What's new

An optimistic look at CF

Bucklin12

Muckdog
Reaction score
I say this is an optimistic look at centerfield... but maybe I am just feeling good after an excellent game tonight.

With Hermida back, it seems that filling this whole would do more for the Marlins than I first thought. I mean I would love to see De Aza succeed, but I believe after about 50-70 ABs, the Marlins will be looking at other options and we have some good ones.

There has been a strong push on Chad Hermansen lately who has been stellar at AAA ball this season. He is an older guy (30 years old), but has about 500 major league AB's under his belt (none of which were very good, he hit .195 in the majors), but he has been very efficient as of late. Early in his career he was considered a stud, as he receive all-star nods at every level including some other awards.

Caution: Last time he hit the mess out of the ball in AAA ('03), he was brought up to fill a hole for the Dodgers, and did absolutely horrid in 11 games (.160/.222/.200)

Brett Carrol is another guy who has been hitting extremely well out of Alb. He has never shown a whole lot of promise in the minors, but he was on offensive stud in college. He is only 25, so maybe he is starting to mature as a ball player. We should probably allow him.

The most consistent and pedigreed choice would be Dante Brinkley who was brought up to Carolina this year. He has done extremely well, and is reverting back to his old numbers after he struggled in '06. He has performed well every year in college and in the minors (except for last year, which was the first year we owned him. He was sent in the Lo Duca trade). He has .329 on the year, which is definitely above his norm, but not by all that much.

Another excellent young choice is John Raynor. He still needs some time in the minors as well considering he is only 23. His OPS the last 2 years of college was 1037. Yeah. He played very well last year at Jamestown, and has been blistering this year. .342 blistering. He could see a call up to Jupiter soon.

This guy needs a couple years, but watch out for Greg Burns. The kid is by far the best athlete in our system, and he has been heating up since the middle of April. He could see a promtion out of Greensboro very soon. If nothing else, he could be good trade material, since his tools are very much on the plus side.

Like I said, I hope De Aza pans out, as he is probably the best choice right now, but we are much deeper in the OF than most people think.

Bucklin12

Muckdog
Reaction score
Not now, none of them are.

I'm talking about the future years of the Marlins organization.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
well you missed Scott Cousins...

but anyway, I'm thinking Brett Carroll makes his major league debut sometime around the All Star Break if he keeps up his hot hitting

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Wouldnt Hickman be a possible option in CF in the future?
sure, throw him in there too

Bucklin12

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know your a Scott Cousins fan, Ramp. And I like the kid. I'm just waiting to see some of the stuff I know he can do here in the minors. He was a monster at San Francisco, plus he has his pitching backgrounf which is interesting, if nothing more.

He has been hitting well as of late, and I absolutely love his OBP potential. He's got a fantastic eye, and that's something so important to already possess in the minors, as many players never get that ability. I think he actually had 2 walks tonight, and single too.

EDIT: You think Carroll could be up that soon? I guess if De Aza is really floundering, what else can we do.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
no doubt in my mind... I thought Carroll was going to get a chance to make the club out of ST, but he didn't get enough looks in the games

Top Bottom