What's new

60 years of Flying High

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Attention men, women, and children of all ages.......the circus is back in town!

http://circus.fsu.edu/

Founded in 1947 by Jack Haskin, the Florida State University ?Flying High? Circus is an extra-curricular activity under the Division for Student Affairs. It was and still is an activity for men and women students to participate in jointly. The only requirement to be a member of the FSU Circus is that one must be a degree-seeking student registered at Florida State University.

Rivaling any professional circus, the FSU Circus is primarily an aerial and stage presentation with three rings of spellbinding entertainment for everyone. Unlike professional circuses, ?Flying High? has no animal acts and the students act as their own riggers and sew their own costumes. They have appeared in Europe, Canada, the Bahamas, the West Indies and possibly your hometown. With 18-22 circus acts taught on the ground or in the air, we can find a place for everyone.

A one-semester hour Circus Activities course is offered which includes the basics of juggling, walking the high wire, aerial ballet, and rigging to introduce the Circus through the College of Education/Physical Education department, however, this course is not mandatory. We have many ?walk-ons? with only an interest in becoming involved, without needing the credit hour. The majority of our student performers continue to pursue a career in the discipline from which they graduate. Only a small percentage of our performers seek a professional circus career.

The Florida State University Circus generates its own revenue by hosting shows each April on the FSU campus under its own Big Top circus tent; by directing a summer recreation program at Callaway Gardens, a resort in Georgia; and by performing for various sponsors throughout the southeastern United States. For more information on show times, fees, or bookings, feel free to contact us at (850) 644-4874.

The Florida State University Circus is widely recognized. It was selected as one of the Southeast Tourism Society?s Top 20 Events for 1989,1995, 1997, 1998, 1999 and 2000. A City of Tallahassee proclamation stated: ?Each year the Flying High Circus produces a championship show.? The State of Florida presented a concurrent resolution in 1973 to ??commend the FSU Circus for their achievement in captivating audiences the world over.? In late 1981, Jerry Collins (long time circus owner), donated the Clyde Beatty Cole Bros. Circus to Florida State University citing the University?s long circus tradition and the ?Flying High? Circus as ?the best in the world.? His reason for the gift was ?to benefit people of all ages, to preserve the circus for the children and to help the students at FSU.? The proceeds from the sale of this gift to the operating manager resulted in an endowed Eminent Scholar?s Chair in Public Administration for the FSU Business School.

We invite you to catch a GOLDEN tradition at Florida State University: THE FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY ?FLYING HIGH? CIRCUS ? THE GREATEST COLLEGIATE SHOW ON EARTH!

BTW, with the puchase of the Ringling College, FSU now has a monopoly on circus education at the collegiate level.

GO NOLES!

Mark

Muckdog
Reaction score
You're not being serious, are you?

BeefWillingham

Muckdog
Reaction score
I never went to the Circus when I was there but the impressive thing is, they're all regular students who participate. There is one kid on the video who is an engineering major, at UF the engineering majors dont even leave their rooms, except to masturbate in the shower. It was seemingly always just during baseball season, thats the main reason I never even considered going. I did see a Danny Wardell HR a few years ago clear the street and hit the tent.

Lefty

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ive been meaning to go for the longest time, I suppose I should before I graduate. I've only heard great things about them.

TarHeel324

Muckdog
Reaction score
BTW, with the puchase of the Ringling College, FSU now has a monopoly on circus education at the collegiate level.
WOW what a useless fact

Lefty

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't think people outside of FSU can understand or appreciate the attention Cape is giving to the circus. You just have to see it to comprehend. It's a pretty big aspect of campus entertainment.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
I actually think that is kind of cool, especially since it is done totally by the students.

BeefWillingham

Muckdog
Reaction score
I actually think that is kind of cool, especially since it is done totally by the students.

Exactly, thats the aspect that makes it special

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Word.

If this was at A&M I'd actually consider doing it.

There is an insane ammount of athleticism in some of those things, especially the high wire acts and things with the trapeze and hanging rings.

Its not as if this is 10 students trying to put on a 20 minute show, this seems like a big event with high production values.

Thanks for posting, I didn't even know something like this existed.

wanks1212

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't think people outside of FSU can understand or appreciate the attention Cape is giving to the circus. You just have to see it to comprehend. It's a pretty big aspect of campus entertainment.

i have seen it multiple times

still don't care

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Since when is the circus a sport?
It is a team sport. It is just as much a sport as gymnastics.

Exactly.

I mean what would be over there in right field at an FSU Baseball Game when the other team commits an error if the circus wasn't there?

The Fan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Very cool stuff. However, in my opinion, what seperates this from something even like gymnastics is scoring and competition. Without either of those two elements, I really can't call this a sport as much as just another form of live entertainment.

PhxPhin

Muckdog
Reaction score
agreed - definitely take talent and athleticism, but circus is not sport - just entertainment - I actually enjoy the circus though and am impressed by what they do - kind of neat to have a student one (although I would never waste tuition dollars to major in it)

TarHeel324

Muckdog
Reaction score
Now Ive heard everything

Top Bottom