What's new

6/5 Athletics vs Marlins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Marlins (27-33) vs Athletics (33-24)

6/5 Game time 7:05, Forecast: Scattered Thunderstorms (Low 76, High 85)

Television: FSN
Radio: Sports radio/WQAM 560 AM; WQBA 1140 AM Spanish

On the mound:
vs
Dontrelle Willis vs Ted Lilly
3-1, 3.72 ERA | 3-3, 4.21 ERA

HC's preview :compute The Marlins and A's play the rubber match of a 3-game series at Pro Players Stadium tonight as Dontrelle Willis tries for his third straight victory.

Last night the A's gave starter Tim Hudson a 5-1 lead only to see the Marlins tie the game in the 7th inning, aided by two hit batters and a throwing error by Hudson. Scott Hatteberg drove in the eventual game-winning run with a single off Tim Spooneybarger in the 8th to give Oakland a 6-5 win.

Willis is coming off back-to-back impressive starts, allowing just 1 earned run with 17 strikeouts through 15 innings. "He did an outstanding job," Marlins manager Jack McKeon said after his last outing. "That's two games in a row. The first couple of games he was getting behind, but he's learning, and he's a competitor." He also hit his first career home run in that game. Meanwhile Ted Lilly has struggled this season and is winless in his last three starts.

Notes:
-Willis has struck out 37 batters in 27 innings this season.
-Pudge Rodriguez hasn't homered since May 12th (twenty games). Since then he has only 2 extra-base hits and 3 RBIs.
-Scott Hatteburg is batting .458 with runners in scoring position (22-for-48).
-Brian Banks was hit in the head by a pitch last night, but X-rays proved negative and Banks said he should be fine and able to play Thursday.

pictures c/o sportsline.com

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
Wow! Excellent pre-game piece again. I think D-Dub comes back down to earth today and gives up 3ER in 6IP, but still K's 8. Still a very good outing for any pitcher and our offense gets things going and scores 5 runs. Our bullpen make sit close by giving up a 4th run in the 8th.

Marlins win 5-4 with a HR for A-Gon

:plain

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Josh's prediction :king :

Mark Redman got rocked for the first time this season, giving-up 5 runs in very limited action. The Marlins would later bounce back from a large difference of 5-1 and tie it at 5-5, only to have Tim Spooneybarger throw his worst inning of work in a while.

Tonight, the match-up will be between young phenom pitcher Dontrelle Willis, and young veteran Ted Lilly. On the stats side, Dontrelle has been nothing short of great, as so far in his rookie campeign he has posted a 3-1 record with a 3.72 ERA.

He is coming off two extreamely impressive starts, in which he allowed just one run in 15 innings of duty, while sending 17 batters back to the dugout ashamed. :thumbup

And remember, the first game of this series was a pitching gem by Brad Penny. If Dontrelle can go out and do what he has done his past two games (like hit a 403 ft. HR), then the Marlins will do fine. Which is what I think will happen. :notworthy

7-1 Marlins :w00t

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Mahlins will get the W today behind the play of JuanEnc and DW

I hope Banks is in LF tonight....i have no faith in Allen or Fox

Jrod1

Muckdog
Reaction score
willis goes 7ip 2er 9k's

lilly will pitch a pretty decent game and then fall apart in his last inning

marlins win 4-2

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
-Pudge Rodriguez hasn't homered since May 12th (twenty games). Since then he has only 2 extra-base hits and 3 RBIs.
Why is Pudge still in the #3 hole? He should be batting 8th...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Why is Pudge still in the #3 hole? He should be batting 8th... i think you mean 7th... but Pudge got 2 hits last night i think...he may be coming around

Jrod1

Muckdog
Reaction score
Pudge 7th, Lee 8th :mischief2
thats why you guys arent managers

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
thats why you guys arent managers that's why DLee has such bad RISP stats :mischief2

Jrod1

Muckdog
Reaction score
thats why you guys arent managers that's why DLee has such bad RISP stats :mischief2 if you have power hitters that are slumping, you do not move them down to the 7th and 8th spot.

that will totally kill their confidence and they wont produce for s***.

you gotta keep them up there, cuz if you move them down it shows that you team doesnt believe them and then they'll feel terrible and do even worse.

what about in1997 when gary sheffield had his yer long slump wius and hit .250 for the season, only because he made a run towards the end of the season.

he was mostly hitting in the .220's and .230's the whole season. did leyland ever move him down to the 7th or eight spot? no he didnt

has mckeon ever move him down to the7th or 8th spot? no he hasnt

are they both proven managers that can win? yes the are

and are you a proven managers that can win? no you are not!

so shhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
thats why you guys arent managers Exactly. Why would you ever waste D-Lee's power at the 8 hole? D-Lee will never bat lower than sixth, but should never bat higher than that, either...

Jrod1

Muckdog
Reaction score
thats why you guys arent managers Exactly. Why would you ever waste D-Lee's power at the 8 hole? D-Lee will never bat lower than sixth, but should never bat higher than that, either... thank you for having some sense wild card. you're are only in the 8th grade and you show more brains

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
you're are only in the 8th grade and you show more brains
Hey! I'm a freshman now! :D :p ;)

Jrod1

Muckdog
Reaction score
you're are only in the 8th grade and you show more brains
Hey! I'm a freshman now! :D :p ;) ohhhhhhhh sorry!!!!!

lol, aight you're a freshman that shows more brains

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
you guys have to be kidding me :eek:

when DLee is on, by all means, put him in the 5 hole..... BUT NOT WHEN HE SUCKS....

there is no reason he should be batting ahead of Encarnacion or Sea Bass....NO REASON AT ALL....

and if there is a reason, please tell me.

Jrod1

Muckdog
Reaction score
you guys have to be kidding me :eek:

when DLee is on, by all means, put him in the 5 hole..... BUT NOT WHEN HE SUCKS....

there is no reason he should be batting ahead of Encarnacion or Sea Bass....NO REASON AT ALL....

and if there is a reason, please tell me.
well my reason is that you honestly dont knowwhat you're talking about

gonzalez is doing fine in the 7 hole. why take him out if you have such great production there?

what about a couple of years ago ramp when gonzalez was hitting terrible did you say move gonzalez down to the 9 hole and hit the pitcher 8th?

you just dont move your power hitters to the 7 and 8 hole?

when bagwell had gone 87 at bats without an extra base hit did the astros think of putting him down to the # 7 or 8?

i know that you are going to reply with that bagwell is much better than lee, which by all means is totally true. But the concept is to hit your big boppers high in the order.

jrod7

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
what about a couple of years ago ramp when gonzalez was hitting terrible did you say move gonzalez down to the 9 hole and hit the pitcher 8th?
Tony La Russa did it for a while and it worked... :mischief2

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
JRod, back when Sea Bass sucked, I wanted him in the 8 hole....Not the 2 hole where he was at some time

what dont you understand?.....DLEE IS A POWER HITTER, THAT HITS WHEN WE DONT NEED IT....

and Pudge is a RBI guy, not great power(20hr or so)....he is starting to hit, so I dont mind him in the 3 hole....

DLee cant hit....

Why does DLee deserve to be hitting ahead of Encarnacion and Sea Bass?

and c/o Das Texan....QUESTION.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom