in the league, and he is contributing to it.

Top Bottom