What's new

Anyone else think the Wii sucks?

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
I was on the fence as to what new system to get (xbox 360, ps3 and wii). I liked the idea of spending only 250 on a system... Well I played the wii a few times, and I can say it officially sucks. The graphics are barely better than gamecube. I hate the controller. Oh you can pretend to swing a a tennis racket! If you want to swing a racket go outside and play. I played super paper mario and was not impressed. I usually only play sports games or GTA (and similar games). Sports games on the wii are horrid.

I'm down to the xbox 360 and ps3 now, I will need to play them more before I decide in august when madden comes out.

any other wii haters out there?

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Wii is the ultimate system if you live in a dorm or an apartment with a couple of friends. There is no better multiplayer system out there. I'm definetly going to pick one up for my dorm.

Graphically it's subpar, but so was PS2 compared to GC and Xbox, and it's the best selling system ever. Nintendo realized people want games that are intuitive and that anyone can play, and they realized people don't want to waste 600 dollars for technology that will be obsolete in 5 years. Because we all know a new system will be coming out in 4-5 years and you'll have to spend another 600 or more. It's not worth it.

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
I was on the fence as to what new system to get (xbox 360, ps3 and wii). I liked the idea of spending only 250 on a system... Well I played the wii a few times, and I can say it officially sucks. The graphics are barely better than gamecube. I hate the controller. Oh you can pretend to swing a a tennis racket! If you want to swing a racket go outside and play. I played super paper mario and was not impressed. I usually only play sports games or GTA (and similar games). Sports games on the wii are horrid.

I'm down to the xbox 360 and ps3 now, I will need to play them more before I decide in august when madden comes out.

I'm not a big video game person at all, but I agree. I don't get why people are all about the wii and I died laughing when I saw the commercial of people pretending to swing a tennis racket. I mean come on! Go outside!! Play some real freakin' tennis!

Anyways, I am deciding between the 360 and PS3 too. I only want Madden and NCAA Football so I will wait to see if the prices drops for the PS3 by then.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score

I'm not a big video game person at all, but I agree. I don't get why people are all about the wii and I died laughing when I saw the commercial of people pretending to swing a tennis racket. I mean come on! Go outside!! Play some real freakin' tennis!

Anyways, I am deciding between the 360 and PS3 too. I only want Madden and NCAA Football so I will wait to see if the prices drops for the PS3 by then.

Ya I am in the same boat as you. I really only want to get madden, ncaa, mlb, maybe nhl and of course grand theft auto 4. I am hoping the price drops soon. I heard that you can get them online for about $499 (for the good one).

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
Madden for Wii is so good.

I am not a Nintendo fanboy, for the record. I've never owned a Nintendo system, but I appreciate how they always try to innovate and do something different. I've owned PSX, Dreamcast (IMO the best system ever), Xbox, and I have to say, I wish I had just gotten their Nintendo counterparts, now. The nintendo systems have aged so much better. Go try and play a PS1 game and then play an N64 game. You'll know what I mean.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score

I havent seen it. Do you have to move the controller every play?

How does madden on the wii stack up against madden on xbox or ps3?

Jonny Ramos

Muckdog
Reaction score
Wow... this thread suits me. Just see my sig. and you'll know what i think of the Wii.

Edit: If you are not: 4-10yr old, a girl, or 55-100yr old... a wii does not suit you.

Graphically it's subpar, but so was PS2 compared to GC and Xbox, and it's the best selling system ever. Nintendo realized people want games that are intuitive and that anyone can play, and they realized people don't want to waste 600 dollars for technology that will be obsolete in 5 years. Because we all know a new system will be coming out in 4-5 years and you'll have to spend another 600 or more. It's not worth it.

yeeeaaa.... riiiight. apparently you do not own a ps3 or 360, or have no clue what you are talking about. The wii right now has the worse attach ratio, and the games out right now... well what games. More and more game developers are shying away from making games for this system because of its "obsolete technology" as you might put it. So even if you are remotely right about the 5 year thing for next generation gaming, the wii's time is just about up.

I will suggest you look further when buying a console, see what games are coming out for it. For PS3 owners, right now things are pretty slow. But in a couple of months, when Home, Little Big Planet, Metal Gear Solid 4, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Final Fantasy 13.. so on come out, you will be very busy person, i assure you.

PS: By the way.. if you own a HD tv, it would be such a waste not to go with the ps3/360. Once you go HD gaming, you wouldn't want to go back. It makes a realllllly big difference.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score

Graphically, it's poo on top of a larger piece of poo.

But in terms of game play, it just adds a whole other level to the fun of madden. It's nice to be able to do something different for once in the last 10 years. Yeah, you move the controller to do things like swat, juke, stiff arm, etc., but it's all very intuitive, and they incorporate it very well into the game. 5 minutes of practice and you'll be playing like a pro.

And for once, it's actually fun to play with more than one other person.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
Wow... this thread suits me. Just see my sig. and you'll know what i think of the Wii.

ha is that the only baseball game on wii? It looks like a childrens game

Graphically, it's poo on top of a larger piece of poo.

But in terms of game play, it just adds a whole other level to the fun of madden. It's nice to be able to do something different for once in the last 10 years. Yeah, you move the controller to do things like swat, juke, stiff arm, etc., but it's all very intuitive, and they incorporate it very well into the game. 5 minutes of practice and you'll be playing like a pro.

And for once, it's actually fun to play with more than one other person.

You mean on the same team?

Bradcore

Captain Awesome
Reaction score

1. Don't care how good the graphics are.
2. Some of us don't always have the chance to go outside and play. Not everyone has perpetual access to tennis courts and bowling alleys.
3. I personally had a blast with Super Paper Mario, but to each their own.
4. I believe Madden overall got better reviews on the Wii than it did on the other systems.
5. While I fully, intend to get a 360 and PS3 at some point, I am not going to spend $400-$600 respectively to play the same thing I've been playing for the past decade with prettier graphics. The Wii offers an entirely new gaming experience that can be played by anyone. Even my non gamer friends come over and we'll spend a few hours on the Wii.

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score
A bit off topic, but I am thinking about picking up a PSP. What are everyone's thoughts on it?

A bit off topic, but I am thinking about picking up a PSP. What are everyone's thoughts on it?

Jonny Ramos

Muckdog
Reaction score

yeeeaaa.... riiiight. apparently you do not own a ps3 or 360, or have no clue what you are talking about. The wii right now has the worse attach ratio, and the games out right now... well what games. More and more game developers are shying away from making games for this system because of its "obsolete technology" as you might put it. So even if you are remotely right about the 5 year thing for next generation gaming, the wii's time is just about up.

I will suggest you look further when buying a console, see what games are coming out for it. For PS3 owners, right now things are pretty slow. But in a couple of months, when Home, Little Big Planet, Metal Gear Solid 4, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Final Fantasy 13.. so on come out, you will be very busy person, i assure you.

PS: By the way.. if you own a HD tv, it would be such a waste not to go with the ps3/360. Once you go HD gaming, you wouldn't want to go back. It makes a realllllly big difference.

I cant comment on the PSP... personally it didn't appeal to me.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score

None of those games appeal to me. Since I've been in college, I've found I'm less likely to play in-depth single player games, as there's just too much going on around me to want to just sit alone and play games by myself.

Junior, the PSP is solid, but it's definetly more of a single player system than the DS. I'd definetly reccomend it for Power Stone alone. That game is so good.

Jonny Ramos

Muckdog
Reaction score

None of those games appeal to me. Since I've been in college, I've found I'm less likely to play in-depth single player games, as there's just too much going on around me to want to just sit alone and play games by myself.

Junior, the PSP is solid, but it's definetly more of a single player system than the DS. I'd definetly reccomend it for Power Stone alone. That game is so good.

As the technology available to the developers increase, the wii is going to see less and less 3rd party games. In other words, games that always come out in all systems (madden, mlb2k7, those are extreme examples, 2 of the biggest) will either not be available for the wii, or it will be ported over so bad it'll be worthless, Take spideran 3 for example (which wasn't that great of a game to bein with).
I just think the wii is a really bad investment, maybe not right now, but 1 or 2 years from now when HD television and Blu-ray/HD-DVD is going to be pushed to mass market.

Go with 360, if you have a 1080p TV(if you dont, wait for 1080p plasmas or go with a rear projection since LCDs have a low refresh rate) you can download the 1080p update through XBox Live, get an HDV cable...and play Gears of War, the newest Ghost Recon, and soon to be alot more titles(Halo 3!) in the best graphics possbile.

Plus you can trash talk random 9-13 years olds with the headset. Talk about their moms, their lack of skills, try to pronounce "pwned". Its a good time.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
As the technology available to the developers increase, the wii is going to see less and less 3rd party games. In other words, games that always come out in all systems (madden, mlb2k7, those are extreme examples, 2 of the biggest) will either not be available for the wii, or it will be ported over so bad it'll be worthless, Take spideran 3 for example (which wasn't that great of a game to bein with).
I just think the wii is a really bad investment, maybe not right now, but 1 or 2 years from now when HD television and Blu-ray/HD-DVD is going to be pushed to mass market.

I honestly don't think Blu-ray is going to catch on at all, and if it does, it wont' for another 10 years or so. People don't want to have to buy their whole movie collection over again, and I think the fact that HD-DVD has more name recognition puts it at an advantage. So if Blu-Ray doesn't catch on, you will have the ultimate obsolete technology. Sony has a history of trying to push their own formats with almost no success at all (Minidisk, UMD). In fact, the only ones that have been adopted are those that are universal, like the SD memory cards, which are compatible with almost every major device now (including Wii).

I remember when they said regular television would be completely phased out by 2010, and yes still even on the biggest cable providers there are no more 30 HD channels available, and the cost simply isn't worth it for the average american.

And I can garauntee if the Wii keeps selling as well as it is (and I don't see why it wouldn't, everyone but Sony and Microsoft fanboys love it) 3rd parties won't abandon, regardless of the technology. It's cheaper to develop for the Wii, since the graphics engine is something the developers are used to, whereas with 360 and PS3 the developers are still trying to figure out just what they have.

And the funny thing is, Nintendo doesn't even feel they are competing with the PS3 and 360, because they are going for a different market share. PS3 and 360 are targetting the standard videogame market of 18-24 y/o males, but that isn't really a lucrative market compared to what nintendo is targetting, which is everyone else.

Bradcore

Captain Awesome
Reaction score

Do you even follow video game news? More and more developers are pledging their support to make games for the Wii. People are STILL waiting in lines overnight for the Wii. The Wii is a cash cow for 3rd parties. And your bad port argument is worthless. Many developers initially expected the PS3 and 360 to be the big sellers, so Wii effort was initially low and rushed. Now that the exact opposite has happened and the Wii is selling incredibly, developers are switching focus and more and more effort into quality titles will start appearing on it.

HD tv, is starting to catch on, but you've got about 4-5 years at least before it becomes the standard. Also, HD doesn't make a huge difference in the fun of games. I've played plenty on HD and you know what, it's pretty, but it has no effect whatsoever on my enjoyment of the game.

Technically "regular" TV will be gone by 2010. Wont all be high definition but analog is going to be gone. Actually, earlier than 2010. February 13th, 2009 if I am not mistaken.

Anyhow, its too early to see who will win the format wars, but if you put HD-DVD and bluray up next to eachother, bluray wins easily...it simply blows HD-DVD out of the water.

Its only problem right now is affordability, as a new standalone player will cost at least $899 and the movies themselves start at $25.

A bluray player on a 1080p TV connected by an HDMI is as realistic as looking out of your window.

Jonny Ramos

Muckdog
Reaction score

I honestly don't think Blu-ray is going to catch on at all, and if it does, it wont' for another 10 years or so. People don't want to have to buy their whole movie collection over again, and I think the fact that HD-DVD has more name recognition puts it at an advantage. So if Blu-Ray doesn't catch on, you will have the ultimate obsolete technology. Sony has a history of trying to push their own formats with almost no success at all (Minidisk, UMD). In fact, the only ones that have been adopted are those that are universal, like the SD memory cards, which are compatible with almost every major device now (including Wii).

I remember when they said regular television would be completely phased out by 2010, and yes still even on the biggest cable providers there are no more 30 HD channels available, and the cost simply isn't worth it for the average american.

And I can garauntee if the Wii keeps selling as well as it is (and I don't see why it wouldn't, everyone but Sony and Microsoft fanboys love it) 3rd parties won't abandon, regardless of the technology. It's cheaper to develop for the Wii, since the graphics engine is something the developers are used to, whereas with 360 and PS3 the developers are still trying to figure out just what they have.

And the funny thing is, Nintendo doesn't even feel they are competing with the PS3 and 360, because they are going for a different market share. PS3 and 360 are targetting the standard videogame market of 18-24 y/o males, but that isn't really a lucrative market compared to what nintendo is targetting, which is everyone else.

ok if you say so. every1 is entitled to their opinion, even if they are wrong.

Top Bottom