What's new

A.J. Burnett

Jrod1

Muckdog
Reaction score
Supposably tommy john surgery takes a recovery of 12-18 months. but for some reason, i think a.j. will be back sooner.

Kris Benson from the pirates was back in 8 months.

If a.j. is out over 15 months then we wont see him again until 2005.

do you guys think a.j. will be able to rehab quick enough and be back by opening day 2004?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
i think Benson was out for more than 8 months...

and i think he will have a quicker recovery than most...but atleast 10 months... id say

he cant even pick up a ball for 3-4 months

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
benson also pitched like crap when he first returned.

the marlins will be wise to bring AJ back in the pen like the Cardinals did with Morris, especially if AJ can pitch again during the 2004 season.

Mabdul Doobakus

Muckdog
Reaction score
A 15 month recovery has AJ back by about the All-Star break next year. That's about when I figure we'll see him. Could be a big lift next year.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
When Aj Pitches again in 2004 or 2005 he wont have to much arm strengh and wont have the same velocity. So the pitching coach needs to get his Arm Strengh back in shape and he will be able to pitch better. Every one who had Tommy John surgery hasnt pitch to well there first couple of games. They need to work on control when they recover and need to work on alot of diffrent things, so i think AJ will take about 10-11 Months rehabing while he throws a little bit (Soft catch) With someone then as he progresses he moves into doing About 5 minutes of Bullpen work. SO it will take AJ alot to be back in full shape and when he does, you know what they say about the surgery he got, you start throwing harder! :w00t

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
What you need to do when AJ is recovered, especially if he is able to pitch during next season is this...

First off, no chance in hell is he ready for Opening Day. Erase that thought from your heads now.

Lets say AJ will have a 12 month recovery process. That puts him at May 1 as a Target Date to start throwing.

Start off my building up arm strength in extended Spring Training.

Somewhere around June 1 or so...send him out on a rehab assignment to last until the Break, building up arm strength, ensuring the mechanics are well and all else.

After the break, call AJ back to the big club, but DO NOT put him in the damn rotation. Add him to the bullpen, giving him stretches of 1 inning relief, then slowly building it up to more.....

Do this so that he can get back in the mindset of facing MLB hitters, and is able to do so without the pressures of starting.

Ideally he is ready to return to the rotation, Opening Day 2005.

If AJ starts prior to this date, the Marlins as an organization are probably not making the best of decisions.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
from rotoworld.com
A.J. Burnett underwent Tommy John surgery and will miss the rest of the season.
It's probably about 40/60 whether Burnett will be ready for start of next year. His 2004 could closely mirror Kris Benson's 2002, with Burnett returning in early or mid-May and then spending the rest of the year as a mediocre starter. In 2005, he should be ready to reclaim the top spot in the Florida rotation.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
The potential difference between Benson and Burnett.....

Last year the Pirates were out of contention or close to it when Benson returned.

The Marlins could very well be serious contenders next year.....

hence the main reasons to put AJ in the pen.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
My question is with AJ gone, are they going to stop running those commercials with him knocking the crap out of those bobble heads? I really liked those commercials, too...

1truefan

Muckdog
Reaction score
WC- I saw the commercial last night during the game, so it's still there. I don't know if they'll cut the commercials though.

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Its kind of ridiculous to be mapping out a plan of rehab a day after the surgery since everyone is different. Michael Tejera was back on the mound throwing with greater velocity 12 months after surgery.

Reaction score
With a young top tier pitcher like AJ the only way I see the Marlins bringing him back next year is if they are in contention. If not in contention and they believe he is 100% may see a September callup and get some innings out of the bullpen.

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
He can and will be a dominating pitcher again but even 2005 is pushing it as the time he realizes his full potential, e.g. Kerry Wood

Top Bottom