What's new

And you wonder why Ricky Nolasco isn't being offered...

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Marlins' Sanchez feels discomfort
By Barry Jackson and Clark Spencer

McClatchy Newspapers

(MCT)

MIAMI - The Marlins received a scare recently when pitcher Anibal Sanchez experienced discomfort in his right (throwing) shoulder and underwent a magnetic resonance imaging exam, according to an official close to the situation.

The MRI results are not believed to have indicated anything serious, but the situation bears monitoring heading into spring training. Sanchez felt discomfort while throwing in offseason conditioning in Venezuela.

Sanchez, called up in June, pitched a no-hitter Sept. 6 against Arizona and finished 10-3 with a 2.83 ERA last season.

He is plugged into the Marlins' rotation for this season along with Dontrelle Willis, Josh Johnson and Scott Olsen. Ricky Nolasco, the likely fifth starter, could be shifted to the closer role if the team is unable to strike a deal to acquire Giants closer Armando Benitez.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ts/16538236.htm

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Damn that would suck if Sanchez wasn't healthy to start the season. I really believe he is our Ace next season

PBCMarlinsFan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Marlins' Sanchez feels discomfort
By Barry Jackson and Clark Spencer

McClatchy Newspapers

(MCT)

MIAMI - The Marlins received a scare recently when pitcher Anibal Sanchez experienced discomfort in his right (throwing) shoulder and underwent a magnetic resonance imaging exam, according to an official close to the situation.

The MRI results are not believed to have indicated anything serious, but the situation bears monitoring heading into spring training. Sanchez felt discomfort while throwing in offseason conditioning in Venezuela.

Sanchez, called up in June, pitched a no-hitter Sept. 6 against Arizona and finished 10-3 with a 2.83 ERA last season.

He is plugged into the Marlins' rotation for this season along with Dontrelle Willis, Josh Johnson and Scott Olsen. Ricky Nolasco, the likely fifth starter, could be shifted to the closer role if the team is unable to strike a deal to acquire Giants closer Armando Benitez.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ts/16538236.htm

Good to see it is nothing serious. I worry about Sanchez and Olsen this year after the huge new workload they took on in 2006. But I don't think that is a reason not to deal Nolasco (or the reason the Marlins haven't dealt him yet).

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't either PBC, at least the exclusive reason, but it has to be one of the factors the front office considers in weighing the relative value of any trade. Without Nolasco (if he were traded) and Mitre, any starting rotation problem escalates from manageable to significant. I actually, as I have all off-season, they are in no hurry to move any of them because their relative value will escalate so dramatically with a second year of pitching under their belts.

PBCMarlinsFan

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't either PBC, at least the exclusive reason, but it has to be one of the factors the front office considers in weighing the relative value of any trade. Without Nolasco (if he were traded) and Mitre, any starting rotation problem escalates from manageable to significant. I actually, as I have all off-season, they are in no hurry to more any of them because their relative value will escalate so dramatically with a second year of pitching under their belts.

For the big four, I would agree. All of them on balance will increase their value. Nolasco is more of a crapshoot. It looks like the Marlins are going to make that gamble.

japerez86

Muckdog
Reaction score
with the plethora of young arms in the organization... a tiny scare wouldnt preclude Beinfest from making a significant addition to the roster by trading Nolasco. I agree sanchez is as significant to success as the rest of the young guns, but slight shoulder discomfort should not bar any trades. That would be a weak move and show lack of depth... (remember we also need to show that the other prospects are mlb ready or close)
:batman

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
Sanchez only had about half of the season workload as the other starters, since he was only there for about 1/2 a season.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think this is more the reason Dontrelle Willis isn't being shopped than Ricky Nolasco, but whatever...

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Sanchez only had about half of the season workload as the other starters, since he was only there for about 1/2 a season.
Because innings thrown in the minor leagues aren't stressful on a young pitchers arm? Here are three year workload trends

Dontrelle 197-236-223
Olsen 136-100-186
Anibal 76-137-200
Johnson 114-140-169

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
"MarlinsLou said:
"FutureGM said:
Because innings thrown in the minor leagues aren't stressful on a young pitchers arm? Here are three year workload trends

Dontrelle 197-236-223
Olsen 136-100-186
Anibal 76-137-200
Johnson 114-140-169

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
"MarlinsLou said:
"FutureGM said:

Dontrelle 197-236-223
Olsen 136-100-186
Anibal 76-137-200
Johnson 114-140-169

champkind

Muckdog
Reaction score
This is the reality of developing young pitchers. It's why historically we will be lucky if we get two long term starters out of Anibel, Olsen, JJ, and Nolasco. The same historical probability suggests we will be lucky if one ace emerges out of our young minor leaguers. And this is all the more reason to appreciate Dontrelle- he of the career sub 4.00 era and the multiple 200 inning seasons without an injury.

Not trying to be a pessimist but this is the business we have chosen.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
If Sanchez ccouldn't start the season, I wouldn't be worried. In fact, that would give us the opportunity to showcase ANOTHER arm. I think given the chance, Pinto would really step up. A big, hard-throwing lefty could bring us in anything we need if he performs.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
This is the reality of developing young pitchers. It's why historically we will be lucky if we get two long term starters out of Anibel, Olsen, JJ, and Nolasco. The same historical probability suggests we will be lucky if one ace emerges out of our young minor leaguers. And this is all the more reason to appreciate Dontrelle- he of the career sub 4.00 era and the multiple 200 inning seasons without an injury.

Yup. That's why Dontrelle is so valuable.

Big_Rob

Muckdog
Reaction score
If Sanchez ccouldn't start the season, I wouldn't be worried. In fact, that would give us the opportunity to showcase ANOTHER arm. I think given the chance, Pinto would really step up. A big, hard-throwing lefty could bring us in anything we need if he performs.

Pinto has control issues that won't ever go away. He walks entirely too many guys to be effective long term.

402 BBs in 855.1 career IP. The rates stay pretty level across the board prior to skyrocketing last year to 8.19 BB/9 in MLB action.

He does have some nasty stuff, but I think the walk rates render it ineffective long term as a starter.

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score

Yup. That's why Dontrelle is so valuable.
Yup, that and his unique, exciting, refreshing way of playing the GAME.
He's not being traded. The FO hasn't thought of shopping him. And they are right.
Not that this won't start another trade Willis thread to appear spontaneously every 2 weeks, or in response to the speculative pieces we'll surely see from the New York and Boston media once spring training starts.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
The Garcia thing is something I noted previously worried me as the season started to end. You hate to see a guy like that with that much potential be put in harm's way, but in fact he looked beter his last few MLB starts than he did at first so who can really be the judge.
Something must be in the water today where we agree, however, does it really matter if he looked better or worse during any point of last year? Sure, it's a stamina argument but it's all about his longterm development and he was clearly 'abused' in the sense of innings. He was throwing fire in Sep 2006 but how are those extra 40 competitive innings going to feel on his arm this summer? Kind of scary. Chances are, one of Olsen, Anibal, and J. Garcia have a significant DL stint, or worse, if they are not carefully, carefully, watched in 2007.

This is also why I give Verlander an 80% chance of exploding within 1-2 years.

JJ's trend is perfection, but that only happened because Girardi's stupid ass made him go out and pitch after a two hour rain delay and he got injured. That injury itself could be like placing an extra 20-30 innings on his arm.
I'm aware of that, but you can also note it as a relatively non-serious arm injury and it could be a "blessing in disguise." I'm really glad JJ didn't get up to 190ish even though I'm sure he could have. I use this same argument for Josh Beckett, whose blisters kept his IP totals reasonable his first few years, because clearly performance was never going to be an issue with him. Basic point is, I'm least worried about JJ of the 4 rookies even though he got DL'd end of the year. Johnson is the model of how the Marlins should grow Volstad, West, etc

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score

Yup, I don't think there's any question Dontrelle's value lies in his continued ability to throw 200 innings.

Top Bottom