What's new

A Song of Ice and Fire

Lefty

Muckdog
Reaction score
Geroge RR Martin's fantasy comes to life as HBO takes on the project. I've just finished reading the first four installments (there will be 7 in all) and it's one of the most fascinating and well written series I've ever come across.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=18457
HBO has acquired the rights to turn George R.R. Martin's bestselling fantasy series "A Song of Fire and Ice" into a dramatic series to be written and executive produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, reports Variety.

"Fire" is the first TV project for Benioff (Troy) and Weiss (Halo) and will shoot in Europe or New Zealand. Benioff and Weiss will write every episode of each season together save one, which the author (a former TV writer) will script.

The series will begin with the 1996 first book, "A Game of Thrones," and the intention is for each novel (they average 1,000 pages each) to fuel a season's worth of episodes. Martin has nearly finished the fifth installment, but won't complete the seven-book cycle until 2011.

The author will co-executive produce the series along with Management 360's Guymon Casady and Created By's Vince Gerardis.

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
This is the highlight of my year :)

The best Fantasy books ever written, better then brooks, tolkein, jordan, homer, etc etc etc

Martin's works are absolutely stunning and awe inspiring.

EndLine

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have always wanted to read these books. I might actually get around to do it now. I'm not used to reading that many pages.

Lefty

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have always wanted to read these books. I might actually get around to do it now. I'm not used to reading that many pages.
I read the first four in a span of a month. When you get started, you just don't want to stop.

EndLine

Muckdog
Reaction score
I read the first four in a span of a month. When you get started, you just don't want to stop.

Is it reader friendly (like in the range of Harry Potter books)?

I hope that made sense. I don't want to sound dumb but if I want to invest my time in reading an epic fantasy like this one, then I want to know if easy to follow along and stuff. Judging by your reactions, I'm guessing my question has already been answered.

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score

I hope that made sense. I don't want to sound dumb but if I want to invest my time in reading an epic fantasy like this one, then I want to know if easy to follow along and stuff. Judging by your reactions, I'm guessing my question has already been answered.

I have found it very reader friendly. I got into them and got hooked on them back with Thrones came out at first (read his wildcard series good comic book-like novels).

It will take a bit at first to set the table because it is a graphic huge world, but the basic story is easy to follow. Of course then comes into question if you spotted all of the side plots too along the way and when you notice them. It is absolutely amazing the writing within the series of books.

I promise you that you will not regret it.

Lefty

Muckdog
Reaction score

It's a much more complex and mature series. The setting is basically the Middle Ages (with fantasmagorical effects if that makes any sense at all), and the speech is like old English but a little more modern.

Anyway, the first three novels I breezed through without issue and enjoyed every moment. The fourth was almost unbearable because of how slowly it moved (longer chapters, new characters, establishing more background), but was still enjoyable.

All in all, it's not the most reader friendly series, but if you can get yourself in the right mindset it's very addicting literature. Also, the structure of the story is very organized. Each chapter follows one character throughout their ordeals, so it doesn't switch back and forth randomly from setting to setting.

TimeWrecker

Muckdog
Reaction score
lol, i wrote a song a while back called 'Where Frost Meets Flame'

EndLine

Muckdog
Reaction score
I just got through the first cycles of POVs and this is great! I'm really liking the structure so far. They introduced so many characters in the first few pages alone but I'm getting the hang of it.

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
Trust me it is well worth it and it only gets better. :) Wait till the plots start to spin, there is more plots in the book and subplots then the lost writers have done in their entire tv series

:)

Btw you might recognize some of his writing styles if you ever have seen the tv shows Twighlight Zone and beauty and the Beast

Lefty

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ya the influx of characters is a little intimidating at first, but you'll start to connect soon enough. There are family trees in the appendix of the book that helps a lot. Only problem is that they aren't updated 'through' the first book--only from the start of it.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score

The best Fantasy books ever written, better then brooks, tolkein, jordan, homer, etc etc etc

wow, if that's true I need to pick them up immediately.

EndLine

Muckdog
Reaction score

wow, if that's true I need to pick them up immediately.
You definitely should give it a try. I'm well in it right now and there is absolutely no exageration in this thread.

Lefty

Muckdog
Reaction score
When's the next book coming out anyway? I was fairly certain that Martin said near the end of 2006.

Top Bottom