What's new

And our starting CF is.......

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Are you upset we are starting De Aza or are you upset we haven't traded for a "legit" CF?
in my case, it's mostly the legit CF part

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Wow, I'm pleasantly surprised. I hope they're not rushing Aza but he really stepped up this spring & made an impression so maybe he's ready for the job.

Surprised they sent Reed down though, figured he'd be a 5th outfielder at least.

So let's see, Hammer-Aza-Borchard in the OF, Ross & Gall on the bench and one goes down when Hermida comes back I guess?
Cody may not be around much longer

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
I hate it and I'll tell you why:

1) This is just too much too soon for De Aza. For every Dan Uggla story, there's a Logan Kensing head-case that rushing will create.

2) This means we're committed to De Aza for at least a year...at least. I find it slightly nauseating that we can say, with a straight face, that he's our future in center-field.

I don't like the fact that it seems we've made our bed with De Aza. I was hoping against all hope that we'd just bite the bullet and trade for a center-fielder, maybe pull Tampa's head out of it's ass or the White Sox or Mariners, but now we're here, and this is going to be the status quo going forward.

Terrible terrible decision (and this has nothing to do with De Aza...I'm actually glad to see him get a chance, but the Marlins organizational history suggests that this is a bad move for the team).

Hmm. Don't understand the doom and gloom here. And can't understand your logic either.

As you said "De Aza is not our CF for the future". . . why do you care if this experiment fails? Sanchez didn't cut it, and we know what we can get out of Reed (which is not much).

Are you upset we are starting De Aza or are you upset we haven't traded for a "legit" CF?

Because Beinfest is glacial when addressing an error he made.

Essentially, it's either you believe De Aza's 2007 is going to be gang-busters, or terrible. Due to the "rush factor" I'm more inclined to believe his '07 will be terrible.

Then, knowing Beinfest, we're going to have De Aza for most if not all of the '07 season in center.

Ergo, I believe we're going to have another abysmal output from centerfield.

So, to conclude, I'd say my frustration is that we didn't get a "legit" center-fielder, and that judging by past comments made about De Aza, we're not going to be getting one any time soon either.

Look, I'll be the happiest person in the world if De Aza succeeds or if Beinfest has a quick leash with him, but if I were forced to wager, I'd bet heavily against both.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score

Asked not at all facetiously, what was the trade we didn't do that we could have done to acquire a "legit" CFer? Without disclosing anything you can't was there one or are you just frustrated nothing came to fruition? And I'm not talking about any of the stupid Upton for fillintheblank starting pitcher (not to mention throwing in a prospect too) or Rios for Olsen or any of those make good reading but lacking common sense deals.

You need two willing teams to make a trade, I'm guessing lots of proposals went back and forth with lots of teams, but was there one you think we could of/had every chance to pull the trigger on that has you so agitated?

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score

1) This is just too much too soon for De Aza. For every Dan Uggla story, there's a Logan Kensing head-case that rushing will create.

2) This means we're committed to De Aza for at least a year...at least. I find it slightly nauseating that we can say, with a straight face, that he's our future in center-field.

I don't like the fact that it seems we've made our bed with De Aza. I was hoping against all hope that we'd just bite the bullet and trade for a center-fielder, maybe pull Tampa's head out of it's ass or the White Sox or Mariners, but now we're here, and this is going to be the status quo going forward.

Terrible terrible decision (and this has nothing to do with De Aza...I'm actually glad to see him get a chance, but the Marlins organizational history suggests that this is a bad move for the team).
Swift decisions can't be made based on "history" but on an individual basis in relation to the whole team perspective. I actually am very content with the chance they are giving the kid. He has everything we are looking for from our CF. I was surprised in the sense he would be sent down only for more 'seasoning" I love the way the kid plays the game. It is finally a decision with some cojones! I hope it works out and he has a fine season

I would be happy with .250 AVG 25-30 SBs 80-85 runs out of the 8th spot

fauowls44

Muckdog
Reaction score

Swift decisions can't be made based on "history" but on an individual basis in relation to the whole team perspective. I actually am very content with the chance they are giving the kid. He has everything we are looking for from our CF. I was surprised in the sense he would be sent down only for more 'seasoning" I love the way the kid plays the game. It is finally a decision with some cojones! I hope it works out and he has a fine season

I would be happy with .250 AVG 25-30 SBs 80-85 runs out of the 8th spot

I agree. It would have been very easy to hand the job to Reed. I'd much rather take the risk on finding something special. If it works, great, we found a long term answer in CF. If it doesn't work, we still need to find a CF for the future, but we'd be in that same position even if Reed had won the job.

mafatumatt

Muckdog
Reaction score
im gonna laugh if de aza is OMGNunez after the spring.

hope he does well though, i want to be competing in october this year and to do so you need to have a pretty well-rounded team.
(and don't flame me for saying i want to compete in october.)

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score

Asked not at all facetiously, what was the trade we didn't do that we could have done to acquire a "legit" CFer? Without disclosing anything you can't was there one or are you just frustrated nothing came to fruition? And I'm not talking about any of the stupid Upton for fillintheblank starting pitcher (not to mention throwing in a prospect too) or Rios for Olsen or any of those make good reading but lacking common sense deals.

You need two willing teams to make a trade, I'm guessing lots of proposals went back and forth with lots of teams, but was there one you think we could of/had every chance to pull the trigger on that has you so agitated?
I know there were deals on the table, but the Marlins just didn't want to give up any of their arms. It really annoys me that we just hoard are arms like no other. I felt like we needed a CFer to take this team to the next level. A blue chip CF and to not give up 2-3-4 arms with great upside agitates me. We are the first or second most stacked farm in the entire league. Hell our Single A starting rotation is an all prospect team.

It seems like every other team can go out and get what they need. For some reason, we couldn't. You say it takes two teams willing to make a trade, and you're 100% right about that. Unfortunately, this team showed a lack of cojones this offseason. Go out and trade a Johnson or a West or a Hernandez for a Granderson or Milledge or Young or Upton. I'm not saying those things were discussed, and I'm not saying they weren't. But with the team really needing one thing(I have felt all along the bullpen will be improved), we totally dropped the ball.

MRMarlin93

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm happy he got the job. I can't wait to follow him this season.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
I guess he earned in spring more than the other candidates(like that was really much of a challenge :rolleyes: ), but I don't think he's ready, and I think rushing him will hurt both his career and the Marlin team this year.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Uggla was just on 790 raving about De Aza, which one might say is to be expected from a teammate, but he said (quoting as close as I can get) "...alot of people weren't aware of him before this season but will be by the end of the season, I'll guarantee you that..."

He also went on and on about is middle infield partner and how Ramirez is destined for greatness.

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score
There's no way in hell De Aza is ready yet. But he does have more of an upside than Reed so I guess you might as well take the risk.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
There's no way in hell De Aza is ready yet.

Oh yea Miss Cleo?

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score

Oh yea Miss Cleo?

:lol

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score

Oh yea Miss Cleo?
CALL ME NOW!

Beastie

Muckdog
Reaction score
I just dont get why people say he isnt ready. It's not like hes jumping from Low A to the pros. And everyone knew that spring training and all the workouts and practices were going to determine the starting CFer.

De Aza out performed all our other candidates. He deserved the spot imo.

jsprt05

Muckdog
Reaction score
Bat De Aza leadoff

If your gonna start him, you might as well give him a chance to do well in front of Hanley instead of rotting away in the 8th spot

farmer_fran

Muckdog
Reaction score
Bat De Aza leadoff

If your gonna start him, you might as well give him a chance to do well in front of Hanley instead of rotting away in the 8th spot
no

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Bat De Aza leadoff

Good lord no.

jsprt05

Muckdog
Reaction score
What is batting him 8th going to accomplish??

Theres already questions about him being ready or not, having protection from the pitcher will only stunt the growth that needs to be done

Top Bottom