What's new

60 Seconds with...

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Post has these 60 second interviews with players and since some of them are kinda fun/interesting I decided to post them all in one thread.

60 seconds with Aaron Thompson, a Marlins minor-leaguer
By Joe Capozzi Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Staff writer Joe Capozzi spoke with left-hander Aaron Thompson, a Marlins minor-leaguer

I understand your dog died last season.

Her name was Sadie. She was a yellow lab. I always checked on her because I knew she was getting old. I called and my little brother, who's 7, answered. I was like, 'How is Sadie?' He just said, 'Oh, we put her to sleep.' My mom said she got sick. But what an awful way to find out. Lead me in a little bit. Don't just drop it on me.

You all were close with her?

When she was a puppy she'd gotten really sick and she almost died. So after going through all of that with her, she really became part of the family. Plus, we hunt and she's a hunting dog so we shared that together.

Hard to get over that?

When she died I felt like I lost somebody in my family. So I got on the Internet when we were on the road in Asheville, N.C., looking at pounds and kennels. I saw pictures of all kinds of dogs. One night, in the middle of the night, I couldn't sleep. I kept looking. At 3 in the morning I saw a dog. I woke up, told my roommate, Chris (Volstad), "I'll be back. I'm going to get a dog." He's here in Jupiter right now in my apartment.

What's his name?

Bear. He's a golden shepherd, golden retriever mix.

Does he behave himself while you're away?

Now he does. The first day I got him, you pay $85 to the Humane Society so they can neuter him and give him shots. I got him home, he chewed through my $100 wallet, my computer charger, Chris' laptop charger and $500 worth of stuff the first day we had him. I was about to take him back. He cost me more on the first day than it was to get him.

60 seconds with Randy MessengerThursday, March 08, 2007
Staff writer Joe Capozzi spoke with Marlins reliever Randy Messenger.

Been to the movies lately?

Nope.

So, you haven't even seen 'The Messengers' or 'The Number 23'?

I'm not a movie guy.

But these are two movies with direct connections to you - your name and your uniform number.

Yes, they do. But I'll wait until it comes out on DVD.

You're not at all spooked?

Not spooked. It's just a little odd to have them come out with movies called The Messengers and The Number 23. They even spelled it with all 'e's like my name. They say things happen for a reason. Maybe it's a sign of something.

That good things are in store for you this season?

Maybe I get 45 saves this year. Or ... maybe 23!

Your teammates freaked out by it?

No! Couple of guys asked if I'd seen them. Nobody's seen them yet.

If you made a movie called 'The Messengers,' what would it be about?

There would be a lot of stuff you wouldn't be able to put on film!

Who would play you?

Vince Vaughn

Not even Jim Carrey? He's in '23.'

Jim Carrey's too much of a clown. I can be a clown, too, but not that much.

You superstitious?

There are certain things I do in my routine.

Like?

Certain things.

Do you believe in ghosts?

Yes.

You're dead serious?

I am. I've never seen one, but I just believe in them because they're spirits of the afterworld. Some people come back and do their thing.

Is you locker haunted?

Not that I know of. Anybody in here?

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
Messenger didn't give that great of answers..he seems a little terse.

I love these interivews and stuff where you can get to know the player's life off of the field.

poptart

Muckdog
Reaction score
ha, that interview made me like Messenger more.

Reaction score
Messenger doesn't seem too bright.

Good stuff on Aaron Thompson....why would someone spend $100 on a wallet though?

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hard to get over that?

When she died I felt like I lost somebody in my family. So I got on the Internet when we were on the road in Asheville, N.C., looking at pounds and kennels. I saw pictures of all kinds of dogs. One night, in the middle of the night, I couldn't sleep. I kept looking. At 3 in the morning I saw a dog. I woke up, told my roommate, Chris (Volstad), "I'll be back. I'm going to get a dog." He's here in Jupiter right now in my apartment.

It sounds like he picked up the dog at 3 in the morning. Nice.

soxy fish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hard to get over that?

It sounds like he picked up the dog at 3 in the morning. Nice.

Ha, I'm glad I'm the only one who didn't think that's what he meant. I had to read that over in the paper twice today...

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
I didn't want Messenger as our closer before.

After he said he believes in ghosts I'm even more certain.

:lol

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
I didn't want Messenger as our closer before.

After he said he believes in ghosts I'm even more certain.

:lol

:lol :lol

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Staff writer Joe Capozzi spoke with Marlins left-hander Paul Mildren, who comes from a land down under.

Have you gotten over the death of the Crocodile Hunter?

That was the day I was leaving Carolina to go back to Australia and it was all over the news. It was massive back home, kind of like when Princess Diana died. People were pretty distraught. He (Steve Irwin) was a massive icon for Australia.

You don't think he was bit overrated?

No way. It wasn't an act what he was doing. He was definitely an exuberant and exciting guy who just loved what he was doing on camera.

Ever meet him?

I've never met him, but I've tackled crocodiles. No, I'm kidding! Although a lot of people think that's in my off-season training.

Russell Crowe: Misunderstood?

Without a doubt. He's actually half-New Zealander. So when he does something bad, we don't claim him. And when he does something good, we say he's Australian. Same as Mel Gibson.

Ever surf the Great Barrier Reef?

No. I'm from South Australia so we get a lot of sand breaks. I surf off the York Peninsula.

Sharks?

Lot of sharks. We've got some of the worst shark attacks in Australia. If I hit them, I hit them off with my right hand.

You've been that close?

No, no, no! But I've been close to dolphins. Just this off-season I was surfing and a family of stingrays went underneath me. I was, 'Hey, I'm outta here.' When I see something in the water apart from another person, I get out of there.

Any close encounters with kangaroos?

I've hit a couple with my car.

But they're bigger than dogs!

They're like deer. We don't have big interstates so when you get out in the country there's small roads and no fences. They get attracted to the car lights and come bounding onto the road.

Your teammates always ask you about kangaroos, right?

They get on me, "Did you ride a kangaroo to the stadium? Do you have a koala as a pet?" The other day Logan Kensing actually asked me if could bring him a Tasmanian devil as pet. I've heard them all.

Hanleylicious

Muckdog
Reaction score
Haha, that was a good one.

Paul Mildren has the most ridiculous Austrailian accent- first time I've ever heard him talk was the other week when they played down in Ft. Lauderdale. Seemed like a really personable guy, talking to the fans before the game along the LF line by the bullpen. If you close your eyes and listen to him talk, you would swear the Crocidile Hunter was there. It's that heavy.

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
lol. I can just picture Mildren riding a kangaroo to the stadium..

Top Bottom