What's new

A Pair of Rooks struggling early in Year 2

FishFanInPA

Cole Hamels removed his spikes, grabbed his bag, and headed for the car yesterday afternoon at the Naimoli Complex.

He has looked happier.

Hamels, who struggled in his last two Grapefruit League starts, pitched in a minor-league game against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays because he wanted to work on his mechanics. But in 32/3 innings, Hamels allowed four hits, four runs, four walks and a home run. He struck out one.

"I guess the whole point of spring training is to get your work in, but you can't just keep getting work in," said Hamels, who is 0-2 with a 7.00 ERA in three Grapefruit League starts and allowed seven earned runs in his last two starts against big-league teams.

"You finally have to come to a point where you're good to go, and you're ready to pitch continuously," Hamels said. "Getting the reps in and the opportunities with your games and everything, there has to be that point where things are starting to click. I think I'm still trying to find that."

Hamels is scheduled for two more starts this spring: Sunday against the Minnesota Twins at Bright House Networks Field in Clearwater and March 30 against the Boston Red Sox at Citizens Bank Park.

He is scheduled to pitch the second game of the season for the Phillies on April 4 against the Atlanta Braves at Citizens Bank Park, although Phillies manager Charlie Manuel has made nothing official yet. Manuel said he still could shuffle the rotation, although he admitted he wants to split up his lefthanders.

Yesterday, Hamels threw 80 pitches, 46 for strikes. His lack of efficiency upset him most.

Detroit Tigers starter Justin Verlander gave up three runs and five hits in four innings with two walks and four strikeouts in a 3-1 loss to the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Last year's AL rookie of the year has an 8.31 ERA, allowing 12 runs in 13 innings. After pitching 186 innings during the regular season last year, the former Goochland High and Old Dominion standout was told to rest his arm.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
It will mean something when these stats actually matter

Sirspud

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's not that big of a deal. These guys aren't evne truly pitching yet, they are just woking on being ready.

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
It will mean something when these stats actually matter

:thumbup

Also, alot of time pitchers will work on the pitches that need to be developed, and not throw the strongest pitch they offer until it matters.

Example: Scott Olsen throwing mostly change ups this spring.

Mark

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Verlander's been really working on the curve this Spring.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Cole Hamels removed his spikes, grabbed his bag, and headed for the car yesterday afternoon at the Naimoli Complex.

He has looked happier.

Hamels, who struggled in his last two Grapefruit League starts, pitched in a minor-league game against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays because he wanted to work on his mechanics. But in 32/3 innings, Hamels allowed four hits, four runs, four walks and a home run. He struck out one.

"I guess the whole point of spring training is to get your work in, but you can't just keep getting work in," said Hamels, who is 0-2 with a 7.00 ERA in three Grapefruit League starts and allowed seven earned runs in his last two starts against big-league teams.

"You finally have to come to a point where you're good to go, and you're ready to pitch continuously," Hamels said. "Getting the reps in and the opportunities with your games and everything, there has to be that point where things are starting to click. I think I'm still trying to find that."

Hamels is scheduled for two more starts this spring: Sunday against the Minnesota Twins at Bright House Networks Field in Clearwater and March 30 against the Boston Red Sox at Citizens Bank Park.

He is scheduled to pitch the second game of the season for the Phillies on April 4 against the Atlanta Braves at Citizens Bank Park, although Phillies manager Charlie Manuel has made nothing official yet. Manuel said he still could shuffle the rotation, although he admitted he wants to split up his lefthanders.

Yesterday, Hamels threw 80 pitches, 46 for strikes. His lack of efficiency upset him most.

Detroit Tigers starter Justin Verlander gave up three runs and five hits in four innings with two walks and four strikeouts in a 3-1 loss to the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Last year's AL rookie of the year has an 8.31 ERA, allowing 12 runs in 13 innings. After pitching 186 innings during the regular season last year, the former Goochland High and Old Dominion standout was told to rest his arm.
IT'S PRE-SEASON!

Top Bottom