What's new

Another CJ...

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Torborg is going to be resting Pudge this season! Why would he do that, he is a veteran and is going to help us get somewhere. With him out of the lineup its going to be harder...

Torborg to rest 'Pudge' regularly during season

By Joe Capozzi, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Friday, March 28, 2003

JUPITER -- Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez got the day off Thursday after taking a foul ball off his right foot Wednesday. That's about as close as the All-Star catcher has come to getting hurt this spring.

Rodriguez has lived up to his billing as Florida's $10 million catcher by hitting.365 in 17 games this spring with three home runs and a team-high 15 RBI. He's expected to return to the lineup today against the Montreal Expos.

But manager Jeff Torborg still doesn't want to take chances by playing Rodriguez too much this season. Rodriguez has missed an average of 58 games in each of the past three seasons because of injuries.

Rodriguez said he has felt great this spring and that he'll play as much as Torborg needs him. Torborg has said that he might play Rodriguez on a two-start, one-day-off rotation.

If Rodriguez caught two-thirds of Florida's games, that would work out to 108 games -- the same number he played last year with Texas.

"Obviously we'd like to keep him on the field as much as we can but not anything that would be detrimental to his production or health," said Torborg, who also wants to give playing time to two other catchers, Ramon Castro and Mike Redmond.

Decision time: Expect the Marlins to fill their final two roster spots after today's game. Al Martin and Gerald Williams are competing for the final outfield spot, and left-handers Juan Alvarez and Tommy Phelps are competing for a bullpen spot.

Torborg said he probably won't bring both outfielders to North Carolina on Saturday when the Marlins play their Class AA affiliate. Asked if that meant he would decide on the outfield spot after today's game, Torborg said he could decide on both the outfield and bullpen spots.

Link

G

Nothing wrong with a little rest. Should keep injuries from reoccuring often as well.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a little rest. Should keep injuries from reoccuring often as well.
He is projected to play 108 games...that to little.

Marlins4lyf

Muckdog
Reaction score
He is projected to play 108 games...that to little. trust me he will play more then 110 games because if we conteding by August he will play every day.He will have to play to help the Marlins.

CyggyMarlin

Here For The Plan
Reaction score
Redmond will probably start against Glavine :mischief
Castro gets a few starts.....

and Pudge can always come into a game in the later innings...PH and then take over as catcher

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Generally, a catcher is not going to make more than 120 starts in a season anyway. And with Pudge's recent history, a little more rest is not a bad idea, hoping that he will be healthy when the games will hopefully be important down the road. When Pudge is out of the lineup, Encarnacion will move up to the 3 spot in the order, and Redmond or Castro would be in the 6th or 7th spot.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
That is the idea isn't it? To have Pudge healthy (having played himself back into shape) for a run at a playoff spot.
I think you're reading this too literally. Be assured that if the Marlins are battling in September Pudge will be in there every game. Now they may pull him in the fifth or sixth in a blow-out, but the whole idea has to be to have his bat in the lineup when it counts.

You know what they say - an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yea but we are paying him 10 Mill just to be in the bench most of the time? We are only having him for 1 year. He should at least play 110+...

1truefan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Eh..this is a good move by Torreborge(yes, the spelling is intentionally wrong)....

Gives a chance for Castro and Redmond to play. Not that bad of an idea

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
He is projected to play 108 games...that to little.
He should at least play 110+...

Wow, those 109th and 110th games must be really important to you. Pudge will play as much as he can so that he can help the team as much as possible without overdoing him in the process. The CJ situation was different. In that case, the Marlins were trying to hurt the team as little as possible while trying to jusitfy his salary.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Its not fair that we are paying that guy so much just to be on the bench. I want him to play 125 games thats why i said 110+....We need his offense and he is a perfect number 3 hitter we need.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Its not fair that we are paying that guy so much just to be on the bench. I want him to play 125 games thats why i said 110+....We need his offense and he is a perfect number 3 hitter we need.
pardon my french, but what are you smoking?...... Pudge is getting older and even if he wasnt, catchers dont play as many games anymore..... if healthy he will play in 130+ games but he wont start all of them..... Id rather have a healthy Pudge down the stretch when we need him anyway.....

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
um AJ.. you need to learn a little baseball..

Rest helps players in the long term which is what we need to contend.

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
This a good idea by Jeff rest Pudge as much as possible

BTW: the mets have Glavine and Leiter two guys who Redmond owns!

Latest posts

Top Bottom