Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...0secs_0219.html

60 seconds with Marlins President David Samson
By Joe Capozzi

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Monday, February 19, 2007

To mark Presidents' Day, staff writer Joe Capozzi spoke with Marlins President David Samson.

Do major-league baseball team presidents get to celebrate Presidents' Day?

Except I don't get the day off. And I'm not dead yet.

Who's your favorite president?

Abraham Lincoln, because he was willing to take a stand and stick to it in the midst of complete bedlam.

You're the only major-league team president who can celebrate finishing the Ironman triathlon competition. What was your time?

Fifteen hours, 36 minutes and 44 seconds.

Can you compare that to anything else that you've done in your life?

No.

Crossing the finish line in Hawaii was a tick better than celebrating a World Series championship in Yankee Stadium.

The most difficult part?

Definitely putting on my sneakers 10 hours into the race after getting off an 8-hour bike ride knowing that I had to run a marathon and absolutely crumbling in my chair saying I couldn't do it.

You even remember crossing the finish line?

Thank God it's on video. I actually remember the medical tent more than crossing the finish line.

How much time did you spend in the medical tent?

Over an hour. IVs, the whole thing.

Why put yourself through that?

Because so few other people will.

Do you get anything for being an Ironman?

You get a finisher's certificate and you get a medal, an incredible medal.

It's hanging on the door to my closet.

Is the medal bigger than your 2003 World Series ring?

The medal is much bigger.

Frankly, I can wear the medal if I tried, but it's more like a full four-knuckler. I told Jeffrey (Loria, Marlins owner), 'You've got a lot of work to do to beat that if we win it again

rxpro

Muckdog
Reaction score
sure glad he knows a lot about other subjects because he sure don't know baseball.....or how to negotiate to get a stadium built....MORON

anotherrealfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
I sure wish Samson would stop being given air time. With the start of ST, Capozzi has nothing better to write about than to massage Samson's ego, which the little pervert loves more than anything.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm OK, as long as the "Ironman" doesn't speak about the Stadium or Cabrera missing Fan Fest

FlummoxedLummox

Crossing the finish line in Hawaii was a tick better than celebrating a World Series championship in Yankee Stadium.
Does no one else have a problem with this statement? This man is supposed to be the head of the entire organization. Perhaps if he cared about the team and its quality as much as he cares about himself and his self-serving antics, then the club would be in a better situation.

PBCMarlinsFan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Does no one else have a problem with this statement? This man is supposed to be the head of the entire organization. Perhaps if he cared about the team and its quality as much as he cares about himself and his self-serving antics, then the club would be in a better situation.

It's just Samson being Samson. What do you expect? Speaking of which, I wonder if he is is going to be entertaining us with his special brand of comedy on the LeBatard radio show again this year. You have the lowdown on that, Capefish?

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
If I ever finished a triatholan myself, I'd value it more than players on a team I help run winning the world series.

PBCMarlinsFan

Muckdog
Reaction score
If I ever finished a triatholan myself, I'd value it more than players on a team I help run winning the world series.

There is nothing necessarily wrong with that, but if you were president of the Marlins would you actually say that to a reporter?

FlummoxedLummox

That's such a double standard, because if a player came anywhere near saying something similar everyone would villify him. My problem with Samson is that he uses his position first and foremost to promote himself. You never hear him promoting the team with such enthusiasm. It feels like he uses his role as Team President as a stepping stone to gain personal attention, rather than to effectively run a Major League Franchise.

PBCMarlinsFan

Muckdog
Reaction score
That's such a double standard, because if a player came anywhere near saying something similar everyone would villify him. My problem with Samson is that he uses his position first and foremost to promote himself. You never hear him promoting the team with such enthusiasm. It feels like he uses his role as Team President as a stepping stone to gain personal attention, rather than to effectively run a Major League Franchise.

:thumbup

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

POTW!

catchoftheday

Muckdog
Reaction score

:blink:

If I was to ever even attempt to join the iron man competition (hopefully I will eventually) I would never say this to a reporter. Keep it to yourself troll

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
I agree with you there, just stating I don't blame for valuing one more. However, he is a douche using his position for personal gain, and the worst part is he only has his position because his mommy banged Loria.

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score

It's just Samson being Samson.aka a man being a complete moron.

FlummoxedLummox

I agree with you there, just stating I don't blame for valuing one more. However, he is a douche using his position for personal gain, and the worst part is he only has his position because his mommy banged Loria.
I agree that finishing an ironman challenge is an incredible feat, and accordingly he has a right to be proud, so I'm not belittling his accomplishment. However, if Samson can't learn that his role as President means a higher allegience to the team than to his personal vanity, then he needs to be removed from the position. Truthfully, this self-aggrandizement wouldn't even be an issue if he were successful and capable in the other aspects of his job. But that right there is the origin of my objection to him. How can he look at the job he's done as President and have any pride in himself? How can he continually put on airs of superiority when he consistently fails to run his part of the business succcessfully? He speaks without thinking and, in the process, alienates more fans than he attracts. He publicly defames people with whom the Marlins must maintain good business relationships -- be them local political figures, managers, or players -- and he makes a team in an untenable financial situation more vulnerable, not less. There is not one aspect of his job performance that warrants the retention of his position, and I'm sick of it.

I will no longer just ignore his behavior as he continues to steer this team into rocky shoal after rocky shoal, and that's why my signature says what it does. We as fans have a voice and if we actually care about the team, then we should let the powers that be know of our disappointment.

Consider this an official announcement of my war against David Samson.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
OMG, that France part almost had me on the floor. Good work, Beetle. :notworthy :notworthy

If you do want to go to war, the Chewbaccastan military is behind you though. (anyone who knows what that is a reference to gets a prize)

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
This is the post of the day, the week, the month and the whole f@#$%^& millenuim

Top Bottom