What's new

AJ says Marlins withheld elbow info?

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Also Thursday, No. 1 starter A.J. Burnett hinted that Florida management might have withheld information from him about his injured elbow. General manager Admin Beinfest called that ``outrageous'' and ``ridiculous.''

what the heck is going on here?

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ok, here's the Beradino article:

Source: Marlins' Burnett was left in dark

By Mike Berardino
STAFF WRITER
Posted May 2 2003

PHOENIX? What did the Marlins know, and when did they know it?

Those questions bubbled to the surface Thursday after injured Marlins ace A.J. Burnett alleged club management may have suppressed information about a bone spur in his throwing elbow for more than six months last season.

"There's a rumor out there our management had known there was a bone spur in my elbow upon arriving from Montreal, and [manager]Jeff Torborg and [pitching coach] Brad Arnsberg were not told about this," Burnett said in a conference call with reporters. "I'm sure if they were told about this, I'd have been handled totally differently."

A Marlins source said Burnett's scenario was correct. The source said management was aware of a bone spur in the pitcher's elbow but failed to inform him or the on-field staff.

The source offered no explanation for why that would happen.

Owner Jeffrey Loria and the current Marlins management took over in mid-February 2002. Burnett, who underwent reconstructive elbow surgery on Tuesday and will miss the next 12 to 18 months, said he first learned of a bone spur in his elbow after going on the disabled list last August.

Marlins General Manager Admin Beinfest vehemently denied the charge, calling it "among the most outrageous, ridiculous statements and accusations I've ever heard in this game."

Beinfest and Marlins team physician Dr. Dan Kanell said Burnett was not "red-flagged" for any medical concerns upon taking a standard physical exam at the start of spring training in 2002. Kanell stressed a professional athlete would be informed before anyone of a potential physical problem, even before management or the on-field staff.

Both Torborg and Arnsberg have been under fire for the past week since Burnett experienced pain during a start against St. Louis on April 25. Burnett criticized management for placing blame where it doesn't belong.

"You can't point fingers at people that don't know anything," Burnett said, "when you've got people that knew I had something and didn't take an X-ray when I came to spring training [in 2002]. You kind of wonder about that."

Darek Braunecker, Burnett's agent, said he passed along the allegation to his client after hearing it from "multiple baseball sources." Braunecker stressed Torborg and Arnsberg were not among those sources but refused further comment.

A high-ranking official from the previous Marlins regime denied any knowledge of a bone spur in Burnett's arm. The official said if that had been the case, the pitcher would have been informed and special treatment would have been authorized.

A source close to Burnett said the pitcher was "gravely concerned" by the allegation but no one from the Burnett camp had talked to Marlins officials as of Thursday night. As for the potential for legal action, the source said it was too early to contemplate until more facts could be established.

According to Kanell, about 30 percent of all major league pitchers have spurs on their elbows, shoulders or other parts of their throwing arms. A spur isn't necessarily considered a problem, he said, depending on its size and location.

Kanell said a bone spur can be an "irritant" to the ulnar collateral ligament, of which Burnett suffered a complete tear, but said it's unclear whether it could cause more serious damage.

"As far as leading directly to the tear," Kanell said, "it depends on the size of the bone spur and other factors."

Marlins trainer Sean Cunningham declined comment through a club spokesman. Arnsberg, who has not spoken to the media in nearly a month, also refused comment.

Torborg said August was the first time he heard of any bone spurs in Burnett's elbow. Speaking hypothetically, Torborg said he would greatly alter usage of any pitcher with such an ailment.

"Oh, a whole lot different," Torborg said. "Sure. If you thought somebody had a bone spur, you'd absolutely be on top of it. ... If we had any idea A.J. had a bone spur, he never would have taken the number of pitches he was taking. Never."

Burnett threw 120 or more pitches in 10 of his 27 starts last year, but he said he had no problem with the way he was used.

"I point no fingers," he said. "Brad Arnsberg and Jeff Torborg are very intelligent individuals, and they did the right thing. I'd pitch for them any day."

Burnett's camp also was upset with the Marlins for their portrayal of the ligament damage in the pitcher's elbow. Cunningham has said repeatedly the damage was "old," possibly dating to last August.

Braunecker said Dr. James Andrews told the pitcher the damage was more recent, with the major part of the tear occurring as recently as the April 25 start.

"I can't imagine why they would [say] such a thing, for their own purpose if nothing else," Braunecker said. "To me that makes them look absolutely asinine. Dr. Andrews point blank told us the injury was fresh."

Kanell corroborated that version Thursday, saying a "fresh" injury typically gives the pitcher a better chance at making a rapid recovery.

Copyright ? 2003, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I really, truly hope that this isnt true.....(that management knew about the bone damage)

:banghead :confused :unsure : :eek: :( :angry

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
I can't see any possible reason for it. How would it work in their favor to hide it? Even besides the obvious points about wanting to keep your pitchers healthy, it would've helped when negotiating contracts and arbitration too. Wonder who this "Marlins source" is...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Wonder who this "Marlins source" is...
hopefully just a Loria hater....

maybe Cliff Floyd or the old Billy the Marlin...

this definitely doesnt make our team or front office look any better..... :angry

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
My question is... what the hell is AJ doing alerting the press?!? He's making management look horrible on what he's saying and no one has any idea who the hell is that source (Dan LeRetard? :mischief2 ). Hasn't he realized what's the press? If he keeps making these ridiculous things and saying it to the press.. best thing is a one-way trip out of South Florida (or basicly.. release him).

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
The bottomline is AJ knows AJ. If he feels pain they say something your a pitcher your arm is your meal ticket. Your not an everyday player that go out there and play in pain. I believe, he's frustrated and wants to put the blame somewhere. He knows the easiest way to get back at ownership is to blame them and in this town they'll eat it up. They'll trash ownership all the way down to the team on the field. Now I know he still hold a grudge over not getting a long term deal from ownership but he's got to stop this he's only hurting himself. I'm afraid this will turn ugly before it turns good.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
coudl it be that aj is still pissed that the marlins refused to offer him a multiyear contract?????

was this the reason for that???

think about it from aj's perspective and consider all things in the past.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
AJ needs to shut his mouth and stop going to the press....

i know he is mad but grow up

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
i love a good scandal.

what if its true?

put yourself in aj's shoes.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
if it's true..

that's one of the worst things i have ever heard in my life....

why would they risk AJ and his future....?

no point

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
if this is true.....

Heads will roll all over this organization

Top Bottom