Andino waiting for his chance

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
http://www.miamiherald.com/591/story/31278.html

Marlins' Andino waiting for a shot
BY MIKE PHILLIPS
JUPITER - Stuck.
That's the best way to describe where Robert Andino is today, wedged between promise and frustration.

Andino is the kind of shortstop who can take your breath away with his glove, but he's chasing more than balls hit in the hole these days -- he's chasing a big-league dream that's just out of reach.

He believes he has a Gold Glove-type future. The Marlins believe that, too. But there's no room for him -- at least not now.

Blame bad timing, or use the old clich? of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but Andino lost his chance to break into the big leagues last spring when Hanley Ramirez won the starting job at shortstop.

Marlins fans know the rest of that story. Ramirez emerged as one of the best in the game, running away with the Rookie of the Year Award. He is not only the Marlins shortstop today but also their shortstop of the future.

So where does that leave Andino?

''He's in a tough spot,'' Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said. ``He's a lot like the guy who was backing up Derek Jeter for 15 years at Columbus.''

That guy was Erick Almonte, who was actually at Triple A Columbus (Ohio) for three years. He is still bouncing around in the minors at 29 and trying to make Colorado's big-league club this spring as a utility infielder.

That could be Andino's future.

TRADE RUMORS

Or he could be traded. Rumors have floated about a possible trade, but the Marlins won't just give him away. It's likely Andino is destined to begin the season at Triple A again, because the Marlins don't want him sitting on the bench in Miami.

Andino is only 22, and most scouts agree he still needs more discipline at the plate. The Marlins want him to get as many at-bats as possible, and that's why unless Ramirez gets injured, Andino will wait again.

But he will make the trip from Jupiter to Albuquerque, N.M., with a better disposition this time. Andino was upset when he didn't make the Marlins last spring.

He's a year older and a bit more mature.

''I know what the situation is. I know. I know,'' Andino said. ``There's nothing I can do but work hard. I try not to think about it.''

He is a luxury for the Marlins, because he could step in at short in an emergency with his glove.

''For us as an organization, it's an asset to have a guy like that,'' said Gonzalez, who went to the same high school as Andino. Gonzalez graduated from Miami Southridge in 1982 -- two years before Andino was born.

Andino, who went to only one Marlins game growing up, said he never watched Alex Gonzalez, but they have similar traits. Like Andino, Gonzalez was considered moody and often struggled at the plate.

`TREMENDOUS RANGE'

Both can cover ground.

''He's got great range, tremendous range,'' said Fredi Gonzalez when asked to compare Andino to Alex Gonzalez. ``He's right there. You've got Alex, Hanley, [Rafael] Furcal, and he's right there with that group. I'm sure I'm missing a couple of guys, but he's right there. He's special.''

The Marlins see it all the time.

''He's a very talented shortstop,'' Marlins infield coach Perry Hill said. ``He can do everything. He makes the routine plays, but the spectacular plays, that's a bonus, and he makes those.

``And he's a very good student. I've had to run him off the field a few times.''

The question is when will Andino run onto the field for good?

''It's a business, and I don't know what's going through their minds,'' Andino said. ``I just want to play. They have seen me play for four years. They know what I can do. You can't do anything about it. Yeah, I guess I am kind of stuck.''

louiecastillo1

Muckdog
Reaction score
"went to only one Marlins game growing up". Typical marlins fan. :rolleyes:

poptart

Muckdog
Reaction score
"went to only one Marlins game growing up". Typical marlins fan. :rolleyes:

i dont think you, and everyone else who says "because the marlins only have 10,000 fans show up every game, so the fans suck", realize that not everyone in south florida is a marlins fan.

poptart

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd trade him while he still has some value.
what value? he hasn't proven anything.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd trade him while he still has some value.
what value? he hasn't proven anything.
a 23 year old in AAA has some value, especially one who can "pick it" with the best of em

on another note, I wonder why he hasn't gotten a look in CF

Top Bottom