What's new

A Lefty Veteran Who is Still Available

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
With A.J. going to the DL I think we should consider signing a veteran like Chuck Finley. He is still available and maybe we can sign him to a 1 year deal, like everyone else. Besides that, he can provide a lot of experience to a starting rotation that is only 3 years in the making. When A.J. comes back, if at all this year, I am sure whe can use Finley as a long reliever. Anyways, the guy is 40 years old and would probably extend his playing career by making the transition to long relieve. What do you guys think?

Here is the link to the article, and I include it below: Chuck Finley is Still Available

Return to St. Louis could be in cards for Finley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Jayson Stark
ESPN.com

In case you'd forgotten, there's a left-handed starting pitcher out there who won more games in the second half last season (seven) than Roger Clemens, Al Leiter or Javier Vazquez -- and he's still unemployed.

Chuck Finley, who remains unsigned, has 200 career wins, including 11 last season with Cleveland and St. Louis.

That would be a fellow named Chuck Finley, who is currently taking care of family business but is interested in signing somewhere soon, according to a friend of Finley.

Finley isn't allowed to sign with his previous team, the Cardinals, before May 1, because they offered him arbitration last winter and he declined it. The question many people have been asking, though, is this: If Finley signs with a club other than the Cardinals after May 1, would that team have to give up a first-round draft pick to the Cardinals as compensation?

The answer -- according to Michael Weiner, associate general counsel of the Players Association -- is: It depends.

If Finley signs a MAJOR-LEAGUE contract with another team before the June draft, when that compensation pick would be awarded, then the new club would lose its pick. But if he signs a MINOR-LEAGUE contract with another club before the draft and isn't back in the big leagues before the draft, then there is no compensation. If he signs any kind of contract after the draft, compensation is no longer an issue.

Regardless, the Cardinals -- who still have no left-handers in the rotation -- remain interested. And while Finley would prefer to stay on the West Coast for the sake of his kids, he has told friends that returning to St. Louis is still "a possibility" if nothing more convenient develops.

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well, that you don't know unless you first contact his agent and make an offer first. I think it is worth a shot. Right now we are an ace short. Anyways, we don't lose anything in the process.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
I've heard that he is a lock to sign back with the Cards again. Plus I doubt we'd pay the money he will want.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yea loria wont pay the money he wants plus he is old already. It will be nidce to have him in the rotation but he is a little rusty already. I will take him anyday, he will add a lefty Arm in the rotation but the money has to go.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
If Loria really does want a playoff contender, he will make a trade/signing...

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Like I said the other day....

Finley is not leaving the west coast except for St. Louis.

Money is not an issue.

Next.

MattyMo4Life

Muckdog
Reaction score
Like I said the other day....

Finley is not leaving the west coast except for St. Louis.

Money is not an issue.

Next.
Das Texan is right, Finley has made it clear that he wants to stay on the West Coast. He has said that he would return to St. Louis if it was an option, but that's it. Finley's first choice has always seemed to be the Angels. The Angels offered him a job in the pen, and he refused. Several teams including the Phillies and Mets reportedly made offers over the winter but were rejected. He would be a great addition to the Marlins young staff, but it's not going to happen. Finley seems content to retire, and be with his kids if he can't come back on his terms. Actually, Finley was quoted by a reporter last week, and said that he thinks he'll end up in St. Louis before the season is over. I'm just not sure that we can afford him.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
finley does not need employment for the most part.....

he has played in this game long enough to only go where he wants to go...

if they dont want him, then he is content to hang em up....

its not like he is on the streets holding a sign.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
who cut him?

i dont think he was a cardinal anymore....

last i heard was i think seattle.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well then who else is on the market?
no one

till June

MattyMo4Life

Muckdog
Reaction score
who cut him?

i dont think he was a cardinal anymore....

last i heard was i think seattle.
Jamey Wright signed with the Mariners, but was cut at the end of ST. The Brewers signed him to a minor league deal, and then demoted him to the pen on their triple A team. The Brewers released him from his minor league deal today since they had no interest in bringing him up. I really think he's done... he couldn't even make the Brewers staff.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
No, Hamey Wright is a very talented veteran who could do very well here, and he'll also help the youngsters...

Top Bottom