What's new

Affirmative Action

Johnny Reb

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
Well let me try again with another topic that people should have some interest in or at least I would hope so.

Affirmative Action.

Good?

Bad?

Indifferent?

Sometimes good?

Sometimes bad?

This is an issue that has existed for quite a while now. Just recently the Supreme Court ruled on using race as a factor in admissions for law schools. I would provide the link but so few would read it, it is just not worth my time or effort.

So come on, engage in a discussion, broaden your mindset, learn something, form real dynamic views on something based on actual knowledge.

g8trz2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
bad. Why should whites not get jobs/into colleges/etc. because 5 to 10% of the white population in the South in antebellum times owned slaves. Yah, my ancestors fought for the good guys (sorry hehe...the Confederacy), but none were slave owners.

The same goes for reparations. Take it from the movie Barbershop: If black people got reparations, Cadillac would be the #1 dealership in America.

Yah blacks have it tougher than whites...but 2 wrongs dont make a right (only 3 lefts or something).

Bad. It leads to a split itself. Why distinguish people like that? If the whole point is to say a person is a person no matter their skin color -- than why have a policy like this? It only makes racial segregation worse.

MarlinsFans46

Muckdog
Reaction score
I agree. I have seen AA at work when my sister applied for college two years ago - she applied to Williams, as did her former boyfriend who is Brazilian. While my sister was the stronger academic student, she was not accepted and her boyfriend was. The fact was though that the "Brazilian" label was just that - a label - and besides a slight accent he was American as they come. But thankfully the college she ended up going to (Colby College) has been a perfect fit, and my brother and I will be joining her in the fall!

g8trz2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
exactly Admin....

I think its essentially: 2 wrongs dont make a right, yet they are trying to correct the wrongs that happened 150 years ago by creating a new wrong.

Johnny Reb

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
But the point of affirmative action is too make things more equal to all races.

The idea of affirmative action is a good idea.

However, it has never been put into play in a manner fair for all.

Even with affirmative action, are things truly equal? No.

White people cry racism and for good reason, its reverse discrimination.

But there is discrimination in many things in our society.

From insurance rates to job employment and everything in between and then some.

So do we try to make things better...or accept discrimination of some sort, even though the spirit of the Constitution did not call for this.

g8trz2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
like I said, 2 wrongs dont make a right. Because there is discrimination in certain areas of society means we should make more discrimination to balance things out? No. Focus on eliminating all discrimination (which will never happen).

There will always be problems in society. Why create more problems?

P.S. Sweet name Johnny Reb.

Johnny Reb

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
Oh granted I am fully aware that two wrongs do not make a right.

That's what Affirmative Action turns out to be in practice.

In theory Affirmative Action is not something that becomes discrimatory for the Anglo, but instead allows minorities to gain a foothold into arenas not afforded them before.

Essentially the spirit of Affirmative Action allows for minorities to be given the same opportunities as Anglos, due in large to the horrible actions done to mainly African Americans in this nation in the past, not even considering minority races due to their skin color.

The spirit of Affirmative Action is to erase this problem.

however in practice it leads to even more discrimination.

The problem is not Affirmative Action, its the application of Affirmative Action.

PS.....Thanks, I like this name also.

g8trz2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
well, we dont live in a perfect Utopian society. Ideas hardly ever work out as planned. The liberals would like us to believe that ideas like Affirmitive Action, arms reduction, etc. would help the world...but in reality it still causes just as many problems...just different ones.

Johnny Reb

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
And the conservatives would have you believe that bigger government is better government.

There will never be a perfect society. You just strive to create the most perfect society humanely possible.

Johnny Reb

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
and not all liberals believe in arms reductions and affirmative action.

g8trz2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
In fact, many Southern conservatives still believe in the values of states' rights, checks and balances involving both federal and state governments, and the value of local governments. With the south being still a mainly agricultural "country" region, local governments are much more important to them than the federal government.

Johnny Reb

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
many in the deep south live in a world that is some 150 years old. The other agricultural region is the midwest and yet you dont hear them complain constantly about states' rights and other old archaic ideas.

g8trz2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
States rights? Archaic? lol, I'm sorry, I guess the Constitution should not be upheld...its Archaic....same with the Bible for Christians.

Johnny Reb

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
states' rights as many southerners interpreted it is archaic. if the South had its way, slavery would of continuted for at least another 50 years and minorites would have made nowhere near the stides they have made.

g8trz2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
heh! Jefferson Davis said himself that slavery would not have lasted another 10 years had the South won. In fact probably the biggest argument between Confederate leaders regarding slavery would have been how to get rid of slavery: Phase out slowly (so as to let blacks get acclimated with freedom) or to end it abruptly.

I believe Davis wanted it phased out slowly. One should look into his dealings with personal slaves. Treated them very well, and seemed to be expecting an end to slavery.

Top Bottom